Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2020, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Welcome. I also have k100. Join the 6MP lovers community.

11-17-2020, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Adelaide, South Australia: Don't tell anyone how good it is, please.
Photos: Albums
Welcome: a *ist DL2 was my first, quickly followed by a K100D, that I got a couple months ago: I've been fighting with it though. the DL2 was running rings around it: Turned out the K100D had a dirty sensor and a damaged lens (all my gear is 2nd, 3rd hand old). Once I got a clean lens on it, wow: I really wanted the K100D for the Shake Reduction, but still the old style sensor.
I've been working on building panoramics with it, I learned the hard way, that it's important to import the images correctly when they're shot raw, or the output panoramic isn't very good.

Oh, if you haven't seen it, the official pentax K100D dvd is on youtube, that's worth a watch.
11-17-2020, 06:13 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
By manual mode, you mean manual focus? Or the M mode?

With the (original) Pentax DA 18-55, there is Quickshift. That means that you can turn the focus ring even while in AF, but if you depress the shutter, it will auto-focus still. It was meant to hint the focus point before AF, or adjust the focus point after AF (while half-pressing the button).

If you want to focus manually, you will have to turn the AF - MF switch to the MF position, which will retracts the AF gears from the lens, and you will be free to manual focus without AF to be in the way, if this is what your wish.

Please note that if you do get the Pentax DA 50 F1.8, this lens does not have Quickshift. That means that you won't be able to turn the focus ring while AF is engaged ; you will have to set the body to MF to be able to do that.

Manual focusing is possible with the K100D, but it won't be as smooth as it used to be with MF camera (because you don't have a split screen for easier focusing, and auto-focus lenses often have a lifeless focus ring and short throw). Newer cameras does have Focus Peaking to compensate the lack of focusing screen, but unfortunately, the K100D cannot do that (no Live View).
Thank you @bertrand3000 for the comprehensive info. Really appreciate it. I have been exploring M and AV. but noticed the AF / MF, will keep it in AF for now and see how i go later. I've not bought the 50mm yet, will look into that next year I think, once i've had a proper play around and a bit more confident with Kit etc. I have ordered a Pentax Extension Tube for macro - a friend suggested, so hope that helps, at least until I can splash out on more lenses - the right ones.

Lots to learn

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 06:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pkboy Quote
Better than our dogs, one is deathly afraid of the sound. The other always looks concerned when I aim my lens at him
They are funny aren't they. I had a jack russell years ago you could never get a picture of as he was like a rocket. Jack is my partners dog, he is not one for decent training, so he won't sit for a picture. Fenrir I rehomed 16 months ago and he's a poser for sure. This camera won't capture him in action I don't think. He loves water and jumping high for a ball etc.

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 06:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
Welcome. I also have k100. Join the 6MP lovers community.
I will do thanks.

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 06:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aussie Matt Quote
Welcome: a *ist DL2 was my first, quickly followed by a K100D, that I got a couple months ago: I've been fighting with it though. the DL2 was running rings around it: Turned out the K100D had a dirty sensor and a damaged lens (all my gear is 2nd, 3rd hand old). Once I got a clean lens on it, wow: I really wanted the K100D for the Shake Reduction, but still the old style sensor.
I've been working on building panoramics with it, I learned the hard way, that it's important to import the images correctly when they're shot raw, or the output panoramic isn't very good.

Oh, if you haven't seen it, the official pentax K100D dvd is on youtube, that's worth a watch.
Glad you got it sorted - this is an oxfam / ebay listing. No way I could afford a current day model, so went for something 'preloved'. It seems really clean. I think i need better batteries, and a better charger (am using rechargeables).

