Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2020, 05:24 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
No system is going to give you everything that is out there... maybe you're looking for the Tamron VC II f/2.8 zooms? People on Sony and mirrorless in general can't get them either... but the Pentax doesn't cost much more and the Pentax 24-70 is actually the Tamron rebadged and (arguably) re-coated. The Pentax 70-200 2.8 is considered superior to the Tamron, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg more.

And Pentax has all these wonderful little primes that are unique to the system. You talk about the 43 "pixie dust"... yes it's a lens that a lot of people swear by, and no one can get them except Pentax shooters... well - actually - Pentax oddly enough did release it in Leica M mount at one point (!!!), but those are hard to find!

Get the picture? (no pun intended )

Also - what APS-C lenses do you have for your K-x? Some actually work on full frame and do so very well, like the "plastic fantastic" DA 35 2.4 and the DA 40mm and 70mm LImiteds. The DA 50 1.8 also works for the most part. Even some zooms work in part of the range - the DA 16-45 can be used from about 21mm to 45mm as a wide angle full frame. The DA 12-24 is good from about 18-24mm as well. I've seen people get good results from the middle of the range in the DA 20-40mm Limited.
Can't Sony users and other brands use the FA ltds with an adapter of sorts?

05-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yes but the Pixie Dust gets messed up by the adapter so its not quite the same experience.
05-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yes but the Pixie Dust gets messed up by the adapter so its not quite the same experience.
Can you expand? I would have thought the pixie dust is the lens and not the camera, it exists on Pentax film cameras so why not another brand of camera? In fact... I would expect the pixie dust to diminish using a FA77 on a K3 (crop) vs using an FA77 on a A7 (FF)...
05-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Yes they can - without the AF of coruse.

Also, there is always the question of the smaller opening throat of the FE mount - there were some tests made with Leica M lenses with an adapter to a Sony FE camera, that show some obvious softening of the corners compared to a full-frame Leica camera using the same lens. I can't find this test right now...

I know Ken Rockwell (yup, him) made those kinds of tests as well. Here's a quote from him:

"Adapters are great for fun; you can get adapters cheap for any kind of lens, but not only may autofocus be iffy, adapted wide-angle lenses usually aren't very sharp on the sides at large apertures because Sony's full-frame mirrorless sensors are optimized for lenses with a curved fields. Most other adapted lenses won't seem very sharp on the sides at large apertures due their flat fields not interfacing well with the curved fields needed by Sony's sensors on these cameras. If you get the center in focus, the sides will probably be off, and if you get the sides in focus, the center will be off. This is more of a problem with wider lenses and at large apertures; stop a lens down and the sides will come into better focus." (Source: Sony A7 III Review )
He's also done some adapted Leica to Sony tests against native Leica and also Canon shots here: https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/comparisons/2013-12-leica-sony-canon/ - keep in mind that he's just doing out of camera JPEGs so if you process your image you will no doubt get much better results.

I think that for most uses, though, it would be perfectly fine. Just not native support or AF, in case that matters.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 05-22-2020 at 08:11 AM.
05-22-2020, 08:07 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would have thought the pixie dust is the lens and not the camera
As I understand it the Pixie Dust does reside in the lens but as the Pixie Dust Enhanced Image travels from the lens toward the recording media (either film or sensor) it gets confused at the adapter. Some of the Pixie Dust wears off or gets misaligned as the photons of the image travel through the non-Pentax adapter parts. This results in a non-Pixie Dust Enhanced Image. Or at least only a semi-Pixie Dust Enhanced Image.

This is just my understanding of the process. Since I have no non-Pentax DSLRs and no adapters I have no personal experience with this. YMMV.