Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2020, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #1

New Pentax user from Canada

Just saying hi!

Recently sold my Sony A6000 and related "stuff" and picked up a K-3 II and K-5 II.

The K-3 II has the same sensor as the A6000, but the experience with each camera is completely different. I LOVE the way the Pentax works/feels etc.

I'm also really happy with my lens selection so far:

Sigma 10-20 F/3.5
Sigma 17-50 F/2.8
Rokinon 8mm fisheye

I'm lacking a good telephoto zoom. I find this the hardest lens to buy for Pentax. I have an old Minolta 70-210 F/4 "Beercan" which I love(d)! It was cheap, sharp, and well built. Pentax doesn't seem to have an equivalent. The cheaper Tamron and Sigmas get less-than-stellar reviews, and anything better is either rare or costs an arm-and-a-leg. Suggestions welcome! The Sigma 50-150 looks nice but people seem to want $600ish which I think is a lot.

Happy to be here!

11-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome ! You'll find this an excellent forum. I'm from the prairies too...Manitoba. One lens I've always liked as a telephoto zoom is the Pentax 55-300.

Here are reviews from the forum by members of just one version of the 55-300 and there are other reviews of the other versions in this section. Now there are a number of different versions and I don't know which is which, but other member will I'm sure.

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

You might want ask this question about which telephoto zoom is best for the budget in this Pentax Forum section.

Pentax SLR Lens Discussion - PentaxForums.com
11-09-2020, 12:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Welcome ! You'll find this an excellent forum. I'm from the prairies too...Manitoba. One lens I've always liked as a telephoto zoom is the Pentax 55-300.

Here are reviews from the forum by members of just one version of the 55-300 and there are other reviews of the other versions in this section. Now there are a number of different versions and I don't know which is which, but other member will I'm sure.

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

You might want ask this question about which telephoto zoom is best for the budget in this Pentax Forum section.

Pentax SLR Lens Discussion - PentaxForums.com
Thanks again @lesmore!

I grew up in Winnipeg, now live in Calgary. I drive back and forth 2 or 3 times a year. I absolutely love the prairies. On this particular drive, I went North of Hwy #1 and through Dauphin (beautiful town) and through "The Narrows". I saw many interesting things I'd never seen before. Loved it.

I think a 55-300 lens would compliment my current lenses really well. I just need to pony up the $500 CAD to buy one. I was spoiled with my $50 Minolta.
11-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

the 55-300 family may be the best consumer zooms

I recommend the OP go to these links

QuoteQuote:
About the SMC Pentax-DA Lens Series
SMC Pentax-DA zoom lenses are optimized for use with Pentax Digital SLRs. They cannot be used on film because they only cover the APS-C image circle.
Auto-focus
Auto-aperture (no aperture ring)
Digital-only

Read more at: Pentax DA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

QuoteQuote:
About the SMC Pentax-DA L Lens Series
SMC Pentax-DA L zoom lenses are optimized for use with Pentax Digital SLRs. They cannot be used on film because they only cover the APS-C image circle. The DA L series is a budget series and differs from the DA series in that its lenses do not offer quick-shift focusing and have plastic rather than metal mounts. Pentax DA L lenses are only available in camera kit bundles.
Auto-focus
Auto-aperture (no aperture ring)
Digital-only

Read more at: Pentax DA L Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

review the in depth reviews of the 55-300m zooms and the owners reviews

the posts in this thread may be of interest:

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Telephoto for a Beginner

Hello all, I was speaking with my father-in-law today, and, as happens from time to time, got asked advice on cameras and lenses. . . .

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-09-2020 at 12:59 PM.
11-09-2020, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Just to add bit of information, the DA 55-300 will behave normally on a K-3. On a K-5 it will only operate wide open in AV.

It doesn't matter much, with the constant ƒ6.3. It's nice focal length to shoot at on APS_c in any case.

K-5 and DA 55-300 PLM.
11-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just to add bit of information, the DA 55-300 will behave normally on a K-3. On a K-5 it will only operate wide open in AV.

It doesn't matter much, with the constant ƒ6.3. It's nice focal length to shoot at on APS_c in any case.

K-5 and DA 55-300 PLM.
That silly sharp to my eye!

Well then, thanks for the feeback. The 55-300 seems like a great option. I'll spend some time studying the various versions.
11-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

K-5 and DA 55-300 PLM.
the newest version the PLM version is the one that works fully with only certain Pentax camera bodies

the other versions will work on other cameras bodies
these charts can be very helpful:
QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2020 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens which is not singled out, look under DA lenses, etc.
Exceptions:
FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.
The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell
There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.
The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

11-09-2020, 01:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ngrover Quote
Thanks again @lesmore!

I grew up in Winnipeg, now live in Calgary. I drive back and forth 2 or 3 times a year. I absolutely love the prairies. On this particular drive, I went North of Hwy #1 and through Dauphin (beautiful town) and through "The Narrows". I saw many interesting things I'd never seen before. Loved it.

I think a 55-300 lens would compliment my current lenses really well. I just need to pony up the $500 CAD to buy one. I was spoiled with my $50 Minolta.
You're welcome, I'm in Winnipeg, grew up in Fort Rouge, now live in South St. Vital. I like Dauphin and nearby Riding Mountain National Park. I recall driving through the park one summer night just before sunset....Moose, bears, etc....all seemed to be moving across or near the road. Unfortunately did not have my camera with me.

I think you'll like the Pentax Forum. Lots of helpful people and a very pleasant forum.
11-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the newest version the PLM version is the one that works fully with only certain Pentax camera bodies

the other versions will work on other cameras bodies
these charts can be very helpful:

The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Very helpful. Much appreciated.

So preliminary investigation indicates that the PLM might be optically different than the previous two generations of 55-300 but all of them are great lenses.

I'm not too concerned about compatibility with my K-5 II as I plan to give that to my daughter. That leaves me with a K-3 II to consider.

The PLM looks very tempting and given the negligible cost difference between the two WR models, I think the PLM makes more sense.

Compared to the original DA, it seems like the image quality is a toss-up? The DA lens is much cheaper, but the build quality and lack of WR are hits against it.

Is the PLM known to fail on the PLM 55-300 ?

Thanks again
11-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ngrover Quote
Is the PLM known to fail on the PLM 55-300 ?

Thanks again
Unlike some of the SDM motors, I have never heard of a PLM failure and I have been lurking on this Pentax forum for a long time.
11-09-2020, 02:34 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from Rome, Italy.

Enjoy the forums and the ton of info you will find here-
11-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Welcome from HK!

Hope you're hunkering down for winter!
11-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum enjoy all that the forum has to offer
11-10-2020, 06:30 PM   #14

Welcome to Pentax Forums from Berlin.
11-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Welcome to PF.
Where in Canada are u?
What do you want to photograph with the telephoto? What are your interests? Sports, people, ??
Regards, David, Toronto