Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2020, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #1

I am an owner of a ME and a Honeywell Pentax

Please tell me what forum I should be in. My father in law recently gifted me two older cameras...: an ME and a Honeywell Pentax film camera.
I am unsure of how to use these and they are awesome! I had new film (ASA 200) installed and I am confused. There are three lenses on the end of the ME. As I look through it, I see a circle in the middle and a diffused outer area that I cannot see anything through.
I know that these are a lot of questions, but I am so excited to use these and they are a HUGE improvement from the camera that my father gave me when he passed away. (Fuji digital).
I am asking for any help, comments and insights as to how to use these. There is also a long lens that came with the ME.
I was informed that the lenses can be used on a DSLR digital...sorry....I'm just learning how this works.

Thank you in advance.

08-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adamflint Quote
I was informed that the lenses can be used on a DSLR digital...sorry....I'm just learning how this works.
If I have not misunderstood correctly I think you are referring to the stigmometer that is used for the focusing 'central area' and consists of a line that divides the subject,
as long as it is not in focus to focus you only have to rotate the ring until the two parts of the framed subject are aligned, moreover there is an area that circles it formed
by microprisms that also serve for the correct focusing.
However, you'd better put the link where you can download the original PDF manual. Link: Pentax ME
password: Pentax

Or here without password: Pentax ME

You can also use the optics in digital, obviously with some limitations.

Good luck with that, Mario

Last edited by maw; 08-20-2020 at 04:41 PM.
08-20-2020, 04:32 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here:

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax ME was introduced in 1976 as the most compact SLR ever for the 24 x 36mm film format.

The introduction of the Pentax ME was a bold move by Pentax in that it only provided one exposure mode - Av exposure automation. The photographer set the aperture, the camera would set the shutter speed. The camera did have a +/- 2EV exposure compensation - this was the only means by which the photographer could influence the exposure.

There was one mechanical speed, 1/100 s, which was intended as a backup in case the batteries went dead. Metering was not available in that mode.

The view finder was large and bright, larger than on the full size K-series of film cameras introduced the year before.

An SE (Special Edition) model variant was introduced later with brown leather.

An external 1.5 fps winder was available.

Read more at: Pentax ME - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax Film SLR Databases and Resources - PentaxForums.com

if you can post photos of the equipment that might help, make sure the front of the lens and any area with names are visible
08-20-2020, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by adamflint Quote
Please tell me what forum I should be in. My father in law recently gifted me two older cameras...: an ME and a Honeywell Pentax film camera.
I am unsure of how to use these and they are awesome! I had new film (ASA 200) installed and I am confused. There are three lenses on the end of the ME. As I look through it, I see a circle in the middle and a diffused outer area that I cannot see anything through.
I know that these are a lot of questions, but I am so excited to use these and they are a HUGE improvement from the camera that my father gave me when he passed away. (Fuji digital).
I am asking for any help, comments and insights as to how to use these. There is also a long lens that came with the ME.

Thank you in advance.
There is a film discussion area on the forum here too, and there is a wealth of information on this website, it will take a little bit of exploration to know your way around. I am expecting that the three lenses on the end of the ME are filters, which are removable by unscrewing them. You may see more through the viewfinder by removing the filters. I suppose they were screwed on for storage, usually only one would be used at a time. The ME is a K-mount camera, and the older Honeywell is a screw mount, or M42 mount camera. Lenses with the M42 mount can be used on the K mount cameras with an adapter, but the K mounts lenses cannot be used on the screw mount camera. Good advice above is to read the manuals. Ask questions in the film area, there are a lot of film users with a lot of knowledge about the cameras, lenses, techniques, etc. Welcome!

08-20-2020, 11:16 PM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums. Those are nice cameras and if you are into film you will have a lot of fun with them. There is some good advice above, but if you post a few pics of the gear on here you will probably learn a lot more and learn it fairly quickly.
08-23-2020, 04:14 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your journey of discovery.