Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #1

SDM Drive Motors

Opinions wanted as to whether current SDM motor replacement by Pentax for my DA* 50-135mm would be a good reliable option to repair my current paper weight lens.

thanks,

walt

09-02-2020, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Convert it to screw-drive, it is free!
09-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally I would convert it to screw-drive rather then pay for an SDM repair. SDM repair has a mixed reputation with some reporting the problem is fixed and never comes back and others stating 2 or more repairs fail again. Screw-drive is as fast, possibly faster and solidly reliable. The only down side is it does make some noise. Its not enough to bother me but it does bother some.
09-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #4

If the SDM performance prior to conversion was markedly better than using the camera's internal motor you might want to repair, but the fact is that it isn't. So I agree with the prior posters.

It might hurt the resale a bit but I doubt that the cost would make up the difference. Also I have a feeling Pentax may eventually retool the lens as they are doing with the 16-50 at which point the lens probably won't be worth enough used to bother anyway.

09-02-2020, 08:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I will have it converted. About 10 years ago I purchased the 50-135mm and the 17-70mm. Both of the motors in these failed with almost no time on them, but several years after purchase. No conversion possible for the 17-70mm of course, but if I massage the focus ring manually for awhile I can get the motor back to working. If it then sits for a few days unused, I will have to again massage the lens. IMO Pentax should have recalled these lenses for repair or at least have offered some relief.

walt
09-04-2020, 02:30 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, good luck with your fix.