Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2020, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Beginner Here

Hello all!

I've been on the forum for a few months now. I found this site when I was researching cameras a while back and found it extremely helpful. After much research, I ended up picking the K-70 as it fit my needs well for a great beginner DSLR. The amount of information found on pentaxforums is unreal. I learned so much about lenses, compatibility, cameras, and more.

I'm new to photography and have enjoyed this journey so so much. My interests lie mostly in wildlife photography, however, I am interested in anything to do with capturing unique lighting situations as well. The difficulty of photography is actually one of the many reasons I have come to love it. It seems that there is always something to learn and improve on, and always something else out there I'm itching to snap a shot of.

Anyway, feel free to browse my photos and leave suggestions, tips, love, or really anything.

Unfortunately, I left my K-70 on the roof of my car after a hike to Waggoner's Gap Hawk Watch and it smashed on the pavement during my ride home. Due to that, I may not be posting new content until I replace it.

Thanks for reading!
- Dylan

11-02-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DylanHarris Quote
Unfortunately, I left my K-70 on the roof of my car after a hike to Waggoner's Gap Hawk Watch and it smashed on the pavement during my ride home. Due to that, I may not be posting new content until I replace it.
Ow. Many years ago I did something similar, leaving putting my camera on the car roof at the end of a hike, then driving off. Luckily for me, that was back in the days when SLRs were simple and sturdy and had leather cases, so the camera (and lens) survived. (Helped that it was a dirt parking lot.) Perhaps you'll find a good deal for a replacement body.
11-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I left my first camera on a bus. I helped a frail elderly woman off the bus forgetting to grab my camera from the overhead storage on the way out. These things happen.

This always reminds me of that old saying "Trust in God, but keep your powder dry." for some reason.

Make sure you are entering the K-70 giveaway.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/414571-pentax-k-70...ay.html?src=nt

Last edited by normhead; 11-02-2020 at 12:48 PM.
11-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!
Take a look at the marketplace here on the forum , i have bought most of my cameras and lenses here with no issues and often very good prices. K-5s are great bargains now.

If you like unique lighting situations, especially in natural light, you should become familiar with the Manual settings' effect on the final image. For artificial light, you have many choices and techniques.

11-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!
Sorry to hear about your roof riding mishap.
11-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum
11-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #7

Hello all!

I've been on the forum for a few months now. I found this site when I was researching cameras a while back and found it extremely helpful. After much research, I ended up picking the K-70 as it fit my needs well for a great beginner DSLR. The amount of information found on pentaxforums is unreal. I learned so much about lenses, compatibility, cameras, and more.

I'm new to photography and have enjoyed this journey so so much. My interests lie mostly in wildlife photography, however, I am interested in anything to do with capturing unique lighting situations as well. The difficulty of photography is actually one of the many reasons I have come to love it. It seems that there is always something to learn and improve on, and always something else out there I'm itching to snap a shot of.

Anyway, feel free to browse my photos and leave suggestions, tips, love, or really anything.

Thanks for reading!
- Dylan
Oh what a reminder! Back in the 80's I used a public restroom hung my Pentax ME on the door walked out washed my hands and left the restroom. I quickly realized my error returned to the restroom and sure enough the camera and the film inside with the photos I had taken of my father, since deceased, were gone. Wishing you every success in having your camera replaced. What an awful feeling.

11-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #8
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome the the Forums from Australia. Sorry to hear about you K-70 accident. But with the K3-iii due in February, maybe the gods were trying to tell you something (I'm just trying to put a hopeful spin on it).
11-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What a great first post, Dylan. Welcome - and sorry to hear about your K-70

If I can make a suggestion, replace that K-70 quickly - or, if finances prevent that, pick up a cheap older K-mount body that you can use in the mean-time. It's so easy to get out of the habit of taking photos... heck, I fall into the trap even with my equipment lying around ready; but at least if you have something, whether it's a new K-70 or something older and more limited, lack of equipment can't be a reason for inactivity
11-02-2020, 03:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello all!

Thanks for reading!
- Dylan
First and foremost, so sorry to hear of the loss of your camera. I picked up a K70 about a year ago and love the results. I upgraded from a Kx which also is a good camera. A few more bells and whistles on the K70 and a bit more to learn, but that is all part of the game.

Second, welcome to the forum, lots of info here for a new photographer. Hope you get the replacement soon.
11-02-2020, 04:25 PM - 2 Likes   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I left my first camera on a bus. I helped a frail elderly woman off the bus forgetting to grab my camera from the overhead storage on the way out. These things happen.

This always reminds me of that old saying "Trust in God, but keep your powder dry." for some reason.

Make sure you are entering the K-70 giveaway.
Pentax K-70 Giveaway - November - Enter here once per day! - PentaxForums.com
Decades ago, me not being a morning person and packing up to go to work with my gear too early, left my entire camera kit on the pavement at Canadian Tire, a major retailer here in Canada. I did not realize all my gear was gone until I reached my first workstation across the city. I called the service desk of that store and some wonderful person had picked up my gear and turned it in to the store. I still reach for that story when I need my faith in humankind restored.
11-02-2020, 11:53 PM - 2 Likes   #12

Ouch! So sorry to hear about your mishap with the K-70. And yes, +1 to entering the K-70 raffle! Derekmadge, I had a similar experience with a Canon ultrazoom I owned 12 years ago before getting my first K-x. Was in Copenhagen on a family holiday and left the entire camera bag in a restaurant by accident. Luckily they found and kept it, so I was able to go back and retrieve it. There definitely are good people around!
11-03-2020, 05:44 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Welcome from Greece Dylan! Too bad you "lost" you K-70 but I'm sure you'll replace it somehow and keep enjoying your new one.
11-03-2020, 05:50 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DylanHarris;5108512. :
Unfortunately, I left my K-70 on the roof of my car after a hike to Waggoner's Gap Hawk Watch and it smashed on the pavement during my ride home. . . . Dylan
have you tried contacting your insurance company

not saying there is coverage but I certainly would make a phone call or two

such stuff happens:

I was at " Opening Day " at the Kansas City Royals a couple of years ago and walked from the bar where I had been sheltering from the rain and using a telephoto lens

I suddenly realized I had left a clear plastic bag full of lenses on the floor where I had been sitting

[ for security purposes, any bags carried into the stadium had to be clear so the contents could be screened easily ]

I had been there for quite a while and a lot of people saw me and my equipment

I hurried back and found that other people who had been sitting at the far end of the long stand up table had secured the items for me

I thanked them and bought them a round of drinks

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-03-2020 at 06:01 AM.
11-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Welcome from England Dylan. So sad to hear about your k70. perfect time to join the forum and win a K70.