Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2020, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #1

Interested in joining the Pentax world!

Hello fellow forumites

I'd love to call you fellow Pentaxians, but unfortunately I don't own a Pentax camera... yet!

I've decided that I am going to buy the Knew when it is finally announced. So far I only have experience with film cameras, and black and white shooting, but I'm looking forward to joining the digital world, so to speak. I've never owned an SLR before - only Rangemaster style cameras and pocket film cameras ("toy" cameras), but I love the process of photography, and I've also loved developing and scanning my own film. I am, however, ready to up my game and add a nice DSLR to my arsenal. Which is where the Knew comes into the picture. I know I will have to wait a bit before it is introduced, but that is what it is.

In the meantime, I will have lots of newbie questions related to digital photography. Questions such as: Will I be able to use my Voigtländer 50mm/f3.5 Heliar on a Pentax DSLR, with proper adapters, and what sort of results can I expect from this combination? Of course, down the line I'd invest in some proper Pentax lenses suited for the APS-C sensor, but for a start, I might as well start out by using what I've already got for my film cameras.

I hope to have many interesting discussions with many of you, or simply to enjoy reading your contributions to this forum.

I live in Denmark and although Pentax has almost zero presence in my country, I do hope to acquire the Knew in one way or another.

Nice to meet you all.

08-28-2020, 11:33 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia.
08-28-2020, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
Hello Peter, nice to meet you!

Australia - that's a beautiful country. What I wouldn't give to be able to visit one day, and snap some nice photos. Coming from a small and mostly flat country myself, with very uniform landscapes throughout, I must say I envy your beautiful surroundings.
08-29-2020, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another welcome from Australia!

Your Voigtländer Heliar looks like a very interesting lens. It should work just fine on a Pentax DSLR, with a Leica M to K mount adaptor and stop-down metering. A crop camera will not record the full image circle however, so it will behave like a short telephoto rather than a normal lens.

Enjoy the Forums while you wait for your DSLR

08-29-2020, 12:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Arizona.
08-29-2020, 12:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hello to both of you, and thank you for the warm welcome.

Thank you for the explanation, Sandy. I am a bit new to the whole sensor and adapting thing, so I appreciate the detailed explanation. From what I have researched on my own, I did expect that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the full-frame capabilities of my lens, but I think that as a start until I get some glass suited to the APS-C sensor, it will suit me fine enough just to learn how the camera functions and so on. I already have two of these Voigtländer 50mm/f3.5 Heliar lenses anyway, and I use them on my film camera, so there's no harm in trying with a cheap adapter. It's a small investment.
08-29-2020, 01:16 AM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another "Hi" from Australia. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your K-new. I would expect it to be released in time for Christmas though.

08-29-2020, 01:34 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome, PJ1.

I'm hoping you are right about it coming out this year.

Though patience is not exactly my strong suit when it comes to wanting new photography gear, I'd rather hold out for something nice (like I expect the K-new to be), instead of making an impulsive decision and buying something that I might regret later when the K-new comes out.
08-29-2020, 03:12 AM   #9
Unregistered User

I've been thinking a lot about that transition from film to bytes. I've come to the conclusion that there is no transition - the only thing the two fields have in common is that they record images by the capture of optical phenomena. I.e., the end goal is the same, but the processes are very different. They've adopted the term, "development", to refer to the process of digital manipulation and editing of the data the digital camera produces, but it's not like film development at all. In fact, I see it as the second half of the capture process, particularly going from raw data rather than "straight-out-of-the-camera" ("SOOC") JPEGs.

So one thing you may not have considered is what kind of computer you're going to use to edit your digital products, and what kind of software you're going to need. I think it's at least as important, if not more so, than what kind of camera you're going to use.

Well, you're certainly in the right place - I recommend the use of the "advanced search" tool off the menu at the top of the screen to look stuff up that you want to know about.
08-29-2020, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Thanks dlh! I agree with what you said. They are different worlds, indeed. Developing and scanning film has become quite a simple process for me, and for me it seems much simpler than editing raw files. But maybe that's because I've never tried the latter.

I will spend a fair amount of time researching software options and computer needs, and trying to get an understanding of digital photo editing. I appreciate your suggestion very much and expect to glean many golden nuggets from the posters on this forum. There's no need to try to figure everything out on your own when you've got the collective experience of all you photographers out there.
08-29-2020, 03:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
Thanks dlh! I agree with what you said. They are different worlds, indeed. Developing and scanning film has become quite a simple process for me, and for me it seems much simpler than editing raw files. But maybe that's because I've never tried the latter.

I will spend a fair amount of time researching software options and computer needs, and trying to get an understanding of digital photo editing. I appreciate your suggestion very much and expect to glean many golden nuggets from the posters on this forum. There's no need to try to figure everything out on your own when you've got the collective experience of all you photographers out there.
Welcome to PentaxForums, Flubber! - I like Denmark and the people I had contact with. Lived nearby, was there on vacation etc. spent some time near Flensburg. Where's the region you live?
08-29-2020, 04:08 AM   #12

Original Poster
Hello acoufap. Nice to meet you.

I live quite close to the Danish/German border myself. I live approximately 40 kilometers from Flensburg, so as you can tell, I live in the southernmost part of Jutland, very close to Germany.

Germany is a lovely country to visit - though I haven't been in a while, I've always had pleasant stays in Germany and the people are very nice and accommodating.

The only thing that I can justifiably complain about is the pricing of cameras and camera equipment in Denmark - but thank God for internet trading.. I've saved quite a bit of money that way.
08-29-2020, 04:29 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

in fact, there appears to be members from Denmark -

you might be able to use this tool to determine how close they might be:

QuoteQuote:
Worldwide Pentax User Map
This map allows you to easily find nearby Pentax users who have shared their location. Click on a pin to go to the user's profile.

To discuss meetups and events, please post in the Travel, Events, & Groups forum.

Currently showing all members. Show online members only.
Worldwide Pentax User Map - PentaxForums.com

you could check this area to see if your lens has been discussed before:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/voigtlander-lenses-for-pentax-primes-c79.html

QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
. . . Developing and scanning film has become quite a simple process for me, and for me it seems much simpler than editing raw files. . . .
there is a " small " thread about those photos here

QuoteQuote:
Lets see those ''film'' shots 8-)
Hi folks...Since our film community is small here, I thought it would be a great idea to have a thread on images that show the beauty of film...Does it have to be a Pentax? ''No'', lets make it about photography...I and others, I am sure, would like to see what different films put out, so film type would be a help if you know. Now lets see those film shots.
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/53503-cool-...#ixzz6WVTQqSbi

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-29-2020 at 04:42 AM.
08-29-2020, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #14

Hej Flubber
Velkommen ombord, jeg venter også på K-New.
Der er en lille dansker gruppe hvis du er interesseret.
Danmark - PentaxForums.com
08-29-2020, 06:59 AM   #15

Original Poster
Hello Aslyfox, thanks for the suggestion! Much appreciated.

Pelto - Hejsa. Takker. Jeg var ikke klar over at der er en dansker gruppe herinde. Jeg tænkte nok at der måtte være et par danskere her, men vi er jo et lille folkefærd set i det store perspektiv, så det er sjældent at vi er særligt godt repræsenteret på steder som dette. Jeg tjekker dit link. Fedt at du også venter på det nye kamera!