Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2020, 12:14 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Better late than never!

Hello, and greetings from the Smokies!! I know it is a little late for “introductions”, but I am a bit shy and by default not a joiner, so, since I have not been laughed off of the Forum, I guess everyone at least can tolerate me!!
I will try to be brief. Here is a little history:
I have enjoyed taking pictures all my life, but was mystified by actual “photography”. I thought you had to have a degree in rocket science to be a “photographer” and to understand what ISO 400, 1/250, f 2.8 means!! After my Canon P&S 35mm died in 2015 I was finally ready to “go digital”. I bought a Canon superzoom and checked out a book at the library on digital photography. When the book told me to switch my camera to Av, I looked down, turned the dial to Av, and it has been all downhill from there!
I quickly learned that I REALLY wanted a DSLR and, having an old Spotmatic F sitting around, I curiously looked into Pentax. What I found was: weather sealing, dual control wheels, glass pentaprism, and IBIS! I liked it and set about saving up for a K-S2. Nine months later I had the K-S2!!
Unfortunately, the K-S2 developed ABF in March of this year, so in June I bought a KP, which I really enjoy! I shoot mostly family photos, and pictures of nature while I am out hiking in the Great Smoky Mtns. National Park, or while out walking the dog.
So far I have gotten lots of great advice here on the Forums, and really learned a lot. I hope to be here for a long time, and to learn from everyone’s photos and experiences. I put several photos of mine in the Gallery and have some on my posts. I am no pro, I just enjoy the moment of capture, finding and setting up a shot, and the challenge of learning the art of photography! My kit includes: Pentax KP body, Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm f3.5-5.6, Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f4-5.8, Pentax SMC DA 50mm f1.8, Pentax SMC DA 35mm f2.4, and a Canon 500D close-up filter. Thank you!

12-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What a nice (belated) introduction, to which I offer a similarly-belated but sincere welcome!

I may not know a lot, but a lot of what I know was learned from these forums and some wonderful fellow members. It's quite the community, and can always use another like-minded individual such as yourself
12-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #3

Hello from another North Carolina KP shooter! Hope you got some nice shots during the fall colors over there in the mountains.
12-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard. The Smokies are one of my favorite areas to visit, you certainly live in a great area with many photo opportunities. You made a smart choice with Pentax. Looking forward to seeing some of your work

12-17-2020, 12:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I am out hiking in the Great Smoky Mtns. National Park
Welcome. Beautiful place to have so nearby. I look forward to seeing your pictures!
12-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland.
12-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.

12-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the introduction. It doesn’t seem quite appropriate to say welcome, considering you’ve been posting for a while now (didn’t anyone spot your first post as such, and say “welcome”, then?), but of course you are welcome.
12-17-2020, 04:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Thanks for the introduction. It doesn’t seem quite appropriate to say welcome, considering you’ve been posting for a while now (didn’t anyone spot your first post as such, and say “welcome”, then?), but of course you are welcome.
Yes, I got a couple "welcomes", but this is more formal!! Thank you for the welcome!
12-17-2020, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
What a nice (belated) introduction, to which I offer a similarly-belated but sincere welcome!

I may not know a lot, but a lot of what I know was learned from these forums and some wonderful fellow members. It's quite the community, and can always use another like-minded individual such as yourself
Thank you for the reply! In these contentious and stressful times it is nice to go somewhere with "like minded people" where we can just talk about what we enjoy and what brings us happiness and relaxation. Thank you all for being a nice safe place to visit!!
12-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.
12-17-2020, 08:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi from Colorado, and glad you are enjoying your "mountains" 😉
I hope to do some autumn shooting there someday.
12-18-2020, 05:35 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
Hi from Colorado, and glad you are enjoying your "mountains"
My brother came out from Colorado and made a similar remark when I took him to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
12-21-2020, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
Hi from Colorado, and glad you are enjoying your "mountains" 😉
I hope to do some autumn shooting there someday.
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
My brother came out from Colorado and made a similar remark when I took him to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
I know, I know! 6643’ is not much compared to your 14ers, but our 80-90+” of rain each year gives us lush, thick forests and lots of springs, creeks, and waterfalls!:
12-21-2020, 05:21 PM   #15

Welcome to the group