Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2020, 08:09 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I Bought a Pentax KP this Week

Just thought I'd say hi.

I just ordered a KP but it's not here just yet. I decided to start out with it in sort of a minimalist way using one lens: the 16-85mm.

I'm a long time photographer. Mostly interested in fine art black and white sorts of things. I actually own a lot of Nikon equipment with the main camera being a D850. I have probably 100 cameras or so including medium and large format as well.

I've been reading a lot about Pentax DSLRs though. The thing about the KP I like is it reminds a me a lot of a film camera. I like the knobs and the wide range of customization features. I honestly think this KP may turn out to be the camera I use the most. Nikon has some decent APS-C cameras and stuff but I guess there's just something about the Pentax KP that i wanted to own one. Part of that is I respect the decision to buck the trend and develop the DSLR model and further refine it. I've tried mirrorless but opted to stick with DSLRs for the time being.

I also picked up some Pentax 35mm cameras too though. I work part time for Goodwill and I picked up a K1000 and a Spotmatic F. I haven't gotten to shoot too much with them yet either but I will be. I bought 50 rolls of 35mm film not that long ago.

I have a hunch I'll be shooting Pentax a fair amount so I figured I'd join the forum.

I was going to share an image I shot with a Nikon but I think I'll wait and share some I make with the KP.

08-20-2020, 08:15 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and knowledge here

Pentax Film SLR Databases and Resources - PentaxForums.com
08-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia.
08-20-2020, 11:04 PM   #4
Forum Member

Welcome aboard from Melbourne, Australia.

08-21-2020, 12:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF my friend! The KP is a fine little camera packing everything an experienced photographer might need and some extra features that make it stand out of the crowd.

QuoteOriginally posted by Curtis B Quote
I honestly think this KP may turn out to be the camera I use the most.
Having used it for some months I also think this will be the situation! Along with the DA 16-85 it will be the camera which you can carry around everywhere and will deliver impressive results
08-21-2020, 01:23 AM   #6
Unregistered User

ditto. Compared to the D850, the KP will seem, well, it's like the difference between driving a truck and driving a sports-car.
08-21-2020, 01:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome! You'll love the KP- I have two

08-21-2020, 02:39 AM   #8
Forum Member

Welcome to the forums!

You'll love your KP, I just got my second body.

Not only the KP is gourgeous, but once you have set it to your liking, you'll discover it is a formidable camera....
08-21-2020, 05:32 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Welcome, you’ll love the KP.
08-21-2020, 06:34 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome and congrats on the KP, you are going to love what it can deliver.
08-21-2020, 06:49 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum and the KP. I really think the KP pairs well with the limiteds . But I am a prime guy. I only have one zoom and I consider it as good as a prime lens, the DA*50-135.

The KP with it's small size overall, is retro back to the roots of Pentax. Excellent with the 21mm and a wrist strap. I do think pentax did capture the spirit of he early film camera's.

Lots of good info here and please share your experiences.
08-21-2020, 11:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
Welcome to the forum and the KP. I really think the KP pairs well with the limiteds . But I am a prime guy. I only have one zoom and I consider it as good as a prime lens, the DA*50-135.

The KP with it's small size overall, is retro back to the roots of Pentax. Excellent with the 21mm and a wrist strap. I do think pentax did capture the spirit of he early film camera's.

Lots of good info here and please share your experiences.
I have not tried the KP,, K70 or K1,K-11 with my primary telephoto lens, the SMC A 400 f2.8., which I purchased in 1988.I have tried them with many other Pentax lenses They are not what I want in a camera for my photographic usage. I like the K-3 , K-3-II. With my 2 K3-II’s this lens has come alive, like it was during the film era Pentax cameras.{ I have lost much experience using many Pentax film cameras that I have owned back then but the K3-II seems to me to have breathed new life to my SMC A *400 F2.8 ] It may be that good with the other K camera’s but I can attest to only the K3-II with digital, I still use the 1st D, 1st DS and a1st DL, and they are hit or miss on focus/vibration with the 400.... I do not think that I have become a more experienced and a greater photographer, just that my Pentax cameras are that much better than those in the film era. A 36 exposer roll returned a week later is not that helpfully In these times.... [I had an MX with a bulk film back, even 250 exposures are not helpful as everyone of them could be out of focus, over or under exposed and you still had to pay for the negatives...A week later. Digital these days is very nice...
08-22-2020, 01:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Definitely plan on a DA55-300 PLM- awesome with KP.
08-22-2020, 02:14 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Curtis B Quote
Just thought I'd say hi.

I just ordered a KP but it's not here just yet. I decided to start out with it in sort of a minimalist way using one lens: the 16-85mm.

I'm a long time photographer. Mostly interested in fine art black and white sorts of things. I actually own a lot of Nikon equipment with the main camera being a D850. I have probably 100 cameras or so including medium and large format as well.

I've been reading a lot about Pentax DSLRs though. The thing about the KP I like is it reminds a me a lot of a film camera. I like the knobs and the wide range of customization features. I honestly think this KP may turn out to be the camera I use the most. Nikon has some decent APS-C cameras and stuff but I guess there's just something about the Pentax KP that i wanted to own one. Part of that is I respect the decision to buck the trend and develop the DSLR model and further refine it. I've tried mirrorless but opted to stick with DSLRs for the time being.

I also picked up some Pentax 35mm cameras too though. I work part time for Goodwill and I picked up a K1000 and a Spotmatic F. I haven't gotten to shoot too much with them yet either but I will be. I bought 50 rolls of 35mm film not that long ago.

I have a hunch I'll be shooting Pentax a fair amount so I figured I'd join the forum.

I was going to share an image I shot with a Nikon but I think I'll wait and share some I make with the KP.
You will love the Pentax KP and the 16-85mm is a cracking lens but it is quite chunky. I have sold my 16-85mm and replaced it with the 18-135mm which is lighter and slimmer, it is not as wide but I have a 15mm ltd to cover that but the longer 135mm setting is much more useful to me and the lens is a perfect walk around lens. The KP itself is wonderful, like you said, it is reminiscent of an old 35mm camera and it is so so customisable. It is a very compact body too and the image quality and dynamic range are awesome. Welcome to Pentax ��
08-22-2020, 12:53 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Hello, and welcome to the forums!! I'm sure you'll find more info and advice here than you know what to do with!! I know I have! I also have a KP as of the end of June this year and I LOVE it!! I love the retro style and feel and the build quality is great! I also have a Spotmatic F, and my son took a double exposure of it and the KP just for fun! Find it under the thread title "NEW FLAGSHIP FROM PENTAX??" It should be good for a chuckle! Again, welcome to the forums and I hope you enjoy your new KP. Oh yeah. the KP is outrageously customizable, so much so that I have just now got mine where I want it. Overall I think the IQ is excellent, and I REALLY like the metering. I've noticed a big improvement over my KS-2 in metering and dynamic range. Have fun and happy shooting!!