Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2020, 12:11 AM   #1

Newbie to photography

What's the best camera for someone just learning photography? Thank you!

09-24-2020, 02:12 AM   #2

Hi there! As you will see from this forum, I, too, am a newbie. I have a K-5ii and could not recommend this enough. The Pentax UI is logical and well laid out. Since starting photography around 18 months’ ago, I have suffered from what they call GAS (“Gear Acquisition Syndrome”) and have been through a number of Nikon cameras but now I have the Pentax, I feel settled.
Two things people have impressed upon me: (1) it is the photographer who makes the photo not the camera; and (2) better the spend money on good lenses rather than a hugely expensive body. From my experience thus far of the K-5ii, I think it would be a great camera to start with.
Good luck!
09-24-2020, 02:45 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums from Australia.
09-24-2020, 02:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stormizezo Quote
What's the best camera for someone just learning photography? Thank you!
QuoteOriginally posted by BDPA77 Quote
Hi there! As you will see from this forum, I, too, am a newbie. I have a K-5ii and could not recommend this enough. The Pentax UI is logical and well laid out. Since starting photography around 18 months’ ago, I have suffered from what they call GAS (“Gear Acquisition Syndrome”) and have been through a number of Nikon cameras but now I have the Pentax, I feel settled.
Two things people have impressed upon me: (1) it is the photographer who makes the photo not the camera; and (2) better the spend money on good lenses rather than a hugely expensive body. From my experience thus far of the K-5ii, I think it would be a great camera to start with.
Good luck!
Welcome you both to the forums, lots of info and advice on here, make yourself at home!

09-24-2020, 03:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Forget the camera concerns, just make sure you've a large cupboard to store all the gear you will acquire as you change your mind, again and again ...;-)

Seriously, my thought is that you need to think what sort of photography is likely to appeal to you, then work from there. A camera with full manual capacity is, I believe, essential to learn with.
09-24-2020, 03:46 AM   #6
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was a bit too quick and posted my welcome before I had finished. As far as what camera is good to start with, most people also have to consider their budget. Some of the earlier Pentax DSLRs can be got for fairly low prices. They are all fine but later ones are going to be better. If I was looking for a second hand Pentax DSLR right now (and didn't want to spend too much) I think I would look at the K-5, K-5ii or iis, K-3, K-70. The K-S1 and K-S2 are possibilities. They are less common but you may get a good deal (particularly on the K-S1). The K-30 and K-50 are very capable but some suffer from what is known as aperture block failure (there is no way of knowing what proportion of them are affected; I have seen some reports of this with the K-70 too). Have a look at the camera review section on this site and you will get an idea of the capabilities of the different bodies.
09-24-2020, 03:50 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

and a lot of opinions on how to spend your money

you have started well by finding these forums:

what do you intend to do with your photography hobby the opportunities are many

this can be very important in choosing the right camera

are you willing to use " experienced " equipment - check the forums' marketplace:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...d+States&all=1

or do you want new only

what is your budget for camera and lens ?

do you want prime or zoom lenses:

QuoteQuote:
Why Not Try Out a Prime Lens?
A brief look at primes vs. kit zooms
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Nov 13, 2012
Read more at: Why Not Try Out a Prime Lens? - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

if you can get access to basic photography books at a library or read on the web you might want to do that

look at the article section of the forums and this as well:

QuoteQuote:
seful Pentax/Photo Resources, About
This section is intended to help you with any basic questions you may have about Pentax or photography, as well as technical issues you may be experiencing with your gear. Newbies are welcome here! Feel free to ask any question, no matter now simple (or seemingly obvious), but please post each question in a separate thread!

Thanks, and enjoy this section! I hope you find it useful.
Read more at: Useful Pentax/Photo Resources, About - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

09-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!
Someone is selling a K-5ii and accessries at a very reasonsable price here on the Marketplace. There is no need to buy a brand new DSLR.
I recommend the K-5 or K-5ii because it is a very capable camera that allows for fully manual control of each factor necessary to create a good image, so you can see how your settings affect the result.

Other than that, there are hundreds of tutorials available on creating images using a DSLR. Dont worry about getting everything right the first time, just try things out as you become familiar with your camera.
09-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

a K 5 II is a good camera

owners' reviews:

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The PENTAX K-5 II DSLR is refinement of the PENTAX K-5. It shares the body construction and button layout with the K-5 except for the LCD monitor on the back. The monitor is now recessed slightly since an air-gapless technology has been used which makes the LCD monitor assembly thinner. It is still a three inch, 921,000 dot monitor like on the predecessor, but the outer glass is tempered so as to be scratch resistant and an anti-glare filter has been added improving viewing in bright light.

The main enhancement over the K-5 is not the LCD monitor but the autofocus system. The new system is dubbed SAFOX X and has increased sensitivity: it now works down to EV -3, which is class leading according to Pentax. Pentax also claims that not only is SAFOX X more sensitive, it is also faster and more accurate, a claim we will take a look at when we get a unit in for review. It has 11 focus points of which 9 are the cross-sensitive type; this is just like the original K-5.

Like on the K-30, the K-5 II incorporates the select-area expansion function so that the subject will be tracked even if it moves away from the autofocus point selected by the user. The camera will use the adjacent focus points to keep the moving subject in focus.

Other than that, the K-5 II has the same specifications and features as the K-5, hereunder a rugged, dustproof but lightweight body, a high burst rate of 7 fps, high dynamic range, a viewfinder with 100% coverage, sensor-shift shake reduction, ultra sonic dust removal, in-camera RAW processing and image editing, live view and movie mode.

Like the K-5, the K-5 II also offers a choice of shutter-release options - between focus priority and release priority in the AF.S (single) advance mode, or between focus priority and speed priority in the AF.C (continuous) advance mode - to make the photographer better equipped for varying photographic requirements.

The Pentax K-5 II has a sibling without an anti-alias filter called the K-5 IIs. The K-5 IIs is aimed at photographers who value a higher resolution and cleaner images and are willing to and capable of handling the risk of moiré patterns stemming from the lack of the AA filter.

Read our in-depth review of the K-5 II/K-5 IIs here.

Major features subsequently added through firmware updates:

Version 1.07: Support for the HD PENTAX-DA AF 1.4x Rear Converter
Version 1.05: AF assist light function made compatible with the new flashes, AF360FGZ II and AF540FGZ II
Camera Manual:

Operating Manual
in depth review

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review
Introduction

Read more at: Pentax K-5 II - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
10-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to photography the Pentax way.