Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2021, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #1

New to photography

Hello everyone. I've recently retired and finally have the time to pursue amateur photography. I'm an optometrist so I have a background in optics but there is much to learn when applying it to photography. We've recently moved to our cottage in the country and are surrounded by gorgeous landscapes and wildlife. Those are the subjects I would love to photograph.
I've heard that Pentax cameras are the best. What camera would you recommend for a beginner like me?

02-02-2021, 02:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome! I'm sure you'll have a great time photographing with what sounds like an idyllic setting you've ended up in!
It largely depends on budget. The likelihood is you'll have a few people telling you that the likes of the Pentax KP are fantastic which utilises a smaller sensor, but is quite 'pixel dense', so lots of fine details. Others will tell you that the Pentax K1 (or K1ii) is the one to go for, as it's been touted as a particularly strongly-performing landscape-focussed camera (which I'd largely agree with).
The difference is the Pentax KP is usually running around the £600/$700 mark and the K1 is more like £1000/$1200, both usually on the used market. Prices will fluctuate a little here.
There's a consideration for lenses to be made, too, but the 'kit' lenses for both are excellent and are quite versatile:
For KP - Pentax 18-135mm.
For K1 - Pentax 28-105mm.

Someone will be along to give you a better, more detailed answer I'm sure but hopefully this helps in the meantime!
02-02-2021, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cecelia19 Quote
What camera would you recommend for a beginner like me?
How much of your money are we allowed to spend..................................

Welcome from Australia.
02-02-2021, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

you will friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

as well as well meaning advice on how to spend your money

budget is very important to consider

do you want new or " experienced " gear

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

are you able to spend money to gain hands on experience ?

if so consider renting gear -

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
gorgeous landscapes and wildlife.
for some, a full frame sensor - K 1 or K 1 II camera is preferred for landscapes while others prefer the K 3 " family " with its smaller " crop " ASPC-C sensor for wildlife due to its fast continuous faster shutter speed

Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax K-1 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

[ the new K 3 III has not yet been released to the market but is supposed to be this month ( ? ) ]

____________________________________________________________________________-

be sure to read the " articles " as well as the reviews under " cameras " and " lenses"

and enjoy your photography regardless of what gear you decide to start with

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-02-2021 at 04:57 AM.
02-02-2021, 06:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello, welcome to expensive world of photography.

Think: heavy/light when it comes to wildlife and landscapes. All current Pentax cameras (K-70, KP and K-1 Mk II) will work. First two are light and compact, last one is big and heavy. If you intend to walk or bike a lot then K-70 or KP will be better choices. Both camera and lenses will be lighter, smaller and if you consider additional gear like tripod for landscapes then it can become quite a burden. If you want to take camera on holidays and stuff - also smaller and lighter one is better. Heavy one tends to stay in hotel.

If you will go around mostly be car and do not intend to walk miles and miles with your own feet - K-1 Mk II will give better image quality then first two, it is sort of "ultimate" landscape camera.
02-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely consider buying used gear here on the Marketplace.
Each camera is a little different, but they're all useful for landscapes.

I have a K3II and a K5. The 16MP sensor in the K5 has a more film-like quality, though that could be because it has filters which were removed (by design) in the K3II.

