Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2020, 04:40 PM - 3 Likes   #1

New user

Hello everyone. My name is Melissa and I am just getting into photography. It is something that I have always been interested in, but just never pursued. My Dad has a Pentax back in the 70-80’s, and I knew it was a good brand. Based upon that, I did a bunch of research and found I loved most of the features of the Pentax. Living in the middle of the U.S.A, there is no real resource as most dealers that sold Pentax have closed shop. 😞. I purchased a K1 MarkII. I know this is a little more camera than I can handle right now, but I am hoping I can grow into it. I am also hoping that people on here can help me grow and be willing to help teach me. I am planning on doing my daughters senior pictures and have been having a ball taking photos of my girls’ cheering and some other activities. I have 2 Lens right now, a 28-105mm and a 70-210mm- both Pentax. Can’t wait to chat with other Pentax users.

09-13-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Missmissy Quote
Hello everyone. My name is Melissa and I am just getting into photography. It is something that I have always been interested in, but just never pursued. My Dad has a Pentax back in the 70-80’s, and I knew it was a good brand. Based upon that, I did a bunch of research and found I loved most of the features of the Pentax. Living in the middle of the U.S.A, there is no real resource as most dealers that sold Pentax have closed shop. 😞. I purchased a K1 MarkII. I know this is a little more camera than I can handle right now, but I am hoping I can grow into it. I am also hoping that people on here can help me grow and be willing to help teach me. I am planning on doing my daughters senior pictures and have been having a ball taking photos of my girls’ cheering and some other activities. I have 2 Lens right now, a 28-105mm and a 70-210mm- both Pentax. Can’t wait to chat with other Pentax users.
Hello MissMissy, Welcome to Pentaxforums.com! No lack of skills on here, you can get all the help you need! Enjoy!
09-13-2020, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
maw
Pentaxian

Hi Missmissy,

Welcome to the Pentax forum, I hope you'll be fine, there are a lot of people who can help you and/or give you advice,
you got in great with the 'Mark II' and two great recent optics, will certainly take good pictures or at least I hope so.

Greetings from Mario
09-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #4
Closed Account

Hi Melissa, welcome from Australia.

09-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-1 II is quite a camera for just getting into photography! But also one of the best cameras ever made. The nice thing about it, as you already know, is that you can let the camera do most/all of the work for you in "green" or "program (P)" mode, and gradually over time learn all of the many neat features that can help you develop your photography in very fun ways. Your two zoom lenses are also good, covering lots of range for most real-world purposes. What I like about the Pentax digital SLR cameras is the "hyper-manual" mode, and I do most of my photography in Manual mode, pushing the green button to get close to correct exposure but allowing me to choose my aperture and shutter speed as I wish -- and the special User modes, where I have a setting to Manual mode with +/- 1 stop exposure so that I'll take three shots in quick succession, and I have the metering set a certain way (say, spot, or center-weighted). These days I usually shoot in one of my three User modes and find them to be really good ways to quickly get the good shots that I want, depending on the situation that I'm in.

My advice is just to read what others here have to say about the K-1 II camera, and there are some good instructional videos on YouTube that also help explain most of the features in the K-1 II. The Pentax manuals aren't the best and can be downright confusing at times, and leave lots of stuff out. One thing missing from the Ricoh website and the K-1 II manual is that the physical cable release switch for the K-1 II is the CS-205 (and not the CS-310 used for the two APS-C Pentax cameras currently in production, the K70 and the KP). I'm sure that your photos are already superb with this camera, and that it is a lot of fun for you, and that you'll be hooked for a long time to come. (I don't yet have a K-1 II, but I'm planning to buy one soon, as it's been in my sights for a while now. And I've done tons of research on it.)

Last edited by cometguy; 09-13-2020 at 06:16 PM.
09-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Missmissy Quote
Hello everyone. My name is Melissa and I am just getting into photography. It is something that I have always been interested in, but just never pursued. My Dad has a Pentax back in the 70-80’s, and I knew it was a good brand. Based upon that, I did a bunch of research and found I loved most of the features of the Pentax. Living in the middle of the U.S.A, there is no real resource as most dealers that sold Pentax have closed shop. ��. I purchased a K1 MarkII. I know this is a little more camera than I can handle right now, but I am hoping I can grow into it. I am also hoping that people on here can help me grow and be willing to help teach me. I am planning on doing my daughters senior pictures and have been having a ball taking photos of my girls’ cheering and some other activities. I have 2 Lens right now, a 28-105mm and a 70-210mm- both Pentax. Can’t wait to chat with other Pentax users.
Welcome to the forum!
If you need any help navigating the K-1II's many features then feel free to ask. It's a great camera.

Kind regards,
Mark
aotearoa
(New Zealand)
09-14-2020, 12:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Melissa, welcome from the south of England! Folks here are very helpful.

09-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello from Baltimore

Well, you certainly started at the top! It's a great camera. You have a great setup that will last you for a long time. Even though it's a kit lens, that 28-105 is excellent. If you still have your dad's lenses you can use them on your camera.

Comb through these forums for great tips on settings that will help: TAV mode and how to set it up properly, the green button, & etc. Don't be afraid to shoot at high iso's, but also understand that you can underexpose a great deal and raise the exposure in post. You didn't say what post processing program you were using, but that's an important skill to learn.

And the other, very important thing to learn is what you want to photograph. It's much easier and quicker to get better if you can photograph more narrowly---you can always expand.
09-15-2020, 05:03 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland