Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #1

Interested user for astrophotography

Hello all,

I am now looking at Pentax cameras for over a year for astrophotography and would be very interested in hearing if the K-1 or Kp is a better choose for starters like me.

Thanks a lot for your inside.

07-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Both are great cameras for astrophotography - you can't go wrong with either.

Minor advantages of the KP are its smaller size and lower cost.

Minor advantages of the K-1 are its bigger battery and very versatile tilting screen.

One tie-breaker might be the type of astrophotography you want to do.

If you want to do wide-angle astrophotography (Milky Way, meteor showers, aurora, star trails, or stars+landscapes), then the larger sensor of the K-1 might make it a better choice.

If you want to do narrow-angle astrophotography (moon, nebulae, galaxies, etc.), then the smaller sensor of the KP might make it a better choice.

Have fun!
07-03-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi MCheiron, Welcome to the forums! You can also check out the "photos" section. You can find samples there.
07-03-2020, 11:45 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard, enjoy all that the forum has to offer.

07-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums.

I would recommend the K-1 if you are alright with the full frame type DSLR and the choices are only the K-1 or the KP. If feasible, I would also recommend the K-1 II, which I have. It has always done an excellent job for me pertaining to all aspects of performance.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-03-2020 at 02:50 PM.
07-05-2020, 07:10 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As others have mentioned the KP would be a good choice as well.

If you add the battery grip accessory, you can load a larger battery in the grip as an external battery, then set the external battery as the main battery. When it gets close to empty, simply remove it, the camera does an auto switch to the on-board battery, replace the external battery with a freshly charged battery, and the camera will do another auto-switch back to the external battery. Just remember to set the external battery as main, otherwise it will deplete the onboard battery first. This would give you as much on-time without the hassle of an external power source.