Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #1

Hello!

Since the forum has prodded me to introduce myself this way, I'll say hello! Don't know if anyone likes reading these little personal camera biographies, but hey.

My little Pentax collection is mostly analogue, and harks back to when my grandpa was a loyal Pentax user. The main one I use when I feel like using film is an ME-Super. I've ended up with a few different lenses but it almost always has a 50mm on it. Still have a bunch of my grandpa's filters including the incredible "fantastic colour" polariser that blends from blue to red via purple - for B&W film, of course.

I've also tried out life with an MX and a Super-A, but the ME-Super always feels like the perfect compromise of lightweight, simplicity, and quick-to-use.

My first digital was also a little Pentax Optio S5i but at the time that I wanted a digital SLR, I didn't see a model I fancied, so have disloyally dabbled with Canon and Nikon... and mostly use a Fuji X-Pro1 nowadays for the Leica experience! But the Me-Super has such a great feel to it, I don't see myself ever parting with it!

So there you go, hello!

11-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Welcome
11-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!

aotearoa
11-02-2020, 02:32 PM   #4

Welcome!

11-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome and yes your intro is read by many and it is a good way to find folks with similar interests.
11-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kierant Quote
Since the forum has prodded me to introduce myself this way, I'll say hello! Don't know if anyone likes reading these little personal camera biographies, but hey.

My little Pentax collection is mostly analogue, and harks back to when my grandpa was a loyal Pentax user. The main one I use when I feel like using film is an ME-Super. I've ended up with a few different lenses but it almost always has a 50mm on it. Still have a bunch of my grandpa's filters including the incredible "fantastic colour" polariser that blends from blue to red via purple - for B&W film, of course.

I've also tried out life with an MX and a Super-A, but the ME-Super always feels like the perfect compromise of lightweight, simplicity, and quick-to-use.

My first digital was also a little Pentax Optio S5i but at the time that I wanted a digital SLR, I didn't see a model I fancied, so have disloyally dabbled with Canon and Nikon... and mostly use a Fuji X-Pro1 nowadays for the Leica experience! But the Me-Super has such a great feel to it, I don't see myself ever parting with it!

So there you go, hello!
couple

I read your intro and say, "Welcome, glad to have you here." Pentax cameras are my choice and have been for many years. I have used a couple Canons and even a Nikon or two. Both are good cameras but I stick with the Pentax as I have a few lenses that still work on my digital SLRs and Pentax fits my personal budget a lot better.
11-03-2020, 02:56 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

Chas, you mentioned sticking with Pentax because of having a few lenses, and that reminded me to mention something — I've acquired an adapter very cheaply that lets me use Pentax lenses with the Fuji X-Pro1 and I must say, the quality is astonishingly good.

The official Fuji lenses are pretty expensive, and although using the Pentax ones means no auto-focus, that really doesn't bother me.

11-03-2020, 03:16 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . My little Pentax collection is mostly analogue, and harks back to when my grandpa was a loyal Pentax user. The main one I use when I feel like using film is an ME-Super. I've ended up with a few different lenses but it almost always has a 50mm on it. Still have a bunch of my grandpa's filters including the incredible "fantastic colour" polariser that blends from blue to red via purple - for B&W film, of course.

I've also tried out life with an MX and a Super-A, . . .

So there you go, hello!
Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and lot of knowledge here

have you found the owners' reviews of the Pentax SLR camera bodies yet ?

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Film SLR Databases and Resources
We have the following film SLR resources on the site, in addition to the forum:
Read more at: Pentax Film SLR Databases and Resources - PentaxForums.com

here is the link for the ME Super:

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax ME Super improved upon the original ME by introducing two push buttons on the top plate allowing the user to electronically dial in the desired shutter speed, giving him or her much more flexibility when shooting manually. This design was later carried over to the ME F (Pentax's first autofocus camera) and the Super A (which could set the aperture automatically and hence provided Tv and Program automation in addition to the Av and M exposure modes of the ME Super).

Other improvements over the ME was a faster top shutter speed of 1/2000 s and a warning light in the view finder when EV compensation was engaged.

Variants:
PENTAX ME Super: The original
PENTAX ME Super SE: A 'Special Edition' version was released in later years, featuring a diagonal split screen rather than a horizontal one

Read more at: Pentax ME Super - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
11-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.....
11-05-2020, 09:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome from Tennessee!
11-08-2020, 06:03 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, enjoy your fine mechanical photography with Pentax
11-08-2020, 08:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks everyone!

Chas, you mentioned sticking with Pentax because of having a few lenses, and that reminded me to mention something — I've acquired an adapter very cheaply that lets me use Pentax lenses with the Fuji X-Pro1 and I must say, the quality is astonishingly good.

The official Fuji lenses are pretty expensive, and although using the Pentax ones means no auto-focus, that really doesn't bother me.
I assumed you were referring to me with this post. Thank you for the suggestion but I prefer using a DSLR, not a MILC. I guess that is because I'm and old codger and don't want to change much.
11-08-2020, 08:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum, from Arizona.
11-09-2020, 03:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi Kieran, welcome.
When I had a K1000 in the 80's, the ME Super was always my covet camera... I loved is small form factor. Have fun
11-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum!