Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2020, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Hello all - I am a total neophyte to photography

Hello All,

Thank you for letting me join this forum. I am very much an absolute beginner when it come to photography. I hope to learn a lot here, and after I learn a little here I hope I can help others a little too.

My camera is a Pentax K-1000. I inherited it from my mom about 15 years ago but it has only been in the past few months that I have begun to take photos with it. I went to a camera repair shop to ask questions about it, and it seems it has the original budget lens with it. SMC Pentax-A 1:2 50mm. That was very much my mom's style - she was born in 1933 and came from a generation that was all about prudence and saving.

I'm really not to sure what else to say. I just thought I should say "hi" and let everyone know what kind of equipment I use a a little history.

Oh, I do have one question for the forum. I've done searches for my camera, a Pentax K-1000, when doing searches on this site. But, I never get a return on a K-1000. Is that not it's actual name? Is there another name for it that I don't know about?

Thank you in advance!

Kintsugi Haikyo

11-20-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kintsugi_Haikyo Quote
Oh, I do have one question for the forum. I've done searches for my camera, a Pentax K-1000, when doing searches on this site. But, I never get a return on a K-1000. Is that not it's actual name? Is there another name for it that I don't know about?
Indeed, there is no K-1000. There's the K1000 through:

Pentax K1000 - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Hyphens didn't really start being used until the AF era, and now they're quite common on DSLRs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kintsugi_Haikyo Quote
Hello All,

Thank you for letting me join this forum. I am very much an absolute beginner when it come to photography. I hope to learn a lot here, and after I learn a little here I hope I can help others a little too.

My camera is a Pentax K-1000. I inherited it from my mom about 15 years ago but it has only been in the past few months that I have begun to take photos with it. I went to a camera repair shop to ask questions about it, and it seems it has the original budget lens with it. SMC Pentax-A 1:2 50mm. That was very much my mom's style - she was born in 1933 and came from a generation that was all about prudence and saving.

I'm really not to sure what else to say. I just thought I should say "hi" and let everyone know what kind of equipment I use a a little history.

Thank you in advance!

Kintsugi Haikyo
Welcome to the forum. make yourself at home!
11-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome aboard!
Yokoso!

11-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #5

welcome from canada - you've come to a great place to learn/read/talk about photography.
11-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome
11-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums.
If you haven't seen them yet there are dedicated film and SLR sections:
Pentax Film SLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com
Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom - PentaxForums.com

11-20-2020, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Hi Kintsugi, how are you getting on with your K1000? The great thing about these cameras is that you only need to know 2 things. How the aperture and shutter speed affects the image. Once you get a feel for those you should start getting some great photos. Some of my favourite ever pictures were taken on an old spotmatic F (basically a screw fit version of the K1000) and a 50mm lens.
11-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums. I also have a Pentax K1000. It is a very dependable and well built film camera. It was my first slr camera (film).

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-21-2020 at 02:26 PM.
11-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

I suggest you start looking at some of the information found under the " articles "

check this section of the forums to find information on your camera lens:

QuoteQuote:
About the SMC Pentax-A Series
The lenses below have fixed focal lengths and can be used with both Film and Digital Pentax SLRs. They cover the full-frame 24x36mm image circle.
Manual-focus
Auto-aperture (aperture ring available)
Film & Digital
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-Lenses-c28.html#ixzz6eNtnAoaV

and remember

have fun with your photography

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-20-2020 at 05:25 PM.
11-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Kintsugi

The K1000 is a great camera to learn photography on. I'd suggest you write down the settings you use on each shot so when you get the film developed you can learn what you do to make the shot better if it doesn't come out the way you wanted.
11-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your photography experience. !
11-20-2020, 05:53 PM   #13

Welcome to the forum from Berlin!
11-20-2020, 09:09 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, explore the forum, there is a lot here. Try some of the challenges to learn and have fun.
11-20-2020, 11:47 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! I have a K1000 as well and it is a purist camera that has only what you need and nothing you don't. Film has been running a bit pricier due to high demand during the pandemic, but hopefully you can still afford to shoot through a few rolls and learn.
The 50mm is the basic lens it came with- there are a few very solid lenses to be had for not a lot of cash in the Pentax-M series you should check out once you become acquainted with the camera.