Figure out your initial budget and the kinds of images you'll want. If wide angle, look for that as a start. You have time, and you've got some good advice above.
02-02-2021, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As you are a beginner you will initially need a camera that does everything, simply because you don't yet know what your preferred subject will be. Interchangeable lens cameras come in two types (Mirrorless (MILC) & DSLR. Pentax only make DSLRs. Mirrorless cameras use a screen as a viewfinder which gives you a representation of the final image. These are not to everyone's taste. DSLRs use pentaprisms for a more natural view, like film cameras.) and four sensor sizes. Of the sensor sizes, Medium format is huge and expensive, not really a beginners camera. Micro 4/3, the smallest, is very good, the lenses and bodies are generally smaller, they are great for landscapes, macro and wildlife but you don't have as much control over depth of field. It also doesn't handle noise/grain/speckles caused by high Iso (sensitivity) as well as full frame or APSC. Full frame and APSC are the two most popular. Full frame is the equivalent of film, very high quality but a bit larger, heavier and more expensive than APSC. APSC is a smaller sensor but still very high quality, lenses are smaller as are the bodies and it is generally cheaper. In terms of Pentax, all are robust and reliable, with weather resistance and in body image stabilization (IBIS). the K1ii (Full Frame) has been described as the best landscape camera you can buy but it isn't small and the initial outlay could be high. Pentax APSC has two offerings, both give you great image quality, the KP is quirky and hugely popular amongst members here, the K70, also popular, is the cheaper and more conventional unit. Both are capable of covering all aspects of photography. They also won't break the bank. Regarding other makes (I am no expert so I will be a bit general) Canon are the big boys but they aren't necessarily best. I find the styling a bit bulbous. The entry level cameras have some great features but don't have weather sealing or stabilization. They are also a bit plasticky, but they are cheap! Better quality offerings get very expensive, very quickly. Nikon is similar but by all accounts a bit more techy. The autofocus is very good as is battery life and image quality. Sony image quality is excellent as is autofocus and video capability but some of the menu systems can be frustrating. Sony aren't cheap. Sony only make mirrorless, the full frame mirrorless (A7 series) being the stars, but you are looking at £2k. Then there is Fuji. Fuji make cool cameras. They are all mirrorless nicely constructed and quite retro looking. Image quality is excellent and they perform really well. There are some reasonably priced options like the X-T30 & X-T200. The best Fuji's for beginners are APSC. Regarding recommendations, you need to decide whether you want a traditional view finder or an electronic screen. If you have any optical issues you need to look into whether a screen will cause headaches. There are some real benefits to an electronic viewfinder but by the same token, some people just prefer the view through glass. In terms of Mirrorless, I would look at Fuji, new, maybe an X-T30, used, an X-T3. Mirrored, Pentax! People quote a lack of physical support (shops) as a reason to discount Pentax, but as everything is now done online, that point is moot. Also, Pentax Forums is unique in its supportive membership. A new KP or K70 with a lens (18-135mm) will come in cheaper than the equivalent competition and will do everything you need. Second hand, a K3ii is a pro APSC that is built like a tank and won't cost a fortune. Pentax weather RESISTANCE (shower proof but don't swim with one) and stabilization means they are great for poor light or adverse weather. APSC sensors give you the best compromise for all types of shooting and the camera buttons and dials can be customized to work with you.

Bottom line, all cameras are good and will do a job. Don't spend a fortune straight off the bat, work with a camera make for a bit so that you know it is right for you as changing systems always costs money, and, do your research. Lots of people shoot with Canon because its the only name they know, they then recommend canon to their friends and so it goes on. They are the Manchester united of the camera world. Having lots of supporters doesn't make them the best

02-02-2021, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I retired t the wild near Algonquin Park, Ontario , Canada a little over 10 years ago.

My favourite walking kit, is the K-3, DA 18-135 and DA 55-300 PLM. But if you're interested in a one piece of kit that does everything I'd go for a K-P if I were buying today.

The first lenses I'd add to that based kit would be the DA*55 1.4 and DFA 100 macro. In my opinion, I you're going for narrow DoF, go for 1.4 2.8 is a half solution up to 70mm. 100-400mm ƒ2.8 is good. 500 until 600 ƒ4 is good. But 2.8 on wide angle is a half solution. You can do 2 stops better. There are lots of FA ltd. primes (31, 43, 77) 1.8 primes and the DA 50 1.8 is Sub ƒ2, and cheap. F 2.8 is desirable only in zooms, because or the most par, that's as wide as zooms get. There are also 2 85 1.4s and two 50 1.4 for narrow DoF low light images. 2.8 for low light is barely adequate.

I'd also suggest after the first two you shoot for 6 months to a year, learn some post processing skills, and then analyze your images to see where you might like some primes. The 18-135 can probably be found bundled with a K-70 or K-P for additional savings.

To make the most of Pentax especially for the country are their rugged construction, water resistance (some people have actually submerged them, although it's not recommended). I like my carry around zooms to have decent pseudo macro capability, which both the DA 18-135 and DA 55-300 have.

I'm not going to entertain many negatives, where I live they don't affect me. And I don't know a lot about other company's entry level cameras, except to suggest they are all pretty good.

In the end the reasons for Pentax are ruggedness and durability. Good IQ is a given. However Pentax also has unique features like Pixel Shift, and Astro tracer which give you added options for some types of photography.

However, my objection with older cameras would be the K-P has the latest greatest tech, and will be relevant for years to come. The K-3 series is already missing the accelerator chip, and tilting back screen, for better low light performance and shooting from low camera angles. IMHO the K-P is "the" general purpose camera, especially given that it has a magnesium body like the pro models, as opposed to plastic construction in earlier models entry level models.

