Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2020, 04:09 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Hello Pentax World

Hi, I'm Lacci. If anyone's interested the "cc" makes a ch noise, the "a" is short, and the "i" is long.

I have been doing a fair amount of photography for the last decade or so, but have only recently jumped into the SLR world with a K-S2. Mine had a defective aperture stop, which happily was fixed and I've been feeling the camera out. I tend to shoot a lot of critters and a lot of sunsets, and a lot of plants. I have dabbled in astrophotography as well, which is much more doable with a DSLR so I'm excited to do more of that.

I studied physics at Notre Dame and am interested in optics so I enjoy learning some of the technical details of lenses and optical systems.

I don't have a huge lens budget so I'm trying to put together a collection of some vintage glass that'll let me photograph some things I like. I love photographing wildlife so I just got my first lens after the kit lens, a Pentax SMC 300mm f4. Hopefully I'll chase down some bunnies with it soon. I need to work out a tripod ring for it as well, but for now I can use it hand held.

I'm keeping an eye out for a Cosina 100mm F3.5 MC Makro or one of its white label variants. Or really any very affordable good macro lens. And I'll figure out where to go from there.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind that ridiculously long introduction. I'm excited to find such a vibrant online community.

10-19-2020, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #2
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Lacci,

Welcome to the Pentaxforum, we are like an extended family, we talk about a little bit of everything and can learn many useful things

Ciao Mario
10-19-2020, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

if interested in " experienced " equipment, keep an eye on what is in the marketplace which can be sorted by country

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

as far as macro goes:

QuoteQuote:
The Advantages of a Dedicated Macro Lens
Achieving lift-size magnification
By PF Staff in Tutorial Videos on Apr 4, 2016
Read more at: The Advantages of a Dedicated Macro Lens - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Pentax has many choices for 1:1 macro lenses including the 100mm F2.8 Macro family:

QuoteQuote:
The SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm Macro F2.8 WR is the fourth version of this particular autofocus macro design. The series started with the F 100mm, followed by the FA 100mm, and more recently the D FA 100mm (non-WR). These four lenses share the same optical formula
Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and if you can find one of the earlier variants, the cost of a lens can be quite reasonable
10-19-2020, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum!
Now I have in my head Elmer Fudd singing to the tune of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries:
"Shoot the wabbit
shoot the wabbit!
with the 300
with the 300!"

Thanks,

10-19-2020, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Lacci, welcome from Australia.
10-19-2020, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum! As a fellow physicist, I understand your interest in technical aspects. You'll like it here.
10-19-2020, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, Lacci. Another welcome from Australia.
10-19-2020, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.

10-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
I'm definitely keeping my eye on those 100mm f2.8 macros. Right this second I'd have to find quite a deal on one to fit it in my budget, but that'll change eventually I hope. I'm definitely shopping the bargain bin right now. It seems like I hit gold once with the 300mm F4, so I'll have to see what else comes along.
10-20-2020, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum enjoy all that it has to offer you.
10-20-2020, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #11

Hey Lacci!!! Welcome from San Antonio Texas!