Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-22-2020, 08:41 AM   #1

New here, learning more about photography

Greetings.

My name is Kim (aka Ceffyl). I've had Pentax gear for a while, but only recently made the splurge into full frame with a K-1 Mark II. My local photo shop had a used one with two lenses, so I snapped it up. I have a K-3 that I used for faster action stuff. The K-1 I'm just learning my way around. I have a mix of older and newer lenses, but my budget hasn't been able to afford what I really want.

I am interested in horse photography, landscapes, and portraits.

I'm excited to have this forum to be able to learn more.

12-22-2020, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ceffyl Quote
Greetings.

My name is Kim (aka Ceffyl). I've had Pentax gear for a while, but only recently made the splurge into full frame with a K-1 Mark II. My local photo shop had a used one with two lenses, so I snapped it up. I have a K-3 that I used for faster action stuff. The K-1 I'm just learning my way around. I have a mix of older and newer lenses, but my budget hasn't been able to afford what I really want.

I am interested in horse photography, landscapes, and portraits.

I'm excited to have this forum to be able to learn more.
Welcome aboard Kim. As you interested in equine photography, have you come across Carys Jones? You can find her on Instagram as #carysjonesphoto and http://www.carysjonesphotography.co.uk/.
12-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #3

Original Poster
Sweet! I will check out her stuff on Instagram. I have had horses for any years, so of course I want to take pictures of the girls my mares.
12-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Kim!

I think you'll find a whole new world to explore with your K-1 Mark II camera. I grew up on a Pentax PZ-1p film camera and the K-1 made the digital transition really smooth, with so many features to keep one busy learning them and having fun while doing so. Enjoy and keep with the forum here to learn more about your new opportunities.

12-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ceffyl Quote
I have a mix of older and newer lenses, but my budget hasn't been able to afford what I really want.
Oh how much do I get you. Mine is not even close. Welcome to the forum. Don’t let money get in the way. Learning is pretty much free of charge.
12-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Kim. Welcome from South Africa. The forum offers lots of information and knowledgeable members to assist with any queries you may have.
Best.
12-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for the warm welcome! It means a lot.

I started off with a Kalimar (Pentax K-1000 knockoff) that had two K-mount lenses. I went from that to a Pentax K-100D Super, then the K-3, and now the K-1 II. I got a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 used at a great price for the K-1 for horse photography. I was excited until I learned about the mount compatibility issue that this lens has with the K-1 body. It works on the K-3 just fine, but not putting it back on the K-1. Supposedly Sigma will fix the lens, but I have to send it in. Unclear if they will fix it since I bought it used.

I had never heard about Irix lenses, so that will be fun reading. I have one Rokinon 35mm that I bought based off of recommendations from the lens reviews here. Wow. What a great lens.

I have 4 older Super Takumar lenses that I got from the local camera shop. They are fun to play with as well, but harder because I have to set everything manually. I need to learn more.

12-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #8

Original Poster
12-22-2020, 01:43 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland
12-22-2020, 02:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums. I also have a Pentax K-1 II. It is an excellent camera.
12-22-2020, 02:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.
12-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

horse photography ?

does that mean jumping ?

QuoteQuote:
Guide to Camera and Autofocus Settings for Shooting Sports
High-speed photography: horse show jumping
By beholder3 in Articles and Tips on Apr 26, 2017

Read more at: Guide to Camera and Autofocus Settings for Shooting Sports - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

or racing ?

QuoteQuote:
DSLR Guide for Shooting Sports II: Horse Racing
How to set up autofocus and other DSLR settings
By beholder3 in Articles and Tips on Sep 11, 2017

Read more at: DSLR Guide for Shooting Sports II: Horse Racing - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
12-22-2020, 10:09 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

horse photography ?
Thank you for the warm welcome! I am really excited to learn more about photography, especially now that I've actually bought a full frame camera.

Horse photography for horses in fields or being handled as well as some action shots. For example, pictures of my friends at horse shows riding Dressage and showing in-hand. My Mom also raises horses so there are calls for stills for her breeding stock as well. That was my "excuse" for getting the K-1 II.

Mostly it's combining two things I love.

Thank you for the links!
12-23-2020, 10:09 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Many subjects here for discussion and to learn more about photography. enjoy.
12-25-2020, 06:12 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum, Kim!