Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #1

Which secondhand Pentax camera for a beginner.

Looking at taking photos with a DSLR , not sure which Pentax camera I should start off with. Looking at a used camera.

12-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forum.

I'd go for a K-5ii. Or K-3ii.
12-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, there’s lots of information here to help you decide.
12-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Rome Italy

12-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #5

Depends on your budget. I have a K1ii and a K5iis. I love both!
12-07-2020, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

From my signature you can see I am biased towards the k-5iis, but the k3 ii would be the camera I would aim for. The dual card slots, onboard gps, plm lens support and faster frame capture all point to it being a system that can grow with you as your skills evolve. The current prices for the k3 and k3ii on the used market make them a great option.
12-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

c634, second hand is a good idea, and there's value in what was once a top of the line camera like the K-5 or K-3 for their durability - their shutter and aperture mechanisms are much more robust than the tempting K-30, K-50, etc.

Absolutely nothing wrong with starting with the cheap 18-55 kit lens on it.

12-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll vote the K3 II as well (or original K3 if you'd rather have a pop-up flash instead of built in GPS), especially if you think you'll stick with this. It'll likely be more camera than you need to start with, but learn from my mistake. I bought a much cheaper entry level DSLR to start out with (thankfully second hand as well), and I very quickly outgrew its abilities and it left me disappointed a lot. Had I known then what I know now, I would've went with the K3 II from the start. Why? The green button! Regardless of what mode you are in, you can use that almost like an instant auto mode. Pressing it will set the parameters to what the camera thinks is ideal so you can take an ok shot instead of missing it all together because you got lost in the controls. You may not use it as you get more experienced, but it makes this a great camera for beginners that need such a "backup" function. The other cameras have it as well, but the K3 line is pretty much a workhorse.
12-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum from Arizona, I'll second Mooncatt. K3 has lots of advanced features which you may not use at first.
The e-books available on this forum are excellent tools to advance your skills and understand the capabilities of your camera.
12-07-2020, 06:00 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

as well as a lot of opinions on how you should spend your money on equipment

normally for someone looking for " experienced " equipment I advise looking at the forums market place" buy/sell "

it can be sorted by country

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (Australia) - PentaxForums.com

but some countries don't have a lot to offer

your budget is very important to get good advice

also what are your photographic interests

be sure to check out the reviews under " cameras " above

and this tool is very helpful as well

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-5 IIs - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

by the way, if you post 6 times in a day, you can get a raffle ticket for a contest, top prize is the K P

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Welcome to our surprise Pentax KP raffle!

Each day in from December 7th through December 26th, you can claim one raffle entry, for a maximum of 20 per member.

To claim your daily raffle entry, simply post a reply in this thread each day you want to enter. You first will need to have at least 6 other forum posts on any day you wish to enter. It's as simple as that!

On December 27th, in addition to randomly drawing one grand prize (Pentax KP) winner, we will also draw 3 runners-up who will win their choice of a Pentax Forums T-shirt.

Restrictions:
  • this raffle is open to all forum members worldwide
  • winners of PF camera raffles from 2017 and onward are not eligible for the grand prize, but can still win the T-shirt prizes
  • all contest times are in GMT
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5146347

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-07-2020 at 06:27 PM.
12-07-2020, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go for the newest one you can afford. They are all good, you can learn on any of them. Obviously there are different features on each camera, but again, they are all capable. The camera comparison tool will show you differences, but in my view you should always get the newest tech you can afford, especially if you are already buying used. And if you are buying used, be careful, get the shutter count, make sure you can return it if it's faulty.
12-07-2020, 09:16 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
welcome to the forum.

I'd go for a K-5ii. Or K-3ii.
thank you
12-07-2020, 09:17 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, there’s lots of information here to help you decide.
thank you
12-07-2020, 09:19 PM - 2 Likes   #14

Original Poster
looks like the k3 is the way to go
thanks everyone
12-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #15
Forum Member

When I moved from film to digital I purchased a used Pentax K20D in 2010. I'm still shooting with it about 10 years later.