Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Hi from Newcastle, Australia!

Hey folks,

I just ordered my first DSLR yesterday and should have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week hopefully.

After a few weeks of intense research, I had narrowed the field down to the K20D, the Canon 40D and the Nikon D90, which were all in my price range. While the Canon and Nikon undoubtedly produce excellent images, I decided on the K20D, which seems to be a better all around package and feels the best in my hands.

My last camera was the Panasonic FZ30, which was actually a great camera, but I'm ready to step up into the DSLR world. I had a Canon EOS 1000N SLR about 15 or so years ago, but that's my only SLR experience to date.

I'm very excited about my new purchase, and will read as much advice on it as I can over the next few days so I can hit the ground running with the K20D.

If anyone wants to point out any good threads I might like to read first, I'd appreciate it

No doubt I'll speak to many of you in the near future. It's a good forum you guys have here

Cheers

Andy

11-04-2008, 03:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Andy!

Welcome! You've down your homework well like the Pentax crowd in this forum.

It interesting that you say the K20D felt good in your hands - that seems to be a characteristic of the current crop of Pentax SLRs compared to the other manufacturer offerings.

Anyhow, make the most of this little group! There are lots of interesting threads. Check out the market place for used equipment - though with the AUD$ being worth nothing its a bit hard to buy lenses from overseas. But there are some very good lens reviews here to help you choose, as well as a thread we're building on Aussie Pentax new and used dealers.

The thing to do is search for what your interested in like batteries, macro, RAW vs JPEG (RAW is the way to go IMHO) or whatever. The photo gallery has lots of images, and as you have to specify camera/lens info it means you have an idea of how lenses perform.

There is a pile of knowledge buried in this forum, and its not just speculation as quite a few posts have links to other data.

So enjoy - and hope to see some of your images soon!
11-04-2008, 03:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi Andy,

welcome to the forum!

I congratulate you on your good taste and excellent decision making capabilities. It requires a refined taste and good research to choose the Pentax K20D over the Nikon D90. I believe you made the right move and hope you'll have a lot of fun.

QuoteOriginally posted by ViS Quote
If anyone wants to point out any good threads I might like to read first, I'd appreciate it
Check out this one: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/19036-my-2500-word-essay-k20d.html
11-04-2008, 03:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
The thing to do is search for what your interested in like batteries, macro, RAW vs JPEG (RAW is the way to go IMHO) or whatever.
Yes, second that, but note that the forum search facility isn't always the best choice.

Also try google with your search terms and add
"site:www.pentaxforums.com"
to restrict search results to this forum.

11-04-2008, 04:16 AM   #5
ViS
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm sure it's been said many times before, but apart from the in-body stabilisation and excellent range of lenses, the main reason for my decision was the location and set out of the controls. The Canon and Nikon's controls seemed to be in positions that your fingers don't naturally fall on (well at least my fingers). From what I've read, there isn't much you can't do on the K20D while keeping your eye on the viewfinder, once you learn the position of everything. This camera seems to have been designed by someone who really wanted to use it.

My main photographic interests are photos of my kids and anything macro. I'm sure you will see plenty of both in the coming months

Last edited by ViS; 11-04-2008 at 04:18 AM. Reason: grammar & spelling
11-06-2008, 04:49 AM   #6
Inactive Account

G'day ViS,
Just joined myself, bought the K20D and just took it out for a spin. Will have to get myself a macro lens sooner rather than later as that's part of what drives my groove as well. I got the DA*16-50 zoom to start with, should be a few weeks at least, before I have that all sorted out! So far I'd have to agree with you, the layout of the buttons pretty much makes sense without much effort.
Mikel.
11-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

G'day Andy,

You won't regret going with the K20d, I expect to see a few cracker shots posted over on ACE in the near future to help a few more see the light.

Cheers,
Mike (a.k.a Skippy)
11-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
ViS
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah Skippy, I'm sure they'll be sick of hearing about it soon enough

That's why this forum is good. Nobody here seems to get sick of hearing how good it is

11-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Gday Andy,
How's it hanging?

Peter
11-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
I expect to see a few cracker shots posted over on ACE in the near future to help a few more see the light.
)
What does ACE stand for?
11-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What does ACE stand for?
Australian Cichlid Enthusiasts forum - Andy is a fish nerd (not that there's anything wrong with that ) I did my best over there to reassure him Pentax was the right choice
11-07-2008, 03:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Australian Cichlid Enthusiasts forum
Thanks. Not easy to make good images of fish... Would be nice to see some shots in the future.

I did my best over there to reassure him Pentax was the right choice
Good job.
11-07-2008, 05:03 AM   #13
ViS
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Australian Cichlid Enthusiasts forum - Andy is a fish nerd (not that there's anything wrong with that ) I did my best over there to reassure him Pentax was the right choice
I didn't need much convincing. I was set on the K20D from the start. It was up to the Canikonians to convince me otherwise and they failed
11-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #14

Another quick G'day from another fellow Aussie here. Was in Newcastle last week visiting my sister and had a ball photographing that great city.
11-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #15
ViS
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah it's a great place to take photos. I need to get down to the beaches early morning for some shots.

After 16 years here, we are moving to Brisbane in Jan with work, so I'll miss the place for sure.