Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In over my head

Hej

Short version. K10D user that have discovered the charm of manual lenses and feel a, most likely unhealthy, sensation actually screwing on the m42 lenses and shooting away. Got a lot of information from the forums about some lenses I have and decided to join.

Long verision. Swedish guy, IT-consultant (databases and other fun stuff) that bought a Pentax K10D about 18 months ago. I had the kit lens. It was ok but having a K10D as a first dslr was not easy. I was definitely in over my head and should have bought something more "easy" to use. Or at least so I thought. I decided I should treat myself with something and bought a 40mm limited. Suddenly things started to become a lot more fun. I had one less element to worry about, focal length, and could concentrate on taking pictures. Until the beginning of this year I was taking pictures sporadically and enjoyed it. Suddenly I started to understand how things worked. I started playing around with aperture and shutter speed and I got some photos of my gf's relatives that was better than anything I had ever taken before.

Time went bye and this summer I felt I had come to roads' end. There was more to learn and I had a hard time grasping it. A collegue of mine asked if I could try out a lens he had, he was curious if it could produce decent picturs. It was a Auto Chinon MC, 50mm 1.4. The colors was amazing. I couldn't even figure out how to get the aperture working on it so I started reading up on how to use manual lenses on the camera. I bought a few lenses from an ad, i got seriously ripped off concerning prices but it sparkled my interest even more. So now I am getting a few more (yes, too many, I should focus more on using them) and is having a really good time!. The best thing about that buy was that I got a m42 converter. So, I learned alot from the manual lenses.

One interesting thing, except for taking the pictures, are re-learning focusing. It is damn hard getting good focus fast but I'm getting better. Another is feeling like you are holding a bit of history in your hand. I love to try and find out the history of the lenses.

My last buy was a Yashica Auto Yashikor 35mm 2.8, m42 mount. Using a rubber band to hold the aperture pin it works like a charm in the av or m mode. So far, it feel amazing and seem to take really sharp pictures. If someone can point me to more information about the Yashikor line of lenses I would be greatful. Information about Yashica in general is quite easy to find but Yashikor (only thing I found was that it probably was the cheaper version of Yashinon) seem really difficulrs.

Searches for information about my manual lenses have pointed me to Pentax Forums ALOT so I decided to join. Hopefully I will participate a bit more in a while.

Thank you for all the useful information so far, looking forward to meeting you in the forums. I have so much yet to learn.

Björn

Attached Images

11-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. I think you've discovered that the journey is as much fun as the destination. You'll find lots of helpful people here and I expect that you'll help many as well.
11-07-2008, 04:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard from neighbour country! No doubt, you will find useful information and also having fun

I have Pentax-A 35mm f2 and 50mm f2 manual focus lenses, which work pretty nicely ... and how quiet the focusing is
11-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
Welcome to the forum. I think you've discovered that the journey is as much fun as the destination. You'll find lots of helpful people here and I expect that you'll help many as well.
Thank you very much, very nice of you to greet me.

Björn

11-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yes it's an interesting journey of learning and discovery. The most important lesson it to remember that it doesn't matter if anyone likes the pictures as long as you like them.

I can't help with the Yashikor lenses. Maybe you can inform us.

Welcome to the forums.
11-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you very much. Eh, maybe you have a better "focus function" than me because I swear that I hear alot of "#€&!"€#"!" and "@£@£∞©notAGAIN@$∞§" when using my manual focus

Björn
11-07-2008, 04:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
True, true

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Yes it's an interesting journey of learning and discovery. The most important lesson it to remember that it doesn't matter if anyone likes the pictures as long as you like them.

I can't help with the Yashikor lenses. Maybe you can inform us.

Welcome to the forums.
Thank you, to you also. That is very true. I am sure I learn alot from your beautiful pictures and your, very interesting looking, blog.

Björn

11-16-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Hey Bjorn,
Most of what you wrote didn't mean much to me but your enthusiasm and sense of joy at creation DID get thru to me. I'm brand new here myself but a long time Pentax fan (25+ years). Welcome and I hope someone here can help you out with your manual Yashifor lens fetish.
11-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Mythmaker Quote
Hey Bjorn,
Most of what you wrote didn't mean much to me but your enthusiasm and sense of joy at creation DID get thru to me. I'm brand new here myself but a long time Pentax fan (25+ years). Welcome and I hope someone here can help you out with your manual Yashifor lens fetish.
Hi

Thank you very much, very nice of you to write a reply!

I like your landscape picture, ...bush... Beautiful colors and nature!

25+ years. Then i have something to look forward to it seem, being a newcomer. I love the camera more and more.

The fetischism is spreading to other brands and it is a lot of fun Today me and a friend went to a nice coastal area and I tried out a Helios lens, a chinon lens and a pentacon lens. I have a nice evening ahead of me looking trough the pictures.

See you in the forums!
Björn
11-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, don't be put off by all these autofocus guys around here , there's a hard core bunch of "manual maniacs" in here too.

Enjoy your photography either way that's what it's about.
11-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #11

Original Poster
and thanks again:)

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, don't be put off by all these autofocus guys around here , there's a hard core bunch of "manual maniacs" in here too.

Enjoy your photography either way that's what it's about.
Thanks!

Had to check up what LBA was and after that I understood what CBA was hehe.

I am thinking about "cheating" in the way that I'm thinking about buying a split focusing screen or a magnifier (however that is spelled). Right now the cheap skate of me is thinking fixed up asian K1000 screen.

A lot of people in here seem to be "faithful" pentaxians. Seem like a good grade, I am continuously impressed myself by the camera.

Cheers
Björn
11-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Hey Björn, I bought the "pukka" Katzeye screen from the states, it's some of the best money I've spent on photography.

I also use the Pentax O-ME53 viewfinder magnifer, these two items used together make manual focusing a joy.
11-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #13

Original Poster
Nice tip!

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Hey Björn, I bought the "pukka" Katzeye screen from the states, it's some of the best money I've spent on photography.

I also use the Pentax O-ME53 viewfinder magnifer, these two items used together make manual focusing a joy.
Hey

Always good with recommendations. The price is pretty high for a katzeye, thereof thinking of the asian "rip-off". But you saying that it's great sure put a weight on the scale for the "real thing". Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I have some thinking to do

Changed jobs, so there might be some vacation money and such coming my way that COULD be used for this.

Took a nice pick today at the beach, pentacon 29mm, cropped to about a third. One of the, not so many, perfect focus pics nowadays

Thanks for the advice!
Björn
Attached Images

11-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Nypon?

Welcome to the forums, and hope you enjoy it here. Whereabouts in Sweden are you? I'm from Boras myself (though living in Atlanta now).
11-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #15

Great to see you here and good to know you have found your own niche with this camera.