Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-23-2020, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #1

Newbie and new owner of a Pentax K-5ii

Hello all

Just introducing myself as the new owner of a K-5ii. I picked up a second hand body for £249 (in pristine condition) and have purchased the 18-55mm kit lens and a 35mm prime. I have also purchased a mind condition Takumar SMC 105mm but the adapter ring I purchased doesn’t seem to work properly: the lens features only get to about 8-9 o’clock when threaded on?! I previously owned Nikon gear but read a lot about Pentax and am glad I have made the switch.

I am still very much a beginner photographer but, from looking at various posts in various topics in this forum, am sure that there will always be someone to helps a newbie like me!

All the best

Ben

09-23-2020, 11:30 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Ben, welcome from Australia. Enjoy your new toy, and please post some pix when you are ready to.
09-24-2020, 01:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Ben, welcome from Hampshire! Don't hesitate to ask anything, there are a lot of knowledge people here. Your K-5II is a fine camera.
09-24-2020, 01:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hello - thanks ever so much for the welcome: kind and much appreciated.
One thing, if I may, is this issue of the adapter I got for the Takumar lens. I purchased the third party one as the Pentax ones are pretty costly but it may be a case of buy cheap buy twice! It just does not seem to screw on so that the lens’ “information” is at (or near as dammit) the top. I cannot for the life of me get it beyond the 8/9 o’clock position. Any tips on adapters that definitely work would be very much appreciated.
Thank you!
Ben

09-24-2020, 02:26 AM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Ben. Another welcome from Australia. The K-5ii is a very capable camera. It should keep you busy for a while. On adapters, I have had no issues with third party adapters but I always remove the little spring clip that locks it on to the camera body. I find that a friction fit is OK if I am careful. The couple of Takumars that I use seem to line up. I have a 105mm that I don't use. I will check it when I get home.
Peter
09-24-2020, 03:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Ben welcome from Denmark.
I also have the K-5 II, it is a exelent camera I still use it along with my K-1 II.
Let us se some pictures from you.
Erik
09-24-2020, 06:05 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!
Another happy K5-II owner here. Very capable machine!
Another issue with third party adapters is that some may not allow infinity focus. While a bit more expensive, the original adapter is usually the safest route.

Thanks,
Ismael

09-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BDPA77 Quote
Pentax ones are pretty costly but it may be a case of buy cheap buy twice!
Definitely. Some 3rd party ones do work OK but others can actually get stuck on the camera (with the lens on) requiring work to get them off. It is very much worth getting the real one.
09-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was very fortunate, as my Asahi Pentax-marked adapter was attached to a Tak 135mm that I bought on Fleabay some years back. I remember reading somewhere that the correct method of mounting it was not to bayonet it into the mount, but to screw it onto the target M42 lens and then bayonet the whole thing on.
09-25-2020, 11:26 PM   #10

Original Poster
Morning from sunny Oxfordshire!
Thanks a lot to all of you for your welcomes. So glad I have made the move to Pentax!
I will play about again with the adapter ring and, if all fails, I will take the plunge and get a proper Pentax one!
Wishing you all a good day!
Stay safe
Ben
10-03-2020, 02:18 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your new camera.
10-03-2020, 04:00 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

my first " modern " DSLR was an " experienced " K 5II

I think it will serve you well

have you considered the ebook ?
QuoteQuote:
Pentax eBook Downloads - Now on PF! (purchase here for instant access)
My Pentax eBooks are now available directly on PF, along with a discount compared to regular pricing! Books are only $13.99 / $18.99 (K-1) for forum members.

Pentax eBooks can be purchased here

Once you've ordered the corresponding eBook, you'll have immediate access to download using the links below:
Pentax KP eBook.pdf New!
Pentax K-1 and K-1 II eBook.pdf Updated for K-1 II!
Pentax K-3 and K-3 II eBook.pdf
Pentax K-5 and K-5 II eBook.pdf
Pentax K-50 eBook.pdf
Pentax K-S2 eBook.pdf
Pentax K-70 eBook.pdf
Legacy eBooks - K-7, K-x, K20D, K100D
If you have any questions about the guidance I provide, or would like to offer suggestions, feel free to post in this forum.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/194-pentax-ebooks/323769-pentax-ebook-do...#ixzz6Znyh6pvG

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-03-2020 at 04:08 AM.