Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2020, 04:35 AM - 5 Likes   #1

back to good ol' Pentax

Hi boys and girls

I'm back to Pentax after trying several other brands.
I really like the Pentax 'bang for the buck' (like the nice viewfinder, WR, stabilisation etc on lower end bodies) and the many buttons on higher end bodies like K1 , K3 and KP

Also the fact that Pentax, unlike other brands, doesn't make 100 versions of the same camera with nearly no changes is something i admire (almost every Pentax has a different look)
Also really loving Pentax colors (and Ricoh since I got a GR iii, they match Pentax colors well)

I hope Pentax can still remain active for a long time and gain more members over time, the idea of them sticking with DSLR is I good move.
After all, their KP + ltd prime is smaller then most decent mirrorless cameras

Such a shame Pentax cameras are hard to get a hold off in local stores..

Oh and lost but not least, also loving this great website of course !

07-25-2020, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a refreshing post. Welcome back to the fold, and back to the forums... we kept your seat warm for you
07-25-2020, 05:31 AM   #3
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back............
07-25-2020, 05:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you ever since the teaser videos I have been somewhat undermined by reviewers who feel Pentax is standing still. You start wondering whether to sell up and move to Fuji! That's why it is so good to hear from someone who can categorically state that the grass isn't greener, because he has been and looked! Welcome back to all things Pentax

07-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all!

Well each brand has some advantages and disadvantages but for me Pentax ticks the most boxes tbh as I said.

I also forgot it's really cool they still have the same mount.
I recently acquired (unexpected) the voigtlander 58 1.4 in K mount for a nice price. Such an amazing lens to go with my K30, K50 and KP 😊

---------- Post added 07-25-20 at 09:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Thank you ever since the teaser videos I have been somewhat undermined by reviewers who feel Pentax is standing still. You start wondering whether to sell up and move to Fuji! That's why it is so good to hear from someone who can categorically state that the grass isn't greener, because he has been and looked! Welcome back to all things Pentax
FUJIFILM was actually one of my least favorite cameras to use, really did not like it, nor the fact that you always see your photos with a filter on it 'film simulation'... Also lightroom doesn't like Fuji files

FUJIFILM was actually one of my least favorite cameras to use, really did not like it, nor the fact that you always see your photos with a filter on it 'film simulation'... Also lightroom doesn't like Fuji files
07-25-2020, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shootraw Quote
Thanks all!

Well each brand has some advantages and disadvantages but for me Pentax ticks the most boxes tbh as I said.

I also forgot it's really cool they still have the same mount.
I recently acquired (unexpected) the voigtlander 58 1.4 in K mount for a nice price. Such an amazing lens to go with my K30, K50 and KP 😊

Fuji was my temptress, now I see it isn't as perfect as the press would have you believe. As for the others, I don't actually fancy any of them when I bought my first DSLR I wanted a canon. Now I know they charge 700 for a 2x TC I think I had a lucky escape
07-26-2020, 01:20 AM - 2 Likes   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, enjoy all that it has to offer you.
07-26-2020, 07:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
Fuji was my temptress, now I see it isn't as perfect as the press would have you believe. As for the others, I don't actually fancy any of them when I bought my first DSLR I wanted a canon. Now I know they charge 700 for a 2x TC I think I had a lucky escape
exactly
I don't understand why most people rave so much about Fuji or why many Pentaxians move over to fuji (maybe because they make cameras and tiny primes which remind them of the pentax ltd lenses ?)

Sure Fuji is decent but I really prefer any RICOH GR over any X100 camera and any recent Pentax DSLR over any Fuji mirrorless.

07-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

exactly
I don't understand why most people rave so much about Fuji or why many Pentaxians move over to fuji (maybe because they make cameras and tiny primes which remind them of the pentax ltd lenses ?)

Sure Fuji is decent but I really prefer any RICOH GR over any X100 camera and any recent Pentax DSLR over any Fuji mirrorless.
Its also the style and mode of operation which is different, however, when you look into it you realise that things are not as the press would have you believe. As suggested, light room doesn't like Fuji files, you can't find out how many actuations it has done and the much vaunted ibis only works fully with specific lenses, works to a degree with others and doesn't work at all with anything that doesn't feed data back to it, I.e. anything vintage
07-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
exactly

Agree, never liked X-trans. Fake colours and super high contrast with loss of detail. The waxy skin issue was real as well, at least on the X-E1. The Fujifilm camera's generally look great though.
07-28-2020, 05:16 AM   #11

Original Poster
Oh yes I forgot the waxy skin! Horrible as I do mainly portraits. And the oversharpening often too.

Maybe it's gone in XT3/4?

Actually i've had mirrorless for a while and it didn't make my photos better, maybe even opposite. I can understand the Pentax claim that sometime in the future dslr photography might be a (good) niche, like film is nowadays (which is also.... Viewfinder based). Is Pentax the new Leica? 😎 (pls no Leica prices)

Nikon and Canon have horrible viewfinders on their low end bodies so no wonder nobody likes using those, but once you use pentax viewfinders, even on lower end bodies.. 😍😍 They are so sweet.

It's so easy to manual focus with these viewfinders, almost as easy as peaking.
« Hi all | Hi im new »