I'll be looking out for your panoramic advice in time. and how to import Raw, I've never used proper photo processing software. so another area to learn. The most I've used is a phone version call Snapseed, and instagram.
11-17-2020, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Porffor Quote
Thanks for the lens tip for the 50mm Bertrand will have a look and keep to pentax. Will be handy to have one lense for dog walking shots. We have lovely areas but not necessarily able to stop and change etc.
First of all, hello from Lancaster now, take your time there are so many things to try that it can be overwhelming. Use the 18-55mm while you get use to the camera. It is classed as one of the better basic kit lenses. Sticking with the one lens for now will help you to concentrate on settings and all the other stuff you want to get on top of. Shooting with a prime is an excellent next step and helps you to compose because you can't avoid doing it properly but there is no need to rush. My first AF prime was the plastic 35mm f2.4. 35mm gives you an equivalent field of view to a standard lens on a film camera and it is a nice, walk around focal length. 50mm can be a bit long on APSC. The best way to see what focal length you prefer is to set your 18-55mm at a focal length and don't touch it while you take a few shots. Widely available (& inexpensive) focal lengths are 24/28/35/40 & 50mm. 35mm is my favourite by far. Remember, don't try to do everything at once, and dog photos are always good

11-17-2020, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome,
I still have a few K100D images hanging around.

Looking back, I have images taken with my Sigma 70-300 on it and my feeling now is I wish I'd used a sharper lens. But the landscapes and more standard images are still good.
From 2008 (Slate Islands, woodland Caribou)
11-17-2020, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
First of all, hello from Lancaster now, take your time there are so many things to try that it can be overwhelming. Use the 18-55mm while you get use to the camera. It is classed as one of the better basic kit lenses. Sticking with the one lens for now will help you to concentrate on settings and all the other stuff you want to get on top of. Shooting with a prime is an excellent next step and helps you to compose because you can't avoid doing it properly but there is no need to rush. My first AF prime was the plastic 35mm f2.4. 35mm gives you an equivalent field of view to a standard lens on a film camera and it is a nice, walk around focal length. 50mm can be a bit long on APSC. The best way to see what focal length you prefer is to set your 18-55mm at a focal length and don't touch it while you take a few shots. Widely available (& inexpensive) focal lengths are 24/28/35/40 & 50mm. 35mm is my favourite by far. Remember, don't try to do everything at once, and dog photos are always good
Thanks - I am trying to give myself the chance to get used to the settings and if it ever stops raining to get out and about. We are lucky to live by the sea, ponds, woodlands and the wildlife that comes with the habitat.

Will keep to the kit lens for a while then, and get to know it properly. I've popped AF back on for now, and sticking to AV as I like a low aperture. I have also been looking at the 0 range in the viewfinder, to help me balance things up correctly for now. Make sure I'm doing things the way they should be before I tweak anything.

@normhead that is an amazing sight / Picture - you must have been thrilled. I would be.

PIc from the garden today-
11-17-2020, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
@normhead that is an amazing sight / Picture - you must have been thrilled. I would be.
We actually went to the Slate Islands because it's the furthest place south where you can count on seeing and photographing Woodland Caribou. So it was great to get some good images.

11-17-2020, 08:20 AM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We actually went to the Slate Islands because it's the furthest place south where you can count on seeing and photographing Woodland Caribou. So it was great to get some good images.
Definitely worth the trip. Truly stunning.
11-17-2020, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I started DSLR photography (had experience with film previously) with a 6MP *istD several years ago and it was a good camera for starting out, or for getting many memories. Shoot often, post here and in other fora and ask for help, advice and guidance to learn.
11-17-2020, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

Thank you @bertrand3000 for the comprehensive info. Really appreciate it. I have been exploring M and AV. but noticed the AF / MF, will keep it in AF for now and see how i go later.
Right, the M on the mode dial means Manual exposure, so you will have to set Speed, Aperture and ISO manually. On the K100D there is no Green button allowing you to meter in M mode (if I remember correctly), though, so it will be a bit more difficult than in more recent Pentax cameras. That said, if you try night photography (stars), M mode is what you need. And I can assure you -can- shoot stars with the K100D .

I've not bought the 50mm yet, will look into that next year I think
I understand. Still, lenses usually outlives camera bodies ; what I meant is if you ever buy a more recent Pentax body in the future (for example the K-70), the Pentax DA 50 F1.8 you bought for 100$ for your K100D will do wonders on that much newer body!

On the other hand, the original DA 18-55 (the lens which came with the K100D) is good enough for the K100D, but will probably be a bit too average for the K-70.

