Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2020, 07:55 AM   #1

Bought a K-1 in 2020, did I make a mistake?

Like the title suggests, I just recently impulse bought a K-1 for one hell of a deal. After purchasing and doing some research about lens availability, it seems my options are more limited with Pentax for full frame lens options. I'm somewhat of a casual photographer and it seems like I'm limited to either expensive first hand Pentax glass (DFA 24-70 2.8, DFA* 70-200 2.8), or older full frame 3rd party glass (Tamron 27-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8). Are there many future prospects for full frame lens options, both Pentax and 3rd party? Even if the prospects exists, will they be worth the first hand price tag vs ditching Pentax and going Canon/Nikon while buying used modern glass? I'm interested in your thoughts.

05-07-2020, 08:05 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
B&H catalogs 59 lenses for Pentax Full Frame
DSLR Lenses, SLR Lenses | Camera Lens | B&H
05-07-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lowmjac2 Quote
Like the title suggests, I just recently impulse bought a K-1 for one hell of a deal. After purchasing and doing some research about lens availability, it seems my options are more limited with Pentax for full frame lens options. I'm somewhat of a casual photographer and it seems like I'm limited to either expensive first hand Pentax glass (DFA 24-70 2.8, DFA* 70-200 2.8), or older full frame 3rd party glass (Tamron 27-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8). Are there many future prospects for full frame lens options, both Pentax and 3rd party? Even if the prospects exists, will they be worth the first hand price tag vs ditching Pentax and going Canon/Nikon while buying used modern glass? I'm interested in your thoughts.
If you must have f/2.8 zooms, that's about the situation if you want "modern" glass. There are, of course, many options when it comes to older glass (both Pentax and third party). There are also options for variable aperture zooms - the HD Pentax-D FA 28-105 f/3.5-5.6 has great image quality and is relatively small and light.
05-07-2020, 08:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax is unlikely ever to have anything like the range of currently-manufactured lenses that Canon and Nikon do. The question is what lenses do you need. The D-FA 28~105 is highly regarded and a good value. The new D-FA 70~210 is a little more controversial from the value standpoint, but is certainly cheaper (and smaller and lighter) than the D-FA 70~200 you mention. Several Pentax macro lenses are also available new, at reasonable price.

And then there's the used market -- even the latest version of the K-mount retains functional compatibility with the entire range of Pentax lenses going back to the 1970s.

05-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

What exactly are you looking for? Your preference for 2.8 glass is somewhat limiting. The Pentax 15-30, 24-70 and 70 200 are about the same as everyone else's. SO I'm not seeing how paying for a more expensive body helps you out. But maybe if you list your "perfect package" people can help you out. It may seem to you there are fewer options, but the opposite side of that, is there's way too many option for us to start guessing what might interest you.
05-07-2020, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

There's also several primes around as well - new and used, third party and Pentax.

What sort of photography do like to do?

As a simple 'do it all' lens to get you going the 28-105 is pretty highly spoken about.
05-07-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Which K-1 did you buy? They did go through an upgrade if I am not mistaken.

The K-1 still has a lot of lenses that can be used,Full Frame Lenses | PentaxForums.com I would suggest you check around this forum before you decide to go a different route! Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Also check out the lens roadmap here or available at mosphotos, it is a web site run by an administrator here. (Adam) Pentax lens compatibility chart.

Welcome to the Forum!
Cheers and enjoy your K-1!

Last edited by SharkyCA; 05-07-2020 at 08:46 AM.
05-07-2020, 08:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If the current lens lineup and the roadmap will not make you happy, you should move on. Why did you buy K1 - lenses make the images.
05-07-2020, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would question... is there really something that the Tam 70-200 2.8 or Sig 70-200 2.8 (and other associated focal lengths) don't offer you?? It's true that they no longer support new Pentax mount, but things haven't really changed that much. I've had both the above lenses, and each did everything I imagine wanting it to do. They are both rugged (the Tam maybe a bit more), and if you want silent then the Sigma AF (my current) is whisper level. I've never used the DFA, but I have both the 28-105 + 24-70 and if the 70-200 performs similarly, it doesn't feel like its a noticeable difference. Maybe just the ability to focus-override (that's a legitimate feature when using it with AF, then making a small adjustment to the focus you really want) And then when you factor price (Sig/Tam can be had for roughly $500 vs newer 1.4-7k+ super lenses. It's not 3x as good, if even 1.5x), its punching! I will admit that the Tam 27-75 2.8 isn't as good as the DFA, but for $200 the Tam was well worth it imo, as it gave me the ability to experiment with 2.8 on FF for the first time, while I waited for the DFA price to come down (~$550).

If I feel any limitation in my lens, its in the camera body itself (ex: not having the FPS or Buffer for a situation). But as Serk said, if 'modern' is what you want, that is the situation. I would just say that there doesn't seem to be that big of a difference to me, except in price. When other mounts get new 3rd-support, it is easy to feel like you're getting left behind though so I understand the feeling.

Last edited by landofcourtness; 05-07-2020 at 08:49 AM.
05-07-2020, 08:42 AM - 7 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm somewhat of a casual photographer and it seems like I'm limited to either expensive first hand Pentax glass
If you are a casual photographer just get the DFA 28-105 and enjoy. The K-1 is not for everyone. Pentax is not for everyone. Full frame is not for everyone. Nobody here can tell you what you need. Each brand has pros and cons. If you are looking for a large range of new third party glass then Canon or Nikon are likely better choices. But there are very few focal lengths that are not covered by Pentax unless you are planning on buying dozens of lenses.

For landscape and astrophotography I do not think there is a better camera available. But if your interests are in other areas then you need to prioritize what is important to you.

And finally I would suggest you quit worrying about the brand or the lenses and just enjoy photography. Despite all the words typed about it the gear is really immaterial. A rather famous National Geographic photographer stated in a lecture I was in that most of his published images were taken with a beat up old, 28-200, kit lens. its not the gear, its the eye of the person behind the camera.
05-07-2020, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bought a K-1 in 2020, did I make a mistake?
I'm somewhat of a casual photographer and it seems like I'm limited to either expensive first hand Pentax glass (DFA 24-70 2.8, DFA* 70-200 2.8), or older full frame 3rd party glass (Tamron 27-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8).
Welcome to Pentax Forums!

The K-1 is a great camera. Do you have any Pentax lenses at this moment?

As a casual photographer, I think you have many choices for useful, quality lenses. For example, see this list: Pentax K-1 - Lens Compatibility | PentaxForums.com

For specifications and user reviews of specific lenses, you might wish to look at the world's most comprehensive Pentax lens review database: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

As an example of the possibilities, you could get the HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm zoom lens, as mentioned above. For more versatility, add to that a couple of relatively low-cost, wide-aperture prime lenses (i.e., single focal length) such as the wide-angle HD Pentax-FA 35mm f/2 and a lightweight 'normal' 50mm. Or, you could opt for one of the fabulous FA Limited lenses in 31, 43, or 77 mm, albeit for more money. There is also an almost unlimited selection of older lenses that work well on the K-1.

The newest modern wide-aperture lenses generally offer exceptional optical qualities -- the HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm f/1.4 is a superlative example -- but if your budget is somewhat constrained, there are plenty of other options.

Second-hand lenses are often available, either through the Pentax Forums Marketplace, or from reputable online retailers that carry used gear. Even the more recent lenses appear on the used market occasionally.

I'd recommend that a bit more research and consideration of your needs and possible options would be useful.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-07-2020 at 10:31 AM.
05-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Check out these pages for new lens options:
Full Frame Lenses | PentaxForums.com
Full Frame Third Party Lenses | PentaxForums.com

The key bases are covered with modern glass, and more options are certainly on their way, such as the DFA* 85mm F1.4 hopefully this year. If you open it up to legacy lenses (one of Pentax's big strengths) you'll find yourself with more choices than you can imagine

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-07-2020, 10:22 AM - 4 Likes   #13
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Welcome to Pentax Forums, and welcome to the diverse world of the ubiquitous K mount.

After purchasing and doing some research about lens availability, it seems my options are more limited with Pentax for full frame lens options. I'm somewhat of a casual photographer and it seems like I'm limited to either expensive first hand Pentax glass . . . . .
Hmmmm . . . . .

Limited, eh?

Consider this. Any K mount lens ever made will mount and work on the K-1.

Add to that any M42 thread mount lens can be mounted with a simple and cheap adapter.

There are hundreds, perhaps even several thousand lenses available to use on the K-1.

You don’t need an autofocus lens to make great images. I have a K-1, and not a single current lens for it. For me, if a lens doesn’t have an aperture ring, it is worthless. I have managed to collect a large array of manual lenses, some in M42, others in K mount, and all perform very well. Many of those lenses are f2.8 too.

I even got a Zuiko (Olympus) 35mm f2.8 shift lens that I converted to K mount with a low cost and easy to install mount converter.

Awesome little lens.

So when you say your options are limited, it isn’t because there are plenty of options, it is because you have limited yourself by only considering current auto do it all for you lenses.

Open your horizons and explore the creative options available by using older glass.
05-07-2020, 11:28 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
... I even got a Zuiko (Olympus) 35mm f2.8 shift lens that I converted to K mount with a low cost and easy to install mount converter.

Awesome little lens.

Open your horizons and explore the creative options available by using older glass.
That's cool ...

And "Welcome" to the K-mount world and the vast realm of M42's ... I have a lot of much faster glass than f/2.8. AF is not all it's cracked up to be ...

Try some fast Pentax K and Takumar M42 lenses ... plus there's many other brands with K-mount and M42. Plus like Racer, one can convert to K-mount either professionally or a good old DIY hack job ... like my Dremel modified Yashica 50/1.4.

Unless AF is a must for you, there's a lot of older glass that just kicks the living crap out of most of the newer stuff.
05-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, and to K-mount should you decide to stay

The selection of new full frame OEM and third party glass for K-mount is more limited than for other systems, but - frankly - there's more than enough to keep any photographer busy. Almost all of the lenses available new can also be found used, usually at good cost savings (there's no need for cost of lenses to be a prohibiting factor). There's a decent back-catalogue of film era AF glass, too, some of which is very good and quite inexpensive... and a positively huge range of "vintage" K-mount and M42 manual focus lenses, many of which can be had for very little money. There are some real gems amongst those

As others have indicated, if you want the widest possible range of latest OEM and third party lenses, you're better off with Nikon or Canon. I don't personally think there'd be much (if any) advantage for your shooting, but there's certainly more gear to choose from, if that matters greatly to you.