Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #1

New member, K70

Hello

I am a long time Pentax user, mainly macro, microscope, bellows etc. Previous owner of Spotmatic, K2, KX, LX and finally digital move to K70. Suffered LX 'sticky mirror' for ages, and was pleased to move to K70 after an interim phase with Fugifilm Finepix 4900Z (also a fine piece of equipment somewhat under rated). I joined today as after three years of relatively little use I am seeing aperture block failure on the K70. This is VERY disappointing after the LX stick mirror and am determined to sort this out. I just ordered the replacement white solenoid from ebay and hope to follow Photogem's beautiful instructions on the work to replace it and get back to mormal. Disappointed that Ricoh failed QC and not surprised that there is a Class Action against them in the USA for the K70 dark photos that a lot of other people are experiencing.

11-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sad to hear that. Welcome to the forum. Hope you work this out.
11-13-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums. It is unfortunate about that solenoid problem. In my opinion Ricoh should have offered a re-call and repair service. It would be expensive but you have to consider what is reputation worth.
11-13-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi and welcome to the forums. Im sorry to hear about your problems! My own experience when starting with Pentax was also troublesome, but it helped me better understand and hence better valuate the system.

11-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!
11-13-2020, 05:21 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here
11-13-2020, 07:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome and sorry you have to put up with that on your K70... Hope they fix it for you.

11-14-2020, 02:09 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, hope you can get your issues resolved promptly
11-14-2020, 04:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSDCanada Quote
Hello

I am a long time Pentax user, mainly macro, microscope, bellows etc. Previous owner of Spotmatic, K2, KX, LX and finally digital move to K70. Suffered LX 'sticky mirror' for ages, and was pleased to move to K70 after an interim phase with Fugifilm Finepix 4900Z (also a fine piece of equipment somewhat under rated). I joined today as after three years of relatively little use I am seeing aperture block failure on the K70. This is VERY disappointing after the LX stick mirror and am determined to sort this out. I just ordered the replacement white solenoid from ebay and hope to follow Photogem's beautiful instructions on the work to replace it and get back to mormal. Disappointed that Ricoh failed QC and not surprised that there is a Class Action against them in the USA for the K70 dark photos that a lot of other people are experiencing.
You and me too! I have the LX and the now the K-70. Sorry to hear about the dreaded issue. Out of curiosity how many shots had you taken when the problem arose?
11-14-2020, 07:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello

Welcome to the Forum. Sorry you have the aperture block in your K70. I picked up K70 about a year ago without hearing about that problem and now am hoping it was corrected before mine was made. You are more adventurous than I am, I'd never try repairing a camera myself, lack of knowledge and tools plus I've had experiences with left over parts when attempting other repair jobs. Good luck with the repair, I hope it goes well for you.
11-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums! Hope these cameras get fixed and get put to good use...
11-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!!
11-14-2020, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
RobSpain - When it reached approx 630 shots - it was intermittent at first I thought I had done something wrong..but after another episode they all came out dark which is when I started the google search! Glad I landed here.
Solenoid should come in soon, will have to start clearing and cleaning some workspace.

---------- Post added 11-14-20 at 08:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Welcome to the Forum. Sorry you have the aperture block in your K70. I picked up K70 about a year ago without hearing about that problem and now am hoping it was corrected before mine was made. You are more adventurous than I am, I'd never try repairing a camera myself, lack of knowledge and tools plus I've had experiences with left over parts when attempting other repair jobs. Good luck with the repair, I hope it goes well for you.
Photos-by-Chas - I am not 100% confident that I will be able to repair it but fortunately I have spent most of my life learning about things by taking them apart - usually when they reach their end of life or I am trying to revive them! As far as this K70 goes I felt it's in too good a state to sell for parts only or to get rid of it. Besides which it was a $1000 Canadian gift from my son! The trick I use when repairing things eg smartphones etc is to put the screws and bits in sequence into an ice tray or similar compartmented container and reverse direction when putting it back together. Worst thing I did was my son's Iphone - just to change the microphone you had to take practically everything else out. Poor design for repair. I am hoping to set up a big screen infront with photogem's detailed instructions and see where I end up.
11-14-2020, 10:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

welcome!
11-15-2020, 02:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

RobSpain - When it reached approx 630 shots - it was intermittent at first I thought I had done something wrong..but after another episode they all came out dark which is when I started the google search! Glad I landed here.
Solenoid should come in soon, will have to start clearing and cleaning some workspace.

---------- Post added 11-14-20 at 08:28 PM ----------

Photos-by-Chas - I am not 100% confident that I will be able to repair it but fortunately I have spent most of my life learning about things by taking them apart - usually when they reach their end of life or I am trying to revive them! As far as this K70 goes I felt it's in too good a state to sell for parts only or to get rid of it. Besides which it was a $1000 Canadian gift from my son! The trick I use when repairing things eg smartphones etc is to put the screws and bits in sequence into an ice tray or similar compartmented container and reverse direction when putting it back together. Worst thing I did was my son's Iphone - just to change the microphone you had to take practically everything else out. Poor design for repair. I am hoping to set up a big screen infront with photogem's detailed instructions and see where I end up.
SSDCanada 630 shots. That's crazy! Sounds like a classic case of this problem arising due to LACK OF USE. I've read in some posts that this is possible due to the solenoid becoming magnetised over time.