Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2008, 04:43 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Renewing an old Love Affair.

G'day from Canberra, DownUnder.
25 years ago my first and only slr was a beautiful ME Super with SMC 1.7 50mm prime. I mostly took 25ASA slide film shots. For a few years it was my main hobby. Somewhere along there I stopped liking the images I was producing and the camera slid into the shadows. A few years back I bought a Canon S3IS and renewed my interest in photography. Now I've just got my sweaty hands on a K20D with DA* 16-50mm zoom and I'm back on the "straight and narrow" path of Pentax righteousness. First trip out with the camera was today (6/11/08), all in the "green mode" and it seemed only right and good to join the forum and hang out with other Pentax lovers.
Peace,
Mikel.

11-06-2008, 04:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent purchase and welcome to the forums. A great place to share and learn. Make sure you post lots of pics!
11-06-2008, 07:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the family. Don't wait to long to move out of the green zone. Try P, its just as automatic as green mode but allows manual tweaks.
11-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard Mikel! Waiting to see some pics ... even green ones

11-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome! Your 50 mm lens works with your K20D, in case you didn't know. Set Allow Aperture Ring in the menu, select M mode, set the aperture on your lens and press the green button to meter. And you're done. It's quite convenient, and that lens is supposed to be a gem.
11-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum!

I'm also looking forward to seeing your images.

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Try P, its just as automatic as green mode but allows manual tweaks.
I agree.
I even find myself using "M" more and more often, even though I thought "Av / Tv" is the most manual I'd ever need.

Taking more control over the parameters just makes it easier to achieve what you want. And the metering doesn't stop working in "M" mode. You can get a "P"-mode like setting by pressing the green button once and then work from there. The viewfinder will always show the exposure compensation value that corresponds to your changes. Works like a charm for me but you must be experienced with this from your previous camera, no?
11-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome!

Glad you could join us and renew that passion as well!

I notice from your other post that you love macro photography - check out the lens reviews here as well as the macro photo gallery. It will help guide your selection.

And we've been working on a list of Aussie suppliers as well in the Everything Else part of the forum, so you can hunt down that lens treasure (or add to our list....)

Cheers
11-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

G'day from Kangaroo Island and a warm welcome. You'll find lots of other Aussies here. I've only been to Canberra once and really liked it. The fiddle player in our band liked it so much that he's now working there for the next five years, damn his eyes! If you come across a tall, bearded Scotsman called Doug, say hi from me.

Looking forward to your contributions.

11-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum from another friendly neighbourhood Canberran named Mike.

If you need someone to keep an eye on that 16-50 next time you're not using it give me a call

Cheers,
Mike
11-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
[QUOTE=Class A;387186]Welcome to the forum!

I'm also looking forward to seeing your images.

I agree.
I even find myself using "M" more and more often, even though I thought "Av / Tv" is the most manual I'd ever need.

--------------
I expect I'll end up all manual, that's how I like it once I know a camera and don't mess up too many shots thru forgetting everything that needs to be setup. I've yet to read the actual manual beyond enough pages to get things working, have to get back to that and work all the modes out.
11-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
Welcome to the forum from another friendly neighbourhood Canberran named Mike.

If you need someone to keep an eye on that 16-50 next time you're not using it give me a call

Cheers,
Mike
ROFLMAO!
11-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mythmaker Quote
I expect I'll end up all manual, that's how I like it once I know a camera and don't mess up too many shots thru forgetting everything that needs to be setup.
I had to get used to this as well. There are a number of things one has to check, like mode, WB, ISO setting, exposure compensation. Forget one of these and your shots will look different to what you were expecting.

Now, I'm OK but for a while I wished I had a "default" button that would reset everything to my preferred standard settings from which I could then deviate again. I believe your camera even has this feature.

I've yet to read the actual manual beyond enough pages to get things working, have to get back to that and work all the modes out.
Smart move. I also belong to the species whose members read manuals, but it appears to be an endangered one...

BTW, a "[/QUOTE]" got astray when you quoted my message. That's why it looks a bit funny.
11-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome and ideas.

Thanx to everyone who welcomed me and also for the helpful hints that were passed on. In reading my manual I realized that there is a "program line" or some such that I can change and which will affect all my other settings. Makes sense to me once I think about it. Now I just have to decide which program line I'll decide on.
11-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #14
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, my old last love affair cost me a fortune, enjoy.
11-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
Pentaxian

In reading my manual I realized that there is a "program line" or some such that I can change and which will affect all my other settings. Makes sense to me once I think about it. Now I just have to decide which program line I'll decide on.
Welcome, Mythmaker.

As I understand it, the program line is used in "P" & "Green" modes. There are 4 different automatic exposure programs:

MTF - modern auto lenses have stored tables of best settings for lens resolution at different FLs (if it's a zoom) by altering aperture & shutter speed. So in this mode the auto setting favours resolution.

DOF - favors large apertures (small F-numbers) to emphaise DOF.

HS - favours shutter speed for action stuff.

Normal - a balance for general exposure.

Unless you are use P or Green modes, the program line setting will have no effect. I don't use these modes very often. When I do use P mode, I usually overide its inital choice with the e-dials. This "hyper-program" (I think of it as "Smart Manual") mode allows you to keep the same suggested EV, but manually shift exposure balance in favour of either aperture or shutter speed.

For what it's worth, I have my program line set to MTF.

If, for example, I was going to do some action stuff, I wouldn't use P. I'd use Tv & AF.C.

Dan