Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Returning to my roots with film

I started out with a KX, then a MX in 1977 and progressed to a Super Program, and a Super A. Along the way I collected an array of K-mount, and KA-mount prime and zoom lenses. Thereafter life intervened for about 20 years.

With reluctance I purchased first a K-10D in 2008, followed by a marvelous K-3 a few years later.

Despite the incredible things these latter two cameras were able to do, digital photography didn't feel as satisfying as my years with film. Spray and pray did not seem to be the photography I was familiar with. Culling hundreds of shots for just the right jpg seemed to be an incredible waste of time and a truly empty experience. Even several courses in digital photography failed to revive my enthusiasm.

Then I discovered a resurgence of film photography and it has made all the difference. B&H recently reported that film photography was up by 20% last year!

I still shoot with digital when I feel the pressure from family for instant gratification, and the need share pictures via social media (yuk!), but I spend the vast majority of my time shooting film because it has made me a much better photographer.

Film photography is SLOW photography simply because it requires one to think carefully about every stage of the photographic process, and for me therein lies the real rewards. We live in an impatient age in which much has been lost where we have unconsciously exchanged quality for quantity.

Recently I inherited a MZ-S and have been amazed at what Pentax created while me and my old cameras were collecting dust. It has re-ignited my enthusiasm for the photographic process. At the moment I find myself eager to explore a fusion of new film developing and scanning techniques, and to once again employ those great cameras and lenses I acquired so many years ago.

So even though Pentax is now Ricoh, it's good to be home!

07-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
A belated welcome from Australia.
07-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from Canada and a fellow film shooter.

Visit the film section of the forum and looking forward to see your shots.

Phil.
07-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

Good morning and welcome from Australia. It is morning here as it is 0520!

I also use both film and digital as well as collect old Pentax, Asahi Pentax and Ashiflex.

Regards,
Gordon.

07-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SBriggs Quote

Spray and pray did not seem to be the photography I was familiar with. Culling hundreds of shots for just the right jpg seemed to be an incredible waste of time and a truly empty experience. Even several courses in digital photography failed to revive my enthusiasm.
Yup! I agree. Welcome to the forum.
07-24-2020, 03:52 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and knowledge here

not to mention some members who love film

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-24-2020 at 03:59 AM.
07-24-2020, 05:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard. Film fan here too, but haven't used it in years. Every once in awhile I do get the urge to fire up my Bronica ETRSi with some B&W film. I got the camera new, then life intervened and I think I only have run two or three rolls of film through it.

07-24-2020, 05:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SBriggs Quote
digital photography didn't feel as satisfying as my years with film. Spray and pray did not seem to be the photography I was familiar with. Culling hundreds of shots for just the right jpg seemed to be an incredible waste of time and a truly empty experience.
Welcome again, from Wales, and I hope you can show us some of your pictures.

But digital does not have to be spray and pray - I also started (too long ago) with film and I approach digital picture taking much the same as how I did with film. I still aim to get exposure and composition right first time. I did a three mile country walk with my DSLR a few days ago and only took 10 shots, and that is typical for me.

In fact I think you will find that Pentaxians generally tend not to be spray and pray types. If they were, they'd probably be using Sony cameras which prioritise that type of use, or one of the other makes. The Pentax DSLRs are primarily stills cameras, particularly for landscape (having good weather proofing), with video and frames-per-second rate as secondary capabilities.
07-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Arizona.
07-25-2020, 01:51 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome back to both Pentax and photography.
07-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you going to use a totally Manual film camera or an AF film camera ?
07-31-2020, 11:21 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you for the great welcome. I prefer manual photography whenever time permits because I usually get much better results. However, as I'm sure you're aware, small grandchildren seldom hold still for very long and I have found that I'm not always quick enough to catch the shot. Also, I'm still learning to digitize my negatives in order to be able to share pictures electronically. Making the camera once again an automatic extension of me and developing an efficient post processing system are immediate goals I look forward to mastering.