Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2020, 09:58 PM   #1

Hi from the lovely Eastern Shore of Maryland

I purchased a Pentax K 20D specifically to use with my M42 lenses. I enjoy using vintage lenses and want to improve on my manual mode skills. I would love to use my D7000 Nikon but have not found an adapter that works well. So far the K 20D works well. I have been using AV mode and am learning to stop down for better exposures. I was told to full manual mode works best with vintage lenses. My shots tend to be underexposed, but as I learn exposure compensation in AV mode they have improved.

I'm seeking the answer to the following questions:
1. Should I upgrade from the K20 D for better quality photos, or is quality driven mostly by the lens?
2. Pointers for shooting in AV mode with vintage lenses.
3. What is the most important factor for shooting successfully in full manual mode?

Thanks Karl

12-21-2020, 10:08 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Karl, welcome from Australia.
12-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Depends on the type of photos but I think quality is more lens based. Another way to think about it is that you can use good quality lenses with other bodies so investing in them is a surer bet.

I usually just go in manual instead of Av. In manual mode, I use the green button to get a good starting setting then adjust the aperture from there. In my experience it gets it right like 80% of the time but the other times I have to do a bit of chimping after the shot. You can read about the green button here: Pentax Green Button Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
12-22-2020, 02:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, greetings from Greece! As mentioned, you’ll have more control over your shot with manual mode. Also, I might miss focus on some shots cause I’m stopped down, less light , you know. I prefer manual mode when shooting with manual tele lens to improve image sharpness (motion blur).

12-22-2020, 02:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Either aperture priority or green button metering in manual both work well. If you want to nail manual lenses, try doing the single in or daily in challenges
12-22-2020, 03:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome from South Africa. Previous posters gave you excellent advice regarding your questions.
Best.
12-22-2020, 03:53 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kbSR1 Quote
I'm seeking the answer to the following questions:
1. Should I upgrade from the K20 D for better quality photos, or is quality driven mostly by the lens?
2. Pointers for shooting in AV mode with vintage lenses.
3. What is the most important factor for shooting successfully in full manual mode?
Welcome, I love visiting the Eastern Shore
1. Should? That depends on what your budget will allow, but used K-5s and newer are available and affordable here on PF Marketplace, you would see a noticeable increase in quality of images, both in better resolution as well as much more range in ISO, especially in low light.
2. Since you are shooting M42 lenses, be conscious of the aperture you have selected and how that affects the shutter speed in different lighting conditions.
3. Practice with your camera and lens combos and the aperture-shutter-ISO relationship, take your time setting up your composition and choose the best settings for the light and the scene, learn zone focusing, use single point focus.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

12-22-2020, 04:36 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland
12-22-2020, 04:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Practice is the key. Take plenty of photographs and you should quickly get a feel for when you are likely to over or underexpose and compensate accordingly. The K20 should be fine to get going. I only just replaced my K10 last month as it stopped working and not really worth the expense of getting it fixed.

Last edited by stevejo; 12-22-2020 at 04:55 AM. Reason: remove spurious comment
12-22-2020, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #10

Glad to see Pentaxes in action on the Shore. You are treading on sacred ground. Nice to be able to roam Blackwater and the hamlets surrounding it. Check out Old Trinity in Church Creek and say hi to my folks. Dad is resting under the tree at the end of the road, just as you make a left for the parking lot. Grandpop is near the path to the pier.
As you drive on to Blackwater, wave to my Greatgrandparents as you pass by Madison.
Somewhere along the shoreline of Wallace Creek, and all around Taylor's Island and Golden Hill the rest of the clan is settled down.
12-22-2020, 09:01 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stevejo is right, practice is key. Similar to real estate, the three most important words are: practice, practice, practice. Now all I need do is follow my own advice.
12-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Welcome, I love visiting the Eastern Shore
1. Should? That depends on what your budget will allow, but used K-5s and newer are available and affordable here on PF Marketplace, you would see a noticeable increase in quality of images, both in better resolution as well as much more range in ISO, especially in low light.
2. Since you are shooting M42 lenses, be conscious of the aperture you have selected and how that affects the shutter speed in different lighting conditions.
3. Practice with your camera and lens combos and the aperture-shutter-ISO relationship, take your time setting up your composition and choose the best settings for the light and the scene, learn zone focusing, use single point focus.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.
Good Evening Robgski
Thanks for the suggestions. I purchased a K-5 ii yesterday and look forward to learning how to use my collection of M42 lenses. Attached are a few shots with my K20 using a Mamiya/sekor f2 50mm or Telesar wide auto f2.8 28mm. I used AV mode and adjusted with EC. I run into difficulty when the subject is in shadows, and I cannot compensate. I have not learned how to change the ISO in these situations. I have seen some cameras on youtube that show ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed in the LV and let you adjust them in that view. What models do that? I would appreciate your review and recommendations. - Karl
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D7000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
12-23-2020, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Karl, welcome from Australia.
Thank you, my dream destination to photo and fish for weeks.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 07:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pkboy Quote
Depends on the type of photos but I think quality is more lens based. Another way to think about it is that you can use good quality lenses with other bodies so investing in them is a surer bet.

