Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-17-2020, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #1

Hello from new KP owner in canada

After a long lapse from the hobby with oly film im back with enthusiasm for learning digital, although basics still similar. Picked up a kp 3-4 weeks ago with 18-135 and am thrilled.
I recently retired and gave up on my long fishkeeping hobby due to maintenance requirements and my wish to travel more (on hold now though)and renewed my interests in audio and photography.
I purchased the kp e-book and it has been a terrific resource, complementing the manual which is like watching paint dry.
Appreciate the site and contributors, great resource.

11-17-2020, 06:26 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pardalis Quote
After a long lapse from the hobby with oly film im back with enthusiasm for learning digital, although basics still similar. Picked up a kp 3-4 weeks ago with 18-135 and am thrilled.
I recently retired and gave up on my long fishkeeping hobby due to maintenance requirements and my wish to travel more (on hold now though)and renewed my interests in audio and photography.
I purchased the kp e-book and it has been a terrific resource, complementing the manual which is like watching paint dry.
Appreciate the site and contributors, great resource.
I've been eyeing the KP. Reminds me of my old MX film camera that I should have never got rid of. Hope you are enjoying it. Welcome from sunny Florida.
11-17-2020, 06:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from a fellow canadian
11-17-2020, 06:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums! The KP will feel even better (so I am told) when you pair it with a small prime (or two or three...), as it was made quite compact to handle well with primes, the Limited especially.

Enjoy!

11-17-2020, 06:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from the North of the UK. The KP is extremely well represented amongst PF members, that speaks volumes. You will love the autofocus and image quality. Look into vintage glass. With the focus peaking on the KP you can get fabulously sharp images that are full of character, from a lens that cost you $20. Don't be afraid to search for stuff on here, there is a ton of info. Also, have a look at the thread on Jpeg colour settings, that's fun

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 06:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Welcome to the forums! The KP will feel even better (so I am told) when you pair it with a small prime (or two or three...), as it was made quite compact to handle well with primes, the Limited especially.

Enjoy!
The grips on the KP are geared towards different uses. The smallest gives it a film camera feel, the medium is brilliant with limited primes (your next step, they are stellar) and the larger grip for bigger zooms. Also, getting a battery grip is a great addition
11-17-2020, 06:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Welcome from the North of the UK. The KP is extremely well represented amongst PF members, that speaks volumes. You will love the autofocus and image quality. Look into vintage glass. With the focus peaking on the KP you can get fabulously sharp images that are full of character, from a lens that cost you $20. Don't be afraid to search for stuff on here, there is a ton of info. Also, have a look at the thread on Jpeg colour settings, that's fun

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 06:48 AM ----------

The grips on the KP are geared towards different uses. The smallest gives it a film camera feel, the medium is brilliant with limited primes (your next step, they are stellar) and the larger grip for bigger zooms. Also, getting a battery grip is a great addition
Yes I agree, lots of info available - in addition to the e-book, articles like the KP review that had suggested / recommended settings was helpful starting out.
11-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hello from new KP owner in canada

Welcome from another KP owner. Pick your grip, grab any glass and enjoy.
With some lenses and the SR you will be shocked and amazed at the cameras capabilities

Hang up and DRIVE!

Last edited by MikeMcE; 11-17-2020 at 10:27 AM.
11-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from Virginia! Fellow KP owner. Enjoy the camera, it's incredibly versatile. By changing the settings, user presents, and body and camera grips it's like having multiple cameras in one. I have a black body, and considering adding a second, maybe in silver...
11-17-2020, 09:22 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your photography the Pentax way
11-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pardalis Quote
Yes I agree, lots of info available - in addition to the e-book, articles like the KP review that had suggested / recommended settings was helpful starting out.
Have a look for a Pentax review by Mattias burling. He gives one or two ideas. In Av I have my rear dial as iso, front is exposure comp and top is iso. My top dial is iso, exposure compensation and peaking
11-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome to the Forum from the wilds of Algonquin Park, On.
11-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Welcome from Ontario!
11-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Welcome from the UK. I have just joined the forum too. The KP is quite a clever design. In your hand it feels quite similar to the old film cameras (my first Pentax was a Spotmatic F). It even looks a bit like that old camera from front. Only had mine for 2 days so still trying to get used to the controls. I have one of the user settings for high quality (taking shots for the camera club meetings) and one for lower quality jpegs when I just want to snap away without having to process them too much before viewing. I look forward to posting some of my efforts soon.
11-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #14
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums from Australia. At least by the time you get to travel you will probably have fully mastered your KP. It is a very capable camera.
11-17-2020, 02:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from another KP owner in North Carolina US.