Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-20-2020, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #1

Hello from Massachusetts

Hello, I live in Andover MA and also spent time in Laconia NH.

I owned a Pentax K200D for over ten years along with two smc lens and a Tamron lens. The K200 was a well made camera and I enjoyed using it. That experience lead me to recently replace it with a Pentax K5. The K5 is definitely the best camera I’ve ever owned. I’ve only had it for a few days but I can tell. I’m still learning its features and I plan on getting a lot of use out of it. Enjoyment from that is one way I can get back at the covid-19 pandemic.

I look forward to participating in this forum.

06-20-2020, 09:03 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from Australia.
06-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums. I also have had the K-5. It produces excellent images.

Happy shooting!
06-21-2020, 01:36 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard from the Highlands of Scotland.

06-26-2020, 07:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome... fellow Massachusetts fist-bump!! Boston, MA

I remember when I got my K-5... Good luck not upgrading again in the next year or so... haha
06-26-2020, 06:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
K1 not in the budget

A K1 is not in my price range right now, but who knows I may get the bug.
06-27-2020, 02:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Haha... I definitely would just get acclimated to the extremely perfect ergonomics, especially if its your first Digital Camera or ILC. That Green button was such a gamechanger in terms of having me embrace the other features and freedom to explore manual. I had a K-5, and then jumped up to the K-1 after shooting exclusively with K-5 for 2+ years. But I do believe that the K-3 is truly a great value! and can usually be had between $300-400 (a big range I know, but I got mine for $325 w/grip). The bump in MP to 24, 2-card slot, AA-simulator filter, ISO performance... are really big upgrades for the price, almost to the point where I would say the APS-C offerings since haven't really been that much better. That 2+ years with K-5 really helped to develop my understanding though.

Welcome!

06-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
Used the Green Button

Thanks for the tip on the use of the green button. This morning on my walk I took several images in manual mode using the green button to get the calculated exposure. I adjusted the aperture on some of the images and got good results. Of course the conditions were ideal so it was hard to take a bad picture, but I think I'm beginning to get the idea.

One thing I have to get use to on the K5 is using the histogram. It seems the only way to get it is hitting the live button, peeking at it in the LCD and then going to the viewfinder. I own an Olympus E-M10 I bought 3 years ago at Hunt's in Melrose at a price I couldn't pass up. It's mirrorless and the histogram appears in the viewfinder and I've gotten use to that.
06-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normm Quote
Thanks for the tip on the use of the green button. This morning on my walk I took several images in manual mode using the green button to get the calculated exposure. I adjusted the aperture on some of the images and got good results. Of course the conditions were ideal so it was hard to take a bad picture, but I think I'm beginning to get the idea.

One thing I have to get use to on the K5 is using the histogram. It seems the only way to get it is hitting the live button, peeking at it in the LCD and then going to the viewfinder. I own an Olympus E-M10 I bought 3 years ago at Hunt's in Melrose at a price I couldn't pass up. It's mirrorless and the histogram appears in the viewfinder and I've gotten use to that.
Welcome from Bedford, MA. Still using the K-5 I bought in 2011. Takes great photos & haven't yet seen anything that would make me want to replace it, although I have hopes for the soon to be new APS-C.
06-29-2020, 06:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!