I usually just go in manual instead of Av. In manual mode, I use the green button to get a good starting setting then adjust the aperture from there. In my experience it gets it right like 80% of the time but the other times I have to do a bit of chimping after the shot. You can read about the green button here: Pentax Green Button Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Good Evening Pk Boy
Thanks for the suggestions. I purchased a K-5 ii yesterday and look forward to learning how to use my collection of M42 lenses. Attached are a few shots with my K20 using a Mamiya/sekor f2 50mm or Telesar wide auto f2.8 28mm. I used AV mode and adjusted with EC. I run into difficulty when the subject is in shadows, and I cannot compensate. I have not learned how to change the ISO in these situations. I have seen some cameras on youtube that show ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed in the LV and let you adjust them in that view. What models do that? I would appreciate your review and recommendations.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 07:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Welcome to the forum, greetings from Greece! As mentioned, you’ll have more control over your shot with manual mode. Also, I might miss focus on some shots cause I’m stopped down, less light , you know. I prefer manual mode when shooting with manual tele lens to improve image sharpness (motion blur).
Good Evening
Thanks for the suggestions. I purchased a K-5 ii yesterday and look forward to learning how to use my collection of M42 lenses. Attached are a few shots with my K20 using a Mamiya/sekor f2 50mm or Telesar wide auto f2.8 28mm. I used AV mode and adjusted with EC. As you mentioned, I run into difficulty when the subject is in the shadows, and I cannot compensate. I have not learned how to change the ISO in these situations. I have seen some cameras on youtube that show ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed in the LV and let you adjust them in that view. What models do that? I would appreciate your review and recommendations. Time for more practice with full manual mode

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 07:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Either aperture priority or green button metering in manual both work well. If you want to nail manual lenses, try doing the single in or daily in challenges
Not sure what you mean by the single in of daily challenges. I'm a newbie to this site.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 07:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Charlie Victor Quote
Welcome from South Africa. Previous posters gave you excellent advice regarding your questions.
Best.
Thanks, your country is a dream destination for me.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 07:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
Practice is the key. Take plenty of photographs and you should quickly get a feel for when you are likely to over or underexpose and compensate accordingly. The K20 should be fine to get going. I only just replaced my K10 last month as it stopped working and not really worth the expense of getting it fixed.
Good Evening Steve
Thanks for the suggestions. I purchased a K-5 ii yesterday and look forward to learning how to use my collection of M42 lenses. Attached are a few shots with my K20 using a Mamiya/sekor f2 50mm or Telesar wide auto f2.8 28mm. I used AV mode and adjusted with EC. I run into difficulty when the subject is in shadows, and I cannot compensate. I have not learned how to change the ISO in these situations. I have seen some cameras on youtube that show ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed in the LV and let you adjust them in that view. What models do that? I would appreciate your review and recommendations.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 07:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by EnglishBob Quote
Glad to see Pentaxes in action on the Shore. You are treading on sacred ground. Nice to be able to roam Blackwater and the hamlets surrounding it. Check out Old Trinity in Church Creek and say hi to my folks. Dad is resting under the tree at the end of the road, just as you make a left for the parking lot. Grandpop is near the path to the pier.
As you drive on to Blackwater, wave to my Greatgrandparents as you pass by Madison.
Somewhere along the shoreline of Wallace Creek, and all around Taylor's Island and Golden Hill the rest of the clan is settled down.
Thanks, Bob, I will check the sites out. I took the attached yesterday.
12-23-2020, 08:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kbSR1 Quote
I have seen some cameras on youtube that show ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed in the LV and let you adjust them in that view. What models do that? I would appreciate your review and recommendations.
For lenses that lack the aperture ring, you can adjust the aperture with the back dial but it's best to refer to the manual.

On manual lenses that have the aperture ring, you'd have to do it manually.

As for ISO, check the manual but for the K-3, you press the ISO button, then the ISO will have an indicator beside it, then turn the back dial (the one facing you) left/right to adjust. By default it goes up and down by full stops, there is a setting where you can change it to go up by 1/2 and 1/3 stops, I forget where exactly but the manual should have it.

The shutter speed for the k-3 is turning the front dial (one away from you), but again, the manual would know best. In short, check the manual
12-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

I suggest the OP consider looking at the " articles " section:

QuoteQuote:
Manual Focus Lens Choices for Pentax
That old glass is amazing!
By K David in Articles and Tips on Jul 19, 2015

Read more at: Manual Focus Lens Choices for Pentax - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Green Button Guide
A look at one of Pentax's secrets
By johnhilvert in Articles and Tips on Aug 15, 2016

Read more at: Pentax Green Button Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com