Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #1

Hi from North Carolina

My name is Kevin,Pentax was my first camera in 1982, the ME SUPER, and as I have seen on here there's some people that know quite a few things about the Pentax. I love the old cameras even more so Pentax.

07-30-2020, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums! I'm a recent immigrant to Hampstead, North Carolina from Ohio. The old cameras are a legendary and the newer cameras are superb. I shoot with a KP, K-50 and am expecting my "new to me" MX back from getting a CLA tomorrow.
07-30-2020, 05:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Welcome to the forums! I'm a recent immigrant to Hampstead, North Carolina from Ohio. The old cameras are a legendary and the newer cameras are superb. I shoot with a KP, K-50 and am expecting my "new to me" MX back from getting a CLA tomorrow.
thanks for the welcome and hello oh, I love the MX and thinking about buying one. I love metal and plastic even though the newer products take extraordinary photographs
07-30-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi there! Welcome! I have a question regarding some nice locations in NC) I was thinking to drive up there from GA, heard Maggie's Valley is awesome for landscape photos and trails. Would you say it's a good choice, or there's something even better? I have few days off work, wanted to drive a bit and hike up there

07-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Kevin, welcome from Australia.
07-30-2020, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Kevin, Welcome from up in Alleghany County, NC along the Blue Ridge Parkway. awscreo if you want some nice cycling on the BRP, the flattest section is from MP 217/VA border through Alleghany County. A triple might be your best bet on state roads though. Early morning during the first part of the week is best as the RV/motorcycle/gawkers start multiplying by Thursday PM
07-30-2020, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like Transylvania county - fantastic waterfalls every direction you turn. https://www.transylvaniacounty.org/

Also Mt. Mitchell is pretty stunning. Mount Mitchell State Park | NC State Parks

The parkway near Little Switzerland has The Big Linn Lodge which has a cosy set of cabins and old time charm. If you go, breakfast and dinner is included and the owner is very friendly. Home| Big Lynn Lodge - Little Switzerland the website is a little clunky. I'd call and ask for a cabin. My wife and son visited in the past few weeks and the staff is pretty good on supporting social distancing for example all meals are available to go and they have multiple times for dinner seating with every other table blocked off to reduce crowding if that's of interest to you.

My pics from last year in and around the lodge and along the parkway.
Big Lynn Lodge April 2019 | Flickr

07-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh and I live in the Charlotte area.
07-31-2020, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Kevin, welcome from the UK. My son and his family live north of Charlotte (Mooresville) and we were due to visit in September - but not at the moment, unfortunately. Last time we were there we stayed in Little Switzerland, watching the sun go down as the fireflies rose from the grass in front of the cabins...
07-31-2020, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here
07-31-2020, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #11
Unregistered User

Howdy, neighbor! (from Va.)
07-31-2020, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I like Transylvania county - fantastic waterfalls every direction you turn. https://www.transylvaniacounty.org/

Also Mt. Mitchell is pretty stunning. Mount Mitchell State Park | NC State Parks

The parkway near Little Switzerland has The Big Linn Lodge which has a cosy set of cabins and old time charm. If you go, breakfast and dinner is included and the owner is very friendly. Home| Big Lynn Lodge - Little Switzerland the website is a little clunky. I'd call and ask for a cabin. My wife and son visited in the past few weeks and the staff is pretty good on supporting social distancing for example all meals are available to go and they have multiple times for dinner seating with every other table blocked off to reduce crowding if that's of interest to you.

My pics from last year in and around the lodge and along the parkway.
Big Lynn Lodge April 2019 | Flickr
great, thanks for info! Looks like a nice place, and a nice lodge.
07-31-2020, 06:51 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
great, thanks for info! Looks like a nice place, and a nice lodge.
Hoyt runs the place along with Michelle. They're really nice people. Michelle is beautiful and has the most amazing eyes, I've not had the occasion to do a portrait of her but she would be a great subject if you could talk her into it.
08-01-2020, 07:36 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Hi there! Welcome! I have a question regarding some nice locations in NC) I was thinking to drive up there from GA, heard Maggie's Valley is awesome for landscape photos and trails. Would you say it's a good choice, or there's something even better? I have few days off work, wanted to drive a bit and hike up there
Maggie Valley is right especially during the Spring and Summer but can be crowded Asheboro is also a good place and plus there are a few haunted locations if you like that type of photography.

---------- Post added 08-01-20 at 07:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Kevin, welcome from Australia.
hello to the ones from Down Under! If a girl I'll follow on YouTube named simply Kel, love the accent

---------- Post added 08-01-20 at 07:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Kevin, Welcome from up in Alleghany County, NC along the Blue Ridge Parkway. awscreo if you want some nice cycling on the BRP, the flattest section is from MP 217/VA border through Alleghany County. A triple might be your best bet on state roads though. Early morning during the first part of the week is best as the RV/motorcycle/gawkers start multiplying by Thursday PM
I wish I could do that, but I'm a type 2 diabetic with congestive heart failure and edema. On the 4th of July after my left kidney has been hurting the day before found out that I have a 1.3 CM kidney stone oh yeah cancer too. I'm not as mobile as I used to be oh, but it does sound nice as I have always heard about the place

---------- Post added 08-01-20 at 07:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Hi Kevin, welcome from the UK. My son and his family live north of Charlotte (Mooresville) and we were due to visit in September - but not at the moment, unfortunately. Last time we were there we stayed in Little Switzerland, watching the sun go down as the fireflies rose from the grass in front of the cabins...
Hello to the UK... I have always wanted to go there to get some of the most iconic landscape shots that there is on this planet. Plus a few of the excellent historical and prehistoric landmarks
08-01-2020, 10:14 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Did you stay at the big Lynn Lodge or elsewhere? Also does your son shoot Pentax?