Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2020, 07:33 PM   #1

Lightroom

How does everyone like Lightroom?? Anything better of free to use on the Internet?

11-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I do. I’m using version 6. Pre-online
11-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Free? I've been using darktable since 2016. It's awesome, but doesn't come with an advanced DAM module like Lightroom.
11-11-2020, 08:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like LR just fine, I use the Classic version, but have the other version on ipad and iphone. Photoshop is also included and that's very nice to have. I've been abler to get it free for being an Adobe Stock contributor, but who knows if that will last.

11-11-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I love it. I subscribe and get both it and Photoshop.
11-11-2020, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom for many years. Subscription for it and Photoshop.

There are a number of 'free' programs that will substitute. But none I am aware of that do everything. Darktable might be the closest, though I've never used it. Many people seem to think it works well.
11-11-2020, 11:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve used Lr and Ps for some years. It was very nice till the subscription part. I’ve been using Darktable and Rawtherapee. Nice results, free software, the first is very similar to Lr, gets the job done if you get to know it. I still have a long way but I can get pretty much what I want already.

11-12-2020, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the last stand alone version -- version 6. The fact that Pentax cameras shoot DNG files makes it pretty easy to process them, even if they are no longer supported. I just hate the subscription model from a hobby standpoint.

Raw Therapee is another free piece of software I use reguarly -- mostly for processing pixel shift images and it works really well.
11-12-2020, 05:58 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Still using Lightroom in the stand alone ver. 6. something........ it still does a good job.
11-12-2020, 06:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I think we're stuck with Lightroom if we want the whole slew of features.

For my part I have tried a few but none gives me the cataloging, keywords manager, database, AND image processing.
11-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I think we're stuck with Lightroom if we want the whole slew of features.For my part I have tried a few but none gives me the cataloging, keywords manager, database, AND image processing.
+1. I keep looking and reviewing as new software comes out. But nothing is quite there all in one package. At present that is worth the $10 / month to me. Maybe someday there will be a free (or even paid) package that compares.
I think if you are wiling to use multiple programs you can put together a workflow that suits you but at the expense of convenience and time. And Lightroom continues to improve so its not like they are standing still waiting on the competition.
11-12-2020, 06:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Started using RawTherapee based off another post and I'm really liking it. My previous workflow involved individually developing RAW files with Affinity Photo and I'm just glad I can do batches now.
11-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
+1. I keep looking and reviewing as new software comes out. But nothing is quite there all in one package. At present that is worth the $10 / month to me. Maybe someday there will be a free (or even paid) package that compares.
I think if you are wiling to use multiple programs you can put together a workflow that suits you but at the expense of convenience and time. And Lightroom continues to improve so its not like they are standing still waiting on the competition.
That is correct. It's not perfect, but still the versatile.

That doesn't mean I'm happy with the licensing model for payment, of course.
11-13-2020, 05:47 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't used the freeware RAW processing tools out there - I use Lightroom 6 like many others do, pre-subscription, however I have gotten some decent additional tools that didn't cost me. On1 at times offers free full versions of some of their plugins, the Effects module is pretty good, and complements LR well. Also if you do anything on mobile, Snapseed has gotten really good, and supports many RAW formats. It won't give you high-quality noise reduction or spot tool/gradients like Lightroom does, but if you only need light work, it's pretty cool.
11-14-2020, 02:07 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, at £10 per month is a no brainer for me and that includes Photoshop and Lightroom mobile too.