But, if you're looking everywhere, you have a lot of work to do.

Models like the K-1 and K-3iii (and K-3ii) are missing features that make them less desirable for shooters shooting with one body. I like my K-3 for birding and wildlife. I like my K-1 for landscape and macro (macro because of the tiling back screen, but it's frame rate for moving subjects is poor.) The K-P in my opinion is the best one camera solution. It has slightly reduced specs in some areas, while still having superior durability(better construction and components than say a K-70 or older entry level camera. Overall, it has more of everything good.

Last edited by normhead; 02-02-2021 at 09:12 AM.
02-02-2021, 08:49 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
. . . Interchangeable lens cameras come in two types (Mirrorless (MILC) & DSLR. Pentax only make DSLRs. Mirrorless cameras use a screen as a viewfinder which gives you a representation of the final image. . . .
hmm

it is true that Pentax is not making new mirrorless cameras

but they did make mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras

Pentax Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

you may be able to find their mirrorless cameras on the " experienced " equipment " market
02-02-2021, 08:49 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Almost every interchangeable lens camera system on the market today takes excellent photos. Each has different tradeoffs, and you won't know which system is perfect FOR YOU until you become more experienced with photography and know more what you want. The primary advantages of Pentax over other brands is a wide-range of weather resistant lenses/cameras, and overall more toughness in the bodies. Another advantage at the lower-price tier, Pentax cameras have Pentaprism instead of pentamirror (better view finder) and better controls than lower-spec cameras from Nikon or Canon. The primary disadvantages of Pentax are focus tracking of moving subjects isn't great, and less support from third-party lens manufacturers.

My advice is to get a Pentax K-70 with 18-135 lens and shoot only that for awhile to see what it does and doesn't do for you, or if you even really enjoy photography as a hobby. There are equivalent setups from every manufacturer, and they are all pretty good for around the same money. Just pick one and don't have any regrets, plan on shooting for a year, and then reassess your needs and change systems, or add on lenses or whatever is right for you.
02-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
. . . The primary advantages of Pentax over other brands is a wide-range of weather resistant lenses/cameras, and overall more toughness in the bodies. Another advantage at the lower-price tier, Pentax cameras have Pentaprism instead of pentamirror (better view finder) and better controls than lower-spec cameras from Nikon or Canon. . . . .
another advantage is IBIS

Pentax cameras offer in body image stabilization as opposed to image stabilization in the lens

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/413324-have-pen...ml#post5087588
02-02-2021, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

When you're looking to buy a "serious" camera (as opposed to a smart phone) along with the required lens, I think one of things you have to consider is what you would like to do with the images you take with the camera. For practical purposes, a camera like the Pentax K-1, which is large, heavy, and expensive, is only really needed if you would like the option to make large, detailed prints (like 50" inches long). If, for example, you don't see yourself printing above 20 inches (or perhaps not printing at all), you don't have to acquire as expensive camera or lenses. So unless you wish to print large, my recommendation would be the Pentax KP along with the DA 18-135. The KP is a very solid camera that should last many years, and although it is designed for seasoned photographers, it is still fairly easy to use. And the DA 18-135 is lightweight and relatively inexpensive, and offers a good range (you can both zoom out and zoom in a fair amount). If you want to make really large prints, than the K-1 becomes more enticing, as it offers a larger sensor that can capture more detail. I would match that camera with the DFA 28-105, which is an excellent compact zoom with a decent range and very good optics.
02-02-2021, 09:21 AM   #13
Forum Member

I would recommend the K70. Online it is often referred to as a 'beginner' or 'entry level' camera which is quite misleading. It is packed with genuinely useful advanced features, so as you gain experience it seems to offer more and more. In fact the only 'entry level' feature on the K70 are the scene modes. Pentax cameras also have tried and tested weather resistance so ideal for your landscape and wildlife photography.
02-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, it seems you have an abundance of information already to digest.

So I’ll just say enjoy your photography the Pentax way,
02-02-2021, 11:14 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Welcome. For landscapes, a new Pentax KP or K1 is a good choice. I wouldn't go for the K70 as it has reliability issues that the aforementioned do not have. If you are on a budget check out (in descending order of price) a used K3 II, K3, K5 II S or K5 II. Anything older than that is only a good idea at a rock-bottom price.