Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kudukid Quote
. . . utilize ED glass.. . .
for those who may not know what " ED " or other suffixes used by Pentax mean:

QuoteQuote:
Lens Name Suffixes

The following abbreviations are used in lens names:

AL: Aspheric Lens. Special lens elements that improves the optical quality. Particularly valuable in wide angle lenses.
AW: All Weather. The highest degree of sealing against dust and rain.
DC, PLM or SDM: The lens has a built-in motor for autofocus (K10D, K100D and newer cameras can take advantage of this).
ED: Extra-low Dispersion. Special glass material which helps reduce chromatic aberration. Particularly valuable in tele photo lenses.
IF: Internal focusing. Focusing is achieved by moving lens elements within the lens. The lens barrel doesn't move. IF lenses generally focus faster than ordinary lenses.
RE: Retractable lens. The lens collapses in length when not in use.
XS: Lenses with an exterior design by Mark Newson matching the Pentax K-01. Works like an ordinary DA lens.
WR: Weather Resistant. The lens is sealed against dust and light rain.
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
11-15-2020, 05:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome.
11-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kudukid Quote
I'll be trying to appeal to those photographers who want high performance without breaking the piggy bank.
They are all good at first.

11-22-2020, 01:12 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Hey, we have ourselves an optics buff. The more, the merrier! Welcome to the forum!
05-18-2021, 02:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Welcome!
05-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
works fine and simple to use

Back in the film days, I happened to purchase an A 35-105 lens. I was just beginning to get more adventurous in photography as my first modern camera was the Super Program. I really liked that camera. To expand from the kit lens ( A 50mm, 1.7 ) I purchased the A 70-210 lens as I wanted to be able to see things up close. However, my next lens was the 35-105 and that quickly became my main lens. I did not know it at the time, but this lens is now regarded as one of the better lenses from that era. I still miss it but since I have now graduated to DA* lenses, it is likely just as well to have it as a fond memory. The other special lens from back in the day is the A 15 lens. I still use this on occasion and think it is also one of the best of the old stuff that Pentax made. What favourites do you have from yesteryear?