Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2020, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #1

Not a Pentax owner... Yet!

Hello everyone!

I am a Nikon user currently, in Devon - UK. I've always been looking to get a Pentax but haven't ever been able to decide on one; but I think the time may have come. I tend to shoot a lot of 6-12mp cameras in my downtime, as I enjoy CCD a lot. I have 20+mp bodies but for me personally I like having an older, manual setup with no AF and the idea of in body stabilisation and whatnot is very attractive.

I mostly shoot landscapes, cars and motorcycles, and pets. (Including horses and the like).

So yeah! I look forward to becoming part of the community; plus I've missed a good ol' forum.

12-16-2020, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarshallFox Quote
Hello everyone!

I am a Nikon user currently, in Devon - UK. I've always been looking to get a Pentax but haven't ever been able to decide on one; but I think the time may have come. I tend to shoot a lot of 6-12mp cameras in my downtime, as I enjoy CCD a lot. I have 20+mp bodies but for me personally I like having an older, manual setup with no AF and the idea of in body stabilisation and whatnot is very attractive.

I mostly shoot landscapes, cars and motorcycles, and pets. (Including horses and the like).

So yeah! I look forward to becoming part of the community; plus I've missed a good ol' forum.
Welcome, MarshallFox! May I recommend that you find yourself a used 645D with its CCD sensor, and grab some of the excellent legacy 645 (and even 6x7) lenses that are available dirt cheap. I think you'd find this a very welcome addition to your current setups.
12-16-2020, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland.
12-16-2020, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

. . . I tend to shoot a lot of 6-12mp cameras in my downtime, as I enjoy CCD a lot . . .
this thread might be of interest:

QuoteQuote:
The CCD Sensor Cult. I mean Club...
Not too many people shoot them anymore, as no one's making them at this point... but the CCD sensor cameras have a loyal following (some would say obsession) from its fans (crazy? luddites?).

If you love the images you get from your CCD sensor camera, be it a tiny point and shoot or a giant sensor 645D or even a full medium format back, post here and wax poetic about the virtues of a technology that was replaced by a lower cost, video-friendly alternative (CMOS)...
Read more at: The CCD Sensor Cult. I mean Club... - Page 26 - PentaxForums.com

I am awaiting delivery of an " experienced " K 10 D

you can find reviews of various Pentax Cameras under " Cameras " above

12-16-2020, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome from South Africa. I hope you find the right Pentax model for your purposes soon!
Best.
12-16-2020, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums. There is a whole lot of knowledge here.
12-16-2020, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Hello everyone!

So, community is a main driver to step in?

12-16-2020, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Greetings from Greece! The best thing about the forum is that it is an active one. It’s also nice that it doesn’t tend to be very tech and marketplace oriented , to a point where you miss the sense of community.
12-16-2020, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
So, community is a main driver to step in?

In part, it's nice to be able to discuss something you love with like-minded individuals, and get inspiration. Plus on body stabilization, years of lenses to pick from, there's a ton of reasons really.

Thank-you all for the nice words! Funnily enough, I just won a K10D on eBay for £120 with 1,000 shutter actuations. Excited!!
12-16-2020, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In part, it's nice to be able to discuss something you love with like-minded individuals, and get inspiration. Plus on body stabilization, years of lenses to pick from, there's a ton of reasons really.

Thank-you all for the nice words! Funnily enough, I just won a K10D on eBay for £120 with 1,000 shutter actuations. Excited!!
That's a great camera. I broke mine beyond repair, and picked up a used K-3 to replace it. I tend to let others lose the depreciation. When it comes to lenses, you can increase the variety you can use with a GENUINE Pentax Mount adapter K. It allows you to screw the M42 lenses into the mount. I prefer presets for the rapid stop down with a flick of the finger, but the auto Takumars merely need a switch to manual after you have focused and framed to get to the f/stop you have selected. Press the green button on your K10D and it will set the shutter speed. If you look on the forum for the adapter review in the database you will find that the Pentax one is by far the best despite the somewhat higher price.
12-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That's a great camera. I broke mine beyond repair, and picked up a used K-3 to replace it. I tend to let others lose the depreciation. When it comes to lenses, you can increase the variety you can use with a GENUINE Pentax Mount adapter K. It allows you to screw the M42 lenses into the mount. I prefer presets for the rapid stop down with a flick of the finger, but the auto Takumars merely need a switch to manual after you have focused and framed to get to the f/stop you have selected. Press the green button on your K10D and it will set the shutter speed. If you look on the forum for the adapter review in the database you will find that the Pentax one is by far the best despite the somewhat higher price.
This is a great idea, there's a million M42 lenses out there at great prices. Where do you find the adaptor? I assume Pentax no longer sell it direct? I don't want to buy a cheapo and lose infinity, or damage it.

I'm glad that I made the right call on the K10D then; from the reviews it sounded s solid purchase
12-16-2020, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
12-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a great idea, there's a million M42 lenses out there at great prices. Where do you find the adaptor? I assume Pentax no longer sell it direct? I don't want to buy a cheapo and lose infinity, or damage it.

I'm glad that I made the right call on the K10D then; from the reviews it sounded s solid purchase
Welocome, and congrats on the K-10! Pentax does indeed still make the adapter K, it's very pricy new, but you may be able to find a used on in an auction. I haven't looked in a while to see if any are on ebay or anywhere. There are a lot of third party adapters, personally I would stay away from any that need a tool to remove, Ive read bad things about them. Some members here can probably tell you what the good third party ones are, or chck the accessories review section.
12-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
. . . Pentax does indeed still make the adapter K, . . .
QuoteQuote:
Pentax Mount Adapter K (M42 Screwmount to K Mount)

Read more at: Pentax Mount Adapter K (M42 Screwmount to K Mount) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

QuoteQuote:
FotodioX Pro M645-PK-PRO (Lens Mount Adapter Mamiya M645 to Pentax K Mount)

Read more at: FotodioX Pro M645-PK-PRO (Lens Mount Adapter Mamiya M645 to Pentax K Mount) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

QuoteQuote:
Kipon M42 to PK adapter
Kipon M42 to PK adapter reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
12-16-2020, 07:05 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! The West Country is a beautiful part of the world. My ancestry is largely from Cornwall and Devon.

The K10D is a superb choice for your needs. The CCD sensor gives lovely colours, and at base ISO the image quality is superb. The rugged, weather sealed body will be very handy for your landscape work.

The Pentax adaptor K for M42 lenses is definitely the one to get. It is made to much higher tolerances than the third party knock-offs. It is still widely available new.