Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

KP Guide

Hi
I'm new here as a member, tho a some times lurker. I'm mostly inactive on forums. That's how it is I'm afraid, tho I always appreciate that other contributors do a lot to help folks like myself. Anyway ...I recently purchased the KP and thought someone must've produced a decent guidebook to accompany the manual. I didn't find anything until today when I saw Yvon Bourque's Pentax KP guidebook - Everything You Need To Know & Then Some.

Is anyone familiar with it and is it worth having - meaning to say will it get me into the camera more quickly, deeper etc. Or is it a repackage of the Pentax manual. I've had mixed experience with some user guidebooks in the past. Some really are great and others less so.

Many thanks

12-01-2020, 04:59 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Banned

No they are not anywhere close to the manual reprint or rewording. The are very in depth and exhaustively researched. The delve deep into menu functionality and utilization.using both text and color photos. There are large and comprehensive manuals and worth every penny and then some. I can't stress enough hat they are the very highest source of info on all the Pentax cameras. Yvon (RIP) shot with and knew the cameras well.
12-01-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 to what @Hawkfan said.
12-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by recklessdiffraction Quote
Some really are great and others less so.
Yvon Bourque's Pentax KP guidebook - Everything You Need To Know & Then Some falls into the " really great " category.......

12-01-2020, 05:14 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You should buy it, Reeflessdiffraction!

Even better, you could consider membership as a supporter of this site, and that entitles you to one of the late Yvon's downloads.
12-01-2020, 05:20 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

any of his books are worth the price $19.00 I think or

QuoteQuote:
PF Cyber Monday Loyal Site Supporter Upgrade Special - 2020Report Post
Posted By: Adam, 11-21-20, 00:19 (Online)
The PF "Black Friday" / Holiday Special Loyal Site Supporter upgrade is back! Your donations are what makes it possible for us to continue posting in-depth reviews, visit and report on trade shows (once they resume!), expand our news coverage, maintain lens databases and resources, and add new site features. This special will be available from November 21st through December 31st, 2020.

For a $59 contribution to PF,
your account will be upgraded to include:
Loyal Site Supporter designation with highlighter username
Unlimited attachment space on the forum
Unlimited Pentax Forums marketplace access for personal & commercial sales
New for 2020 - 30% discount on all PF T-shirts
Free Pentax DSLR eBook each year (now updated for the K-1 II)*
Attach photos in PMs
Space for 10,000 photos in the albums & 500 photos in the gallery
Images in signatures
10,000 PM inbox
Custom user title
No banner ads
Access to member-only forum content & special T-shirt deals . . .

Read more at: PF Cyber Monday Loyal Site Supporter Upgrade Special - 2020 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-01-2020 at 05:36 PM.
12-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #7

Welcome but also a newbie

12-01-2020, 09:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought the k50 and k-3 guides for my dad. He loved them.
12-02-2020, 03:34 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland
12-02-2020, 04:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just get it. You won't be disappointed.

I keep all of mine in the book section of my phone. Along with pdf's of the original owners manuals. They've saved me on at least 3 different occasions!
12-02-2020, 02:58 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh wow. I go out to work. come back. log in and here's all these replies. thank you so much. I did think anyone writing so many camera specific Pentax specific guide books is unlikely to be publishing rubbish. but good to know he has the community endorsement. sorry to see he has passed.

I may well take out a site membership, if I can get my head round the offer. but in the meantime I'll look to getting the KP guide and cracking on with that. thanks again to y'all that took time to help me out. Cheers!
12-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by recklessdiffraction Quote
Oh wow. I go out to work. come back. log in and here's all these replies. thank you so much. I did think anyone writing so many camera specific Pentax specific guide books is unlikely to be publishing rubbish. but good to know he has the community endorsement. sorry to see he has passed.

I may well take out a site membership, if I can get my head round the offer. but in the meantime I'll look to getting the KP guide and cracking on with that. thanks again to y'all that took time to help me out. Cheers!
If you're looking for the standalone ebooks, they can be purchased from this page and are instantly sent to you via PM:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/donations/?ebooks=1&loginrequired=1#sub18

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-03-2020, 01:59 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you're looking for the standalone ebooks, they can be purchased from this page and are instantly sent to you via PM:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/donations/?ebooks=1&loginrequired=1#sub18
Ah excellent thank you. What a great website and forum! With Pentax having slid off into the corner of non-mirrorless and therefore no longer on the radar of many new photographers, I'd say this website is as good a promotion as anything Pentax do.
12-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve missed something. When did Yvon pass?
12-03-2020, 11:10 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’ve missed something. When did Yvon pass?
per Adam

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
02-08-20, 18:13 -

I'm very sorry to say that I've learned that our well-liked Pentax eBook author, Yvon Bourque, passed away in late January. There has not yet been a memorial service, so I plan to sent flowers on behalf of the forum once I learn more.

Please feel free to share your thoughts in this thread and I will forward them to Yvon's family.

In the mean time, the eBooks will remain available and Yvon's family would like to carry on his legacy.
« Hello! | Hi »