Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2020, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #1

Hello from the heart of Sweden

My name is Peter Ladan and I live almost in the middle of Sweden. I have been working mostly with Nikon and Panasonic/Olympus. As I am an amateur-astronomer I am of course very interested in the capabilities of the Pentax cameras that have the AstroTracker functionality. I have been trying to read everything I can find about the difference between the K1 and K1 mk 2 but to me it is still not clear which one to get. Currently I can pick up the Mk 2 new for a lower price than the Mk1 used in Sweden. So if the Mk1 is better for astro than I would like to know that. Unfortunately I cannot find that answer anywhere. I guess I will go for the Mk2 as I will have full guarantee and service if something happens with the camera. I have been "playing" with it during the weekend when we had an astro-meet and I am extremely impressed by what it can do. I do not know if anyone has red the review of DigLloyd (diglloyd.com) but he is very positive about both models. He compares it with the Nikon D850 (which I have) and the Pentax comes out on top! I am looking forward to start using it and learn more from all of you!! Peter

09-30-2020, 07:11 AM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Peter, welcome from Australia.
09-30-2020, 07:30 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

before you buy the K 1 II over the K 1, both full frame sensor camera bodies., you may want to buy and read the ebook that covers both and explains the differences

the ebook is worth its price

Pentax eBook Downloads - Now on PF! (purchase here for instant access) - PentaxForums.com

you could, for free, look at this article:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Astrotracer Guide and GPS Feature Comparison
A look at the O-GPS1 versus in-camera GPS
By K David in Articles and Tips on May 10, 2018
Pentax cameras offer GPS functionality in two ways: either through the built-in antenna found in the Pentax K-1, K-1 II, and K-3 II, or through the O-GPS1 accessory, which works with most other DSLRs since 2010.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/pentax-astrotracer-guid...#ixzz6ZXHcBqNe
09-30-2020, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums. I have the Pentax K-1 II and it is fantastic.

10-03-2020, 02:23 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland, just across the water.
10-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you guys!!

I look forward to learn a lot and also give back what I have learned during the years. I have both bought the K1/K1 mk2 guide. Impressive source of information. I also bought and received my K1 mk 2 and am now anxiously waiting on the glass that I ordered. But the good news is that I now have time to read the manual!!!!