Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2020, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #1

Yet another new user - bought a KX

Hi everyone,

Just sold all my Fujifiilm X kit as it was getting silly trying to decide what to take out with me.

I always used to adapt pentax M and A lenses onto it so thought I would get a body that didn't need adapting. Always thought highly of Ricoh/pentax due to the quality of those old lenses and many years with a tiny GR.

As luck would have it my dad gave me his old P30 body that had been around Europe with him, but after trying to load a roll of Ektar in there, realised that the shutter release wasn't firing and I couldn't advance the film... stuck in S on counter. Might be the magnets not aligning... who knows until I take it apart.
In a moment of weakness (genius?) I picked up a KX from EBay to keep things more mechanical. Paid over the odds but it looks in absolutely great condition, and it's been CLAd which I guess I should factor in.

Plan is to keep my Leica Q for anything widish and pretty much have the 50 1.7 glued to the front of the KX (until I sucumb to an 85 1.8) so that I can enjoy the benefits of both digital and film.

Great to see such a friendly and active forum if I need some backup!

11-12-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Rome, it
11-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Dave, look forward to sharing some photos!
11-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! The film users on this site are an amazing bunch. I am sure you will fit right in.

Steve

11-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
Pretty sure I'm going to need to pick their brains Steve. So far my film experience begins and ends with very automatic APS cameras back in the 90's.

I'm used to shooting digital manually though, so thought it would be fun to turn to film to check out those colours we're always trying to emulate!
11-12-2020, 02:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrginger Quote
Pretty sure I'm going to need to pick their brains Steve. So far my film experience begins and ends with very automatic APS cameras back in the 90's.

I'm used to shooting digital manually though, so thought it would be fun to turn to film to check out those colours we're always trying to emulate!
Welcome to gods own country did you shoot raw or jpeg on the Fuji? Now, what you need is a decent m42 adapter, then you can go nuts like the rest of us. once you start buying Takumars you will never look back
11-12-2020, 03:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.

11-12-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi from another KX user, I quit photography at the milennium but a KX picked up in a junk shop a few years ago restarted the interest. I never really took to digital but am really enjoying film all over again.
Hope you will too
11-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from NY State! I went from one K-7 to multiple bodies (K-01, K-1, Q, WG20) and like that I can use all my lenses on 3 of the 4. A very nice system approach!
11-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

might I suggest you check out this area of the forums?

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax K-x is an excellent entry-level DSLR which in 2009 revolutionized the market for beginner cameras. With a kit price of below $700, the K-x offered amazing performance at an extremely affordable price. Its highlights include a 12.4 megapixel CMOS sensor with excellent low-light performance, Pentax's shake-reduction and dust removal systems, full-auto "green" mode, a use-friendly menu, and a very large LCD screen. The K-x was discontinued in 2011 being replaced by the K-r.

Camera Manual:

Operating Manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-x.pdf

Read more at: Pentax K-x - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
11-12-2020, 05:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KX is one of the best classic film bodies. Solid quality. MX is another K mount option.
11-12-2020, 06:02 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

opps

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax KX was one of the three original K-mount cameras introduced by Pentax as a replacement for the Spotmatic family of screw mount cameras.

The KX model was one step up from the KM with a more sensitive light meter, a wider ISO range, and mirror lock-up. It had a match-needle exposure readout so that the shutter speed set was indicated in the viewfinder. The aperture set on the lens was visible in the viewfinder through a small window.

The KX is the only Pentax where the wind lever must be pulled slightly out for the meter to work. This makes the camera unsuitable for left-eyed users. Fortunately Pentax didn't repeat this poor design on their later cameras.

Read more at: Pentax KX - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

QuoteQuote:
PentaxForums.com → Pentax Cameras → Pentax Film SLR Discussion
Pentax Film SLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com

[ I had started to reference the SLR section but then got confused, my bad ]
11-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome, have fun!
11-12-2020, 06:50 PM   #14

Welcome from Berlin!