Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2020, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glasgow Quote
Is this still a good option in 2020?
Superb camera! I just bought a second K-1 body as a back up for my 4 years old K-1 (over 200.000 clicks now).

10-06-2020, 03:20 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review
Introduction
The Pentax K-1 full frame camera launched in February 2016 and made quite a splash in the Pentax community. This first full frame Pentax DSLR, loaded with many new and innovative features, was the camera many users had been waiting for. A popular and well-liked camera, the K-1 includes elements such as night illumination, a unique tilting LCD, a built-in GPS, shake reduction and pixel shift.

Fast forward in 2018. The K-1 is still as capable as before, and full frame cameras have a longer upgrade cycle than entry-level APS-C products. Nonetheless, Ricoh felt the time had come to offer an upgrade to their flagship. Enter the K-1 Mark II, a new DSLR which is almost identical to its predecessor, but with the inclusion of several new elements:

A new accelerator unit for improved noise handling at high ISO
A Dynamic Pixel Shift mode allowing the capture of handheld pixel shift images
Improved AF speed and tracking . . .
Read more at: Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

users reviews

Pentax K-1 II - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax K-1 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

I found an " experienced " K 1 II at a price I could not ignore

to answer the question posed by the OP

yes depending on the needs and budget of the OP, the K 1 is a good choice

as is any Pentax camera

they are merely tools and good photography is aided by the tools used, the knowledge and the experience of the photographer

YMMV

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-06-2020 at 03:52 AM.
10-06-2020, 06:33 AM   #18
Unregistered User

I don't now remember why, but when the "free upgrade to II" came out, I concluded that not only did I not need that upgrade, but felt the original K-1 was superior in some ways. I don't know how many other people came to that same conclusion, but it seems that the number of used K-1's (i.e., the "supply") will have diminished significantly, and if you want that model, I wouldn't expect the bargains to be too extreme, though I have no idea what the demand would be like. I don't feel I need two, but if I had none, I'd snatch one up in a heartbeat. Perhaps if one were to compare the features of the two, he might re-create my rationale for keeping the K-1 inviolate.

Somewhat later... Having re-evaluated my comparison, I remember why I didn't go for the "upgrade". The Kaf2 mount on the K-1 retains the screw drive for powering older lenses' autofocus mechanism. The Kaf4 mount on the K-1.2 removed that feature as well as an aperture control lever, assuming that one would only be using the latest designs in electronically controlled aperture and focus motors. The ISO values went way up with the K-1.2, but I never use anything greater than 6400 anyway. I still think the K-1 is overall a better camera for me; heck, I may have just talked myself into buying another one.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 10-06-2020 at 06:55 AM.
10-06-2020, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote

Somewhat later... Having re-evaluated my comparison, I remember why I didn't go for the "upgrade". The Kaf2 mount on the K-1 retains the screw drive for powering older lenses' autofocus mechanism. The Kaf4 mount on the K-1.2 removed that feature as well as an aperture control lever, assuming that one would only be using the latest designs in electronically controlled aperture and focus motors. The ISO values went way up with the K-1.2, but I never use anything greater than 6400 anyway. I still think the K-1 is overall a better camera for me; heck, I may have just talked myself into buying another one.
This is false. The kaf4 camera mount is backwards compatible with all previous lenses in the same way the previous version was. The lens side of the mount removed those items but not the camera.

The conversion to the k1mkii involved only an electronics update, and a new label to identify the model upgrade. The only real change was the addition of the accelerator chip. This bothered some users who felt this violated the raw files integrity. Additionally the Sony "Star Eater" fiasco was conflated with the Pentax upgrade and many worried this same behavior might surface in the mk2.

10-06-2020, 10:07 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glasgow Quote
Hi, i've owned a K30 and looking to go full frame. Contemplating getting a K1 mark 1. Is this still a good option in 2020? Noting it's about 4 years old? Guessing Pentax will maybe release a new FF model at some point?
The K1 series are excellent cameras. I think we are somewhere around a decade past the point where every new camera release was a quantum leap over the last generation, so the K1 being 4 years old isn't an especially big deal. We are seeing much higher resolution now than we were a few years back, which is rather a double edged sword. K1 DNG files are ~50mb, I don't know what the file sizes from a 61mp camera would be, I expect in the 85mb range.
Want a new camera? Put some money aside for a new computer.........

My photography is very technically dependent. I came to digital from the large format film world, I have pretty high standards for what I consider acceptable.
Would I like more MP and a new camera?
Yup.
Will I buy a new and improved Pentax full frame?
Yup.
Do I really need it?
Not really, the K1 does just fine, thank you.
10-06-2020, 12:42 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For what it's worth, I acquired a K-1 exactly a year ago. As of today, I don't think I'll ever need better IQ, at least from the camera's side (leave my LBA alone, please and thank you ). The thing has quality for days AND is a joy to use.

Unless you need high frame rate, it's a wholehearted recommendation from me.
10-06-2020, 03:07 PM - 2 Likes   #22

Original Poster
thanks all. all good info. a knowledgeable bunch on here.
10-07-2020, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is also interesting to note that several new cameras released after the K-1 have less than 36 MP without any major hoo-ha.

Indeed their benefits have been paraded around so that is a non-issue today.

If looking at other systems, research soon shows some missing features in the other system, or other nuisance type things. One card slot will not be SDHC, IBIS missing, raws are not in DNG format etc.
These things can be overcome of course, it's just that with the K-1 you don't need to. It was made you and your needs. YMMV

10-15-2020, 02:43 AM   #24
Unregistered User

I was thinking, the other day, that I ought to sell the K-1 while it's still worth something. I decided that I won't do that: I like it, it works fine, and the best way to get my money's worth out of the original purchase is to use the derned thing 'til it dies. I almost can't imagine cameras getting much better than that; I've also got a Canon 5ds-r, 50mpx, which really does hit the top of any expectations I might have of a camera, but that's overkill unless you really need the high-density resolution for, like, huge landscapes and such. Yeah, I'm keeping the K-1. The only downside is the lack of customer support for bought-as-new products.