Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2020, 10:57 AM   #1

New Acct., long time member - Weather Seal Slipped?? Help!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello, all! Oh 2020, how you pack on the woe's.

Is this the weather seal on my DA* 50-135mm slipping out? If so, what do I do about this. Any tucking it back in does not correct this o-ring protruding. There seems to be a "catch" when turning the lens from 50-135. It is "in place" at 50mm when I tuck it all in, and as I turn toward 135mm it puckers out.

I was preparing for a post rain woods trek to snap some emerging mushrooms... now it looks like I'll stay in today.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers, all
Bodhi

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
09-04-2020, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if there is no warranty on the lens and you want to investigate cost of repair, here are some options:

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)

Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

I have used Phototronic

https://phototronic.biz/(Topeka

he fixed a broken 150-450 zoom for me
09-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you much, aslyfox!
09-04-2020, 12:20 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

LOT'S of silicone rubber "O" ring seals on ebay for a "few pennies" - measure the circumference and width of the recess in the lens mount for the existing one (a digital micrometer would be a great help!) and then look for suitable replacements (probably good idea to buy a few from several suppliers as there will likely be "tolerance variations" ).

FWIW, I bought a few of a suitable size (for about £1!) to fit around the bases of non-weathersealed KA mount lenses for use in "damp" weather - I fit the rings over the lenses just in front of the bayonet mounts, and, when the lenses are mounted on a body, I push them back against the body to cover the small gap between the two.

09-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
an option I hadn't considered, jeallen01! Cheers, thanks a lot
09-04-2020, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #6

That ring has been "pinched" and probably has flat spots and shouldn't be reused. There was one vendor on eBay that sells only O-rings (don't recall the name offhand). He had some hard to find sizes that I needed He was really helpful when I realized I needed some other rings right after I placed the order. No problem he just combined the orders and only charged me once for shipping.

The ordering pages should have charts on converting diameter to circumference and vice versa as well as best fit for metric vs imperial.
09-04-2020, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
That ring has been "pinched" and probably has flat spots and shouldn't be reused. There was one vendor on eBay that sells only O-rings (don't recall the name offhand). He had some hard to find sizes that I needed He was really helpful when I realized I needed some other rings right after I placed the order. No problem he just combined the orders and only charged me once for shipping.

The ordering pages should have charts on converting diameter to circumference and vice versa as well as best fit for metric vs imperial.
@CosmicBodhi

The existing ring has also stretched substantially (or else it would fit into the recess and not "poke out"!) and so don't rely on it for any of its current "dimensions"

If you do find a suitable replacement O ring, then please post a link as the same one would probably fit many other Pentax weather-sealed lenses!

Last edited by jeallen01; 09-04-2020 at 01:58 PM.
09-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #8

Original Poster
This was all VERY helpful, all. I did find a local repair shop here in San Antonio, TX and they were very confident about the repair. Yes, most certainly the measurement was not going to be helpful since there were several defect spots on the O-Ring and, I think, there is still a small piece broken inside the gap. I'd rather have a pro handle this one.

Thanks again and cheers, all!
09-06-2020, 05:39 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, in the short term gaffer tape will be your friend...