Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2021, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #1

New 645z owner

Hi, my name is Stephen and I am a landscape photographer from Scotland who has a love of all things Pyrenees and Alps.

I've kind of always "wanted" a medium format digital camera for the dynamic range, resolution (I sell very large prints and sell commercial images for travel companys - mega pixels do count) as well as relish them on an 85k 8k screen.

Wex were doing 645z with £1800 so I bought 2 (always like a second body) with a new 28-45 and 45-85. It was a toss up between this and the Fuji GFX so my reasons for not going into that system. As a field of view this will cover 90% of my work.

1. I cannot get on with mirrorless cameras. As a working professional I need to be able to use my equipment without a seconds thought. I like big, solid feeling cameras. I find the EVF particularly loathesome about them. I wanted another SLR. Since Nikon (I came from D810) will kill the SLR after D850 I needed to move to a maker who actually still has faith in SLRs
2. I like SLRs'. They work for my photography - they are tactile and enjoyable to use. As a design they let in a lot less sensor dirt. This matters. Post production shouldn't be a game of spot the dust bunny but rather about getting your tone curve correct.
3. The Z has two tripod mounts - this will make switching between landscape and portrait orientation a doddle. This stuff actually matters. I like to take a portrait shot for magazine/book covers of which I have supplied through agencies.
4. Centre to edge sharpness is as important as front to back sharpness in landscape photography. I've yet to encounter any Nikon wide lens that really delivers in this areas. The 28-45 is completely uniform stopped down and the 45-85 is excellent all over too.

For telephoto landscapes I'll keep a 35mm format Nikon D810 and 70-200 as that lens is very good all over, even in the sides stopped down. I cannot afford more gear for the moment. I will run this rig for 7-8 years as my main camera set up. If pentax do happen to bring out a higher res 35mm camera than 36mp - I might swtich that too but logic says just get a D850 and run that with the lens for 7-8years.

01-07-2021, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Stephen, welcome from Australia. Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
01-07-2021, 04:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Stephen, welcome from Australia. Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
Thanks - due to lockdown I've only taken some test shots inside the house to test it and configure the bodies controls wise for the field.

Are you allowed to post Flickr links as I could share some shots from my D810 so y'all can see what I am all about.
01-07-2021, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SFTphotography Quote
Are you allowed to post Flickr links as I could share some shots from my D810 so y'all can see what I am all about.
I've linked the thread for posting images on the forums below. I'll keep an eye out for your pix.

How to upload / link photos - BEGINNERS START HERE - PentaxForums.com

01-07-2021, 04:45 AM - 6 Likes   #5

Original Poster
Some local shots

---------- Post added 01-07-21 at 04:50 AM ----------

---------- Post added 01-07-21 at 04:53 AM ----------

The Pyrenees

---------- Post added 01-07-21 at 04:56 AM ----------

01-07-2021, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard from the shores of Loch Ness.
01-07-2021, 06:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard from the shores of Loch Ness.
Ah a relative local - and thanks. The bulk of my UK shooting is Glencoe and Skye (I run, or used to run workshops there) and I sometimes venture towards Assynt.

Can't wait to get the 645z up there.

01-07-2021, 06:18 AM - 2 Likes   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Ah a relative local - and thanks. The bulk of my UK shooting is Glencoe and Skye (I run, or used to run workshops there) and I sometimes venture towards Assynt.

Can't wait to get the 645z up there.
Aye we're blessed here in the Highlands with many great and unpopulated places to be.
01-07-2021, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #9

Original Poster
Aye we're blessed here in the Highlands with many great and unpopulated places to be.
Yep...Skye

The Glen

Suilven

Makes me yearn to be back out
01-07-2021, 06:36 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep...Skye
Not so sure about Skye now... the last couple of years the Island been mobbed with folk and camper vans. To the extent folk were being turned back at the bridge by Police, if they had nowhere booked to stay on Skye.

BTW you'll need to renew yersel gym membership... in order to lug a 645Z with associated kit up Suilven.
01-07-2021, 06:48 AM   #11

Original Poster
You'll need to renew yer gym membership... in order to lug a 645Z with associated kit up Suilven.
You know what - it actually isn't too bad. 1 645z with one zoom attached as opposed to a D810 and a bag full of Sigma primes and the weight is actually less. I once walked from refuge Flegere with a D810 with 70-200 2.8 attached, with a D800, 24, 35, and 50 mm arts in the bag with a 190 Manfrotto to Lac des Cheserys. That was quite heavy but with a good bag, set up correctly all do-able. Good trip though

The trick to photographing Suilven - well this way is not to go up it at all. Just walk the easy path to Glen Canisp lodge and shoot accross the Loch - that way you can frame the whole thing. Once you climb a mountain you cannot photograph it - you can just take the view from it as you're on it. I prefer to be low and looking over, rather than on top looking down.

---------- Post added 01-07-21 at 06:49 AM ----------

Not so sure about Skye now... the last couple of years the Island been mobbed with folk and camper vans. To the extent folk were being turned back at the bridge by Police, if they had nowhere booked to stay on Skye.
It's only 3hrs or so for me, drive there for sunrise, come home. Sunrise in the summer being around 4am it's dead as a dodo
01-07-2021, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer to be low and looking over, rather than on top looking down.
Sounds like a good plan to me.
01-07-2021, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some local shots
Welcome to the forum. Seeing your images really makes me want to return to Scotland, this time with a 645Z.
I've been watching the Photography Online YouTube channel, Skye will be part of that trip, but I'll make reservations thanks to the comments here.
01-07-2021, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Skye will be part of that trip, but I'll make reservations thanks to the comments here.
That's quite sensible... avoids any disappointment, especially for folk like yourself thats traveled so far to be there.

The key to any of the well known places is as SFTphotography suggests... up at silly o'clock, so you can be both in and out, before the more "casual" visitor gets up from breakfast table.
01-07-2021, 09:15 AM   #15

Original Poster
I also happen to think the best time is to visit just before the school summer break - I find the last two weeks of May into the 1st week of June or so the most productive, and most pleasant for photography. Yes you have to be up early but it's blissful and lovely and warm. Summer for me is THE season for Scotland.