Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Another welcome from " the colonies."

12-16-2020, 08:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarshallFox Quote
Hello everyone!

I am a Nikon user currently, in Devon - UK. I've always been looking to get a Pentax but haven't ever been able to decide on one; but I think the time may have come. I tend to shoot a lot of 6-12mp cameras in my downtime, as I enjoy CCD a lot. I have 20+mp bodies but for me personally I like having an older, manual setup with no AF and the idea of in body stabilisation and whatnot is very attractive.

I mostly shoot landscapes, cars and motorcycles, and pets. (Including horses and the like).

So yeah! I look forward to becoming part of the community; plus I've missed a good ol' forum.
Hello, and welcome to the forums, great info on here and no lack of willingness to help!

Cheers, and enjoy your search for a Pentax camera!
12-17-2020, 03:49 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum and good luck with your purchase!
12-17-2020, 06:26 AM   #19
Pentaxian

plus I've missed a good ol' forum.
The forum here is fantastic, or rather the people are fantastic.

12-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Welcome, hope you find what you're looking for!
12-17-2020, 07:28 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Welcome! The West Country is a beautiful part of the world. My ancestry is largely from Cornwall and Devon.

The K10D is a superb choice for your needs. The CCD sensor gives lovely colours, and at base ISO the image quality is superb. The rugged, weather sealed body will be very handy for your landscape work.

The Pentax adaptor K for M42 lenses is definitely the one to get. It is made to much higher tolerances than the third party knock-offs. It is still widely available new.
Ah, very nice! It's a lovely place for landscape shots for sure; I very much enjoy it here. Small world!

I think with the amount of advice in favour of the M42 adaptor I will be swiftly making that purchase Love using all manual lenses anyway.

Here is a couple of photos taken recently on Dartmoor national park (Rippon Tor):

Again thank-you all for the amount of advice and interest; I already feel very welcome and am excited for my K10D to arrive! Should be great fun.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D7100  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D7100  Photo 
12-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums!

12-17-2020, 11:18 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
12-17-2020, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sent you a P.M.
12-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome! Forums are still the best for photography-related stuff, especially if you avoid the contentious ones and stick with the good ones
12-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Hello and welcome to Pentax Forums!! Take time to explore the site. You will find a wealth of information in the articles and reviews, plus a huge amount of collective knowledge among all of the members. Post a thread for advice, search the articles for in depth information, or post pix in a “Lens Club” to celebrate your work and share it with others. Most of all, enjoy your photography
12-19-2020, 07:06 PM   #27
Pentaxian

This is a great idea, there's a million M42 lenses out there at great prices. Where do you find the adaptor? I assume Pentax no longer sell it direct? I don't want to buy a cheapo and lose infinity, or damage it.

I'm glad that I made the right call on the K10D then; from the reviews it sounded s solid purchase
That is my assessment was well - the K10D is on my list of things to try. Fortunately, it sold quite well, so there should be plenty to go around. Welcome to the forum!

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 07:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Welcome! The Pentax adaptor K for M42 lenses is definitely the one to get. It is made to much higher tolerances than the third party knock-offs. It is still widely available new.
I've had both, and the claims that I'd read that there were vast external differences, and the third party one would not allow infinity focus seemed unfounded. The only genuine Pentax ones I could find at that timecost an extraordinary amount of money - about four times what the generic ones were.

When I had both in hand and compared them, I could see no differences at all. And, true enough, both adapters fitted snugly with the body. The lens I needed the adapter for could not achieve infinity focus on either variant - Pentax genuine or generic, and the amount it was off by was the same on both.

I'm generally happy to give a little bit extra for a genuine OEM version of something, but given the price differential, it seems well worth trying to find a third party one and checking for how it fits on the body. You'll only have a problem if it sticks out a little too far as older lenses usually are capable of focusing beyond infinity to compensate for slight manufacturing variation. My case was an apparently rare exception to that rule.
12-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello everyone!

I am a Nikon user currently, in Devon - UK. I've always been looking to get a Pentax but haven't ever been able to decide on one; but I think the time may have come. I tend to shoot a lot of 6-12mp cameras in my downtime, as I enjoy CCD a lot. I have 20+mp bodies but for me personally I like having an older, manual setup with no AF and the idea of in body stabilisation and whatnot is very attractive.

I mostly shoot landscapes, cars and motorcycles, and pets. (Including horses and the like).

So yeah! I look forward to becoming part of the community; plus I've missed a good ol' forum.
We welcome photographers from the "dark side" and we do encourage use of Pentax gear. All kidding aside, this is a good place to communicate, learn, teach, and just have fun with photography.
12-20-2020, 07:44 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum, thanks or helping me get enough posts to enter the K-P contest