Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2021, 04:44 AM   #1

Pentax 738 help!

Hi guys,
I’m completely new to film photography. I’ve started off with a Pentax Espio 738 with Kodak portra 400 film.
I’ve tried loading the film following videos exactly, however when I do the screen on the top of the camera displays ‘E’ (I’m assuming for empty).
I’ve tried so many times to load, rewind and load again it’s getting frustrating has anyone got any clue what is going on?
Thanks,
H

01-15-2021, 05:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi, and Welcome.

In my experience, there are really only two reasons a roll won't load properly into a camera like an Espio.

1) The end of the film leader is too far to the right (or not far enough) when the back door is closed. If it's too far to the right, the film will curl up over the sprockets when the camera tries to load, and it won't wind. If it's not far enough, the take-up spool can't grab it to get it started. There should be some sort of graphical indicator that shows you where the end of the film should go. You may need to push a little bit of the film back into the canister.

2) It's broken... it happens. There are ways to tell if it's making the wrong sound when it tries to load (which I doubt you'll be able to determine since this is your first film camera). You may need to take it to a local shop and see if they can tell.

-Eric
01-15-2021, 05:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't have one but they should be simple enough. The manual gives a couple of key points. The film should be pulled level with the film leader mark (on the take up spool presumably), the leader should be flat, not bent, trim it off if it is kinked. The film should lie flat across the film guides. Should be on the sprockets. Also says the film won't load if the film detector is dirty. This is just to the left of the top of the film cartridge. If you don't have a manual, there is one here .

Good luck.

Oh! and check the battery.

Last edited by stevejo; 01-15-2021 at 05:37 AM.
01-15-2021, 05:31 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, hope you get sorted out quickly.

01-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!
01-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum. I hope you come to enjoy your film camera and share some photos. Greetings from Greece.