Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2020, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #1

New to mirrorless Fujifilm X-T30. Excited to try vintage lenses

Hi All,

This is Subbu (Kaushik) from Michigan, USA. Had been a long term Nikon (D-40) user. After reading all the various posts about mirrorless cameras went in and bought a Fuji X-T30 with a 18-55mm XF lens. However, I have been using my 35mm F1.8 and 70-300 zoom lenses in manual mode for quiet sometime and would like to try out the same with my mirrorless.

Had a lot of online resources point to this forum for vintage lenses. Am excited to join this group. Appreciate any feedback from you with regard to your experience with Fuji and vintage lenses.

Best Regards
Subbu (Kaushik)

07-21-2020, 08:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!
07-21-2020, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome to the forum!
Hi Mark,

Thank you! Excited to be here. Your gallery on 500px looks amazing!

BR
Subbu
07-21-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kaushik Quote
Hi Mark,

Thank you! Excited to be here. Your gallery on 500px looks amazing!

BR
Subbu
Thank you! Much appreciated.

07-21-2020, 10:05 PM   #5
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Subbu, welcome from Australia.
07-22-2020, 01:49 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard, there's a ton of fine vintage Pentax glass out there, at really affordable money... enjoy the hunt.
07-22-2020, 02:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.

I originally bought an X-M1 and used it for a couple of years only with adapted lenses before starting to get Fujifilm lenses and eventually upgrading to an X-T20. They're superb cameras for using old manual primes on, and Pentax made some of the very best.

Here are some links you may find useful:

The Fujifilm club here on the forum: Fuji X series club - PentaxForums.com

And an array of lens clubs for using various series of lenses, mostly Pentax, which can be used on any mirrorless camera as well as on Pentax SLRs:

Takumar club - PentaxForums.com

The K-Club! - PentaxForums.com

The M Club! - PentaxForums.com

The A Club - PentaxForums.com

Vivitar Lens Club - share the beauty - PentaxForums.com

07-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all for welcoming! This is awesome.

Kerrowdown - Hope to find some good starter lenses and learn here.

Jon,
Wow thats cool. I will take a look at all the links that you shared. I am getting one of the Takumar 135mm f3.5 (am in the look out for a f2.5 actually). Any suggestions on adapters for these? Specifically, anything I should be avoiding?

BR
Subbu
07-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The best adapters are made by Novoflex and Rayqual, but K&F is a good bang for the buck.
07-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you for the note BarneyL. Fot Nikkon lens, I got a Fotodiox. I havent used it much and did not have any background to begin with!

BR
Subbu
07-22-2020, 02:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

a Fuji X-T30 with a 18-55mm XF lens.
Welcome,thats a great combo.I'd also suggest the mk ll 50-230 a lens that has glowing reports amongst the Fuji community.Thats if you shoot telephoto?

Another suggestion,considering the size of the XT30 is, look at the reviews of the Pentax M series primes.They are small well built and provide lovely images,great for street shooting.My favourite is the 50mmf1.7.The SMC Takumars are nice too.A speedbooster can change the FOV to near the original of the adapted lens and add a stop of light.

On the AF side of adapting,Fringer and Viltrox make good adapters for EF/s Canon glass.They work quite well.Importantly they can save you a few $ when you look at the prices of some Fuji glass.

Viltrox are also producing some excellent fast primes at a fraction of the Fuji prices.23/33/56 all f1.4 and 85f1.8.Reviewers are rating them highly.
07-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #12

Original Poster
Hi Surfar! Thanks! Thats a lot of info. I am still struggling to appreciate the 18-55 XF. I was so much more happy with the Nikon with its 18-55 kit lens. Can figure out why I am feel that way. Yes I am interested in telephoto and hopefully get (if the seller ships) a Sears 80-200mm f4 k mount and a Sears 135mm f2.8 k mount. Also hoping to get an SMC Takumar 135mm. Again, I am kind of excited to try a bunch of things here. Once I get to try some of these, I might better appreciate the camera. I have a Nikkor 35mm f1.8 with a Fotidiox adapter, which for some reason I like better than the XF.

- Subbu
07-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

the 18-55 XF.
Ive never owned that lens but ive read lots about it.Very good for video and IF(?) you get a good copy,great for stills.From what Ive learnt its the Fuji lens with the greatest sample variation.Some users have had 3 and not been happy and returned all.

I own about 10 Fuji lenses and I'm happy with them all,so far,so good.The 15-45 is very good in the 15-30 range,just OK further than 30.Its very cheap.The other kit lens is the 16-50,its discontinued now but maybe refreshed this year.My 2 are quite good.

Sounds like you will have lots of fun adapting,so have a look here.Plenty use Pentax and Takumar.

Post Your Latest Adapted-Lens-on-Fuji Shots Here | Page 103 | Fuji X Forum

Last edited by surfar; 07-22-2020 at 03:58 PM.
07-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #14

Original Poster
Hi Surfar,

Thats interesting about the XF. I will read up more about this. I definitely want to have my mind cleared now. It would be a pity if it ended up being the lens. Earlier this evening I was taking some shots of my kids playing with soap bubbles. I could hardly get a clean shot and that got me thinking if it is the lack of in body stabilisation that's bothering me. I have not looked at the pictures closely yet but will post an update.

- Subbu
07-23-2020, 02:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
The best adapters are made by Novoflex and Rayqual, but K&F is a good bang for the buck.
All my adapters are K&F Concept and I haven't had any problem with them.

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Welcome,thats a great combo.I'd also suggest the mk ll 50-230 a lens that has glowing reports amongst the Fuji community.Thats if you shoot telephoto?

Another suggestion,considering the size of the XT30 is, look at the reviews of the Pentax M series primes.They are small well built and provide lovely images,great for street shooting.My favourite is the 50mmf1.7.The SMC Takumars are nice too.A speedbooster can change the FOV to near the original of the adapted lens and add a stop of light.

On the AF side of adapting,Fringer and Viltrox make good adapters for EF/s Canon glass.They work quite well.Importantly they can save you a few $ when you look at the prices of some Fuji glass.

Viltrox are also producing some excellent fast primes at a fraction of the Fuji prices.23/33/56 all f1.4 and 85f1.8.Reviewers are rating them highly.
The reviews I've seen so far of the 23/1.4 have been quite poor. I'm interested in the 56/1.4 so hoping that is a good one when it comes out.

As for the adapters for EF lenses, they don't seem to have great reviews either, which is a shame as I'd be interested in them too as I have a couple of EF-mount lenses. I haven't seen confirmation that they work with the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, which is what I'd be most interested in using.

Hi Surfar,

Thats interesting about the XF. I will read up more about this. I definitely want to have my mind cleared now. It would be a pity if it ended up being the lens. Earlier this evening I was taking some shots of my kids playing with soap bubbles. I could hardly get a clean shot and that got me thinking if it is the lack of in body stabilisation that's bothering me. I have not looked at the pictures closely yet but will post an update.

- Subbu
Check the shutter speeds. If they're slow then stabilisation may help, but the 18-55mm is stabilised, you just need to make sure it's turned on. Try some static subjects and see if you can get sharp shots, if not then the lens is a bad copy.

I wasn't aware of problems with copy variation. Mine is the last Fujifilm lens I bought and I've been pretty happy with it, though I prefer primes.