Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2020, 01:35 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pkboy Quote
For lenses that lack the aperture ring, you can adjust the aperture with the back dial but it's best to refer to the manual.

On manual lenses that have the aperture ring, you'd have to do it manually.

As for ISO, check the manual but for the K-3, you press the ISO button, then the ISO will have an indicator beside it, then turn the back dial (the one facing you) left/right to adjust. By default it goes up and down by full stops, there is a setting where you can change it to go up by 1/2 and 1/3 stops, I forget where exactly but the manual should have it.

The shutter speed for the k-3 is turning the front dial (one away from you), but again, the manual would know best. In short, check the manual
Hi

In the single in challenge and the daily in challenge, you commit to posting an image per day for a calendar month. The single in you can only use one lens for the whole month whereas the daily in you can use anything. You will find them in the challenges section

12-24-2020, 04:06 AM   #17

It would be interesting to try both your K20D & K-5ii in low light to see how improved the ISO is.
12-24-2020, 04:40 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kbSR1 Quote
I used AV mode and adjusted with EC. I run into difficulty when the subject is in shadows, and I cannot compensate.
As wonderful as Av mode is, and I use it all the time, but in tricky lighting scenes, try TAV,(Changes the ISO to match your preferred TV and Av) or Manual (use the ISO button on top of the K-5 and rear dial to change ISO). You could try the in-camera HDR as well, I think the k-5 delivers good results without looking overprocessed.
I have seen some cameras on youtube that show ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed in the LV and let you adjust them in that view.
In the menu with the Camera icon, tab 4, scroll to "live view" , enter, slect "info overlay" and you should see all you need in Live View.
Time for more practice with full manual mode
Yes.
Not sure what you mean by the single in of daily challenges. I'm a newbie to this site.
In my Signature are link to both groups. The value of joining one or both is in the loosely held "Challenge" is to have a reason to take a picture every day and post, and in all likelihood, several people will see it and provide a reaction ranging from nodding acknowledgement, to some useful critique, to fully expressed accolades and praise. The other benefit is in participants generally gaining a better understanding of their gear at the end of the month than when they started.
12-24-2020, 07:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Hi

In the single in challenge and the daily in challenge, you commit to posting an image per day for a calendar month. The single in you can only use one lens for the whole month whereas the daily in you can use anything. You will find them in the challenges section
Quoted the wrong comment I think?

12-25-2020, 01:34 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pkboy Quote
Quoted the wrong comment I think?
Doh! Yeah, I did merry Christmas anyway
12-25-2020, 03:55 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wrong or right comment, I encourage everyone to participate in one or both challenges.
12-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Wrong or right comment, I encourage everyone to participate in one or both challenges.
I couldn't agree more although my goof and subsequent apology netted me the extra post I needed to enter the giveaway

12-25-2020, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #23
Banned

I purchased a Pentax K 20D specifically to use with my M42 lenses. I enjoy using vintage lenses and want to improve on my manual mode skills. I would love to use my D7000 Nikon but have not found an adapter that works well. So far the K 20D works well. I have been using AV mode and am learning to stop down for better exposures. I was told to full manual mode works best with vintage lenses. My shots tend to be underexposed, but as I learn exposure compensation in AV mode they have improved.

I'm seeking the answer to the following questions:
1. Should I upgrade from the K20 D for better quality photos, or is quality driven mostly by the lens?
2. Pointers for shooting in AV mode with vintage lenses.
3. What is the most important factor for shooting successfully in full manual mode?

Thanks Karl
"What is the most important factor for shooting successfully in full manual mode?"

It's between your ears.
12-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
welcome to the forum from Arizona.
12-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. Should I upgrade from the K20 D for better quality photos, or is quality driven mostly by the lens?
3. What is the most important factor for shooting successfully in full manual mode?

Thanks Karl
1) Modern camera bodies have better features, better live view, focusing etc. but the image quality from early cameras using the CCD sensor have lots of fans because of the way they render. If your lens is poor, no camera can fix that. Stick with what you have for now
2) AV mode is really easy. It automatically exposes, which is great. What you need to do though is locate your exposure lock button and expose the image based on a different part of the scene, then recompose you can also use manual mode. For that you set your iso and aperture then point at the place where you are taking exposure from and hit the green button. This exposes the shot ready for you to recompose. If you find the green button is overexposing, just dial down the exposure a bit then hit the green button.
3) time. Take your time and it will all fall into place
12-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good Evening Robgski
Thanks for the suggestions. I purchased a K-5 ii yesterday and look forward to learning how to use my collection of M42 lenses. Attached are a few shots with my K20 using a Mamiya/sekor f2 50mm or Telesar wide auto f2.8 28mm. I used AV mode and adjusted with EC. I run into difficulty when the subject is in shadows, and I cannot compensate. I have not learned how to change the ISO in these situations. I have seen some cameras on youtube that show ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed in the LV and let you adjust them in that view. What models do that? I would appreciate your review and recommendations. - Karl
Those are some very nice photos you posted. I enjoyed perusing them. Thank you for sharing.
12-25-2020, 09:47 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Greetings from Baltimore and welcome to the forum. I would suggest shooting in RAW mode, get your shots close but erring on the side of underexposure, and pushing shots in post processing. The "Exposure" slider in software like Lightroom or Photoshop is where a lot of that can take place. I have a K-5 II and continue to be impressed with how much range the images from that camera have as far as exposure compensation in post.

If you're using Av mode, and m42 glass where you're stopping down the lens then taking the shot, and all of them seem underexposed to you, I would just dial in a bit of EV compensation to correct to some degree when taking the shots. Having your ISO set to auto-range as needed when shooting in Av mode will help as well (I'm not at home right now so I cannot try this out on my camera as I'm writing this, working from memory, I believe this function is available in Av mode).
12-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I purchased a Pentax K 20D specifically to use with my M42 lenses. I enjoy using vintage lenses and want to improve on my manual mode skills. I would love to use my D7000 Nikon but have not found an adapter that works well. So far the K 20D works well. I have been using AV mode and am learning to stop down for better exposures. I was told to full manual mode works best with vintage lenses. My shots tend to be underexposed, but as I learn exposure compensation in AV mode they have improved.

Thanks Karl
Hi Karl, some answers:
  1. Either one could be limiting. If you continue to use the K20D, you can use cheaper glass and get nice results. If you upgrade to a K-3 III and pixel-peep, you'll want expensive glass to go with it. Expensive and heavy. But very sharp and croppable.
  2. Just do it.
  3. Paying attention to the metering indicator.
Welcome to the forum!