I have ordered a Pentax Extension Tube for macro - a friend suggested, so hope that helps, at least until I can splash out on more lenses - the right ones
What kind of extension tube? If you have ordered a "dumb" extension tube (by dumb, I mean an extension tube that will not spread electrical contacts, aperture lever nor autofocus from body to lens), it will be difficult to use any recent lens (i.e. without an aperture ring), like the DA 18-55 you already have, or the Pentax DA 50. Lenses with aperture rings will work with a dumb extension tube, with aperture sets to something else than A. Lenses without aperture ring will usually be set at their smallest aperture (usually F22).
11-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
What kind of extension tube? If you have ordered a "dumb" extension tube (by dumb, I mean an extension tube that will not spread electrical contacts, aperture lever nor autofocus from body to lens), it will be difficult to use any recent lens (i.e. without an aperture ring), like the DA 18-55 you already have, or the Pentax DA 50. Lenses with aperture rings will work with a dumb extension tube, with aperture sets to something else than A. Lenses without aperture ring will usually be set at their smallest aperture (usually F22).

Hmm think I have bought a dummy set. Looking at them. Not to worry. I'll stick to what I've got for now. I'll explore more when I've got to grips with it a bit better. And learn to ask questions...beforehand.

I did say I have a lot to learn and you're being very patient. Thank you.

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 11:12 AM ----------

It does say this...
Rare to find a set of actual PENTAX branded tubes.
Universal M42 screw fitting with auto iris pins in original case

But I can't post a picture off my phone.
11-17-2020, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Rare to find a set of actual PENTAX branded tubes.
Universal M42 screw fitting with auto iris pins in original case
Arg. M42 is the previous mount for Pentax (before 1975!). So you won't be able to mount it on your body unless you also add an M42 adapter (on the body), and use it with M42 lenses (lenses Takumar).

M42 is a Pentax mount but was used by most manufacturers on that era. M42 is mostly a "dumb" mount, there is no connection between body and lens.

What you need to be careful before buying something for your Pentax body is something "K mount". But on that, you are lucky, because almost every lens K mount will mount and work on your body.

Here are the different K-mount (lens side) :

K : the original mount, without electrical contact (Pentax K and Pentax M lenses) - all will work on your K100D but metering can be annoying
KA : ability to select aperture on the body (A position on the aperture ring) - all will work on your K100D without limitation
KAF : autofocus with motor in the body (with or without aperture ring) - all will work on your K100D without limitation
KAF3 : autofocus with motor in the lens - most will work on the K100D but autofocus will not work - DA(L) 18-50 RE won't work because manual focus is driven by the motor (focus-by-wire)
KAF4 : electronic aperture - won't work on the K100D (for example the DA 55-300 PLM)

Stay far from KR lenses, they can mount but will get stuck. They can be recognized with "KR" on the aperture ring and P position on the aperture ring (as opposed to A position, which is fine).

That said, M42 lenses are often coveted. But you will need a K-to-M42 adapter for these. Genuine Pentax are by far the best, but they are not available new. M42 lens with adapter will work on your K100D without limitation (better than the Pentax K and M series since there will be no metering limitation).

Last edited by Bertrand3000; 11-17-2020 at 11:46 AM.
11-17-2020, 11:49 AM   #43

Original Poster
@bertrand3000
Lesson learned. I can use it as a cool ornament. It was only a tenner. So nothing much lost.

Will note down the info you've posted. And refer back to it. So much involved. Thanks again.
11-17-2020, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

He loves water and jumping high for a ball etc.
We've taken ours out to play with others like at the beach, was trying for some action shots and got some good ones... but of others' dogs. If he loves following the ball then that offers lots of good opportunities to do action and portraits (with your partner's help!) Then you get to learn more about the effects of aperture (f-stops), shutter speed, and ISO, on action and stills.
11-18-2020, 01:30 AM   #45

Original Poster
@pkboy great to hear it'll still get decent moving pictures. I had read it wasn't much good for sports etc. I'll have to try and see what I get.
« New forum user | Hi »