Welcome.

11-15-2020, 05:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome.
11-15-2020, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
SSDCanada 630 shots. That's crazy! Sounds like a classic case of this problem arising due to LACK OF USE. I've read in some posts that this is possible due to the solenoid becoming magnetised over time.
RobSpain - Interesting idea! but you would expect greater use to cause magnetization as each time the coil is activated the solenoid material would become more magnetized. And if it did get magnetized over greater usage, that points to an error in material selection as the iron composition of solenoids was not selected properly - that is a field all on it's own! So who knows but it points to someone somewhere making a saving of a few cents to push profits instead of quality - never a good idea!
11-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Welcome!

11-15-2020, 05:53 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!
11-22-2020, 01:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
SSDCanada 630 shots. That's crazy! Sounds like a classic case of this problem arising due to LACK OF USE. I've read in some posts that this is possible due to the solenoid becoming magnetised over time.
Yes, this seems to be a very clear example from lack of use. Hope it gets sorted out one way or the other, and welcome to the forum, SSDCanada!
11-22-2020, 12:05 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have almost 1,000 shots on my K70 so that may be a good sign.

11-29-2020, 05:35 PM - 2 Likes   #23

Original Poster
K70 aperture solenoid replaced successfully

Hello,

After receiving the replacement white solenoid I was able to dive into the K70 and replace the green one that was causing the dark shots.
Some important differences learned during repair, after following photogem's excellent tutorial but which was for a K30.
1) All the screw locations are similar EXCEPT you do not need to remove the one on the inside, bottom of the battery compartment. I realized this after seeing that the screw was partially over-lapped by the battery cover wall so it must have been screwed in at another stage in the manufacture.
2) There is a third screw located on the side where the HDMI port is located. This is again different from the K30 which has two. Removed by pulling away the rubber sheet attached with double-sided tape.

Apart from that the replacement of the solenoid is straight forward, test pics afterwards appear back to normal: a heavy paperweight has been restored to something useful!

Only other advice would be to use high quality cross head screwdrivers. You should be able to hold a removed screw horizontally against gravity with a good cross head screwdriver.
11-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Berlin!
12-27-2020, 12:36 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSDCanada Quote
Hello,

After receiving the replacement white solenoid I was able to dive into the K70 and replace the green one that was causing the dark shots.
Some important differences learned during repair, after following photogem's excellent tutorial but which was for a K30.
1) All the screw locations are similar EXCEPT you do not need to remove the one on the inside, bottom of the battery compartment. I realized this after seeing that the screw was partially over-lapped by the battery cover wall so it must have been screwed in at another stage in the manufacture.
2) There is a third screw located on the side where the HDMI port is located. This is again different from the K30 which has two. Removed by pulling away the rubber sheet attached with double-sided tape.

Apart from that the replacement of the solenoid is straight forward, test pics afterwards appear back to normal: a heavy paperweight has been restored to something useful!

Only other advice would be to use high quality cross head screwdrivers. You should be able to hold a removed screw horizontally against gravity with a good cross head screwdriver.
I just happened to find your thread because sadly it was not in the K70 section, I don't read all new posts because way beyond my time/capacity.
I actually wrote a tutorial for the K-70 already in September 2019, you find it here:
Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com

The good quality cross-head screwdrivers are also mentioned in my tutorials, as they best are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard), great value one finds for a good price by Vessel: "Vessel Set 9902"

Anyway, it is good to hear that another K-70 was saved.
12-27-2020, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #26

That repair is an absolute breeze. The worst part of it is worrying about screwing it up! The camera already doesn't work... What's left to lose?
For my K30, I was in and out in 35 minutes total - including soldering.

<Edit>
Glad it's saved!

Last edited by Karasu1970; 12-27-2020 at 05:44 AM.
12-27-2020, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I just happened to find your thread because sadly it was not in the K70 section, I don't read all new posts because way beyond my time/capacity.
I actually wrote a tutorial for the K-70 already in September 2019, you find it here:
Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com

The good quality cross-head screwdrivers are also mentioned in my tutorials, as they best are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard), great value one finds for a good price by Vessel: "Vessel Set 9902"

Anyway, it is good to hear that another K-70 was saved.
Appreciate that, I didn't find your K70 tutorial. But it's fixed now, seems daunting when you look at the intricate mechanisms and the fine details, worrying that it will never go back together - but it did!
A google search is what directed me to your tutorial and then I joined the forum when I saw the K30 repair.
Cheers!

---------- Post added 12-27-20 at 10:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Karasu1970 Quote
That repair is an absolute breeze. The worst part of it is worrying about screwing it up! The camera already doesn't work... What's left to lose?
For my K30, I was in and out in 35 minutes total - including soldering.

<Edit>
Glad it's saved!
Yes thanks saved camera and a lot of money!
Best