Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi from Athens, GA

Hello, everyone. I thought I'd posted an introduction last night, but I thought I'd say hello. I'm an old-school Canon FD shooter, and once sort of honorary-Pentaxian (I used to borrow or rent old 6x7s for weddings or medium format work: and you have to love the glass or have no choice to shoot weddings with a 6x7. I used to say to them, 'You're *so* mean to me, but your results make me look *so* good.* )

I'd been somewhat out of photography for a long time, until about four years ago, due to a disability and resulting poverty, ...but then a pair of eyeglasses of the proper prescription (I'd been suffering from the effects of the wrong prescriptions for a long time, and thinking the only way I could reliably do it right was to get autofocus kit. Chronic eye strain does put a damper on the shutter bug.) Good glasses sort of set off a cascade of events that have led back into the field... but as a result of all this, I do feel like a photographer from 1990 who came through a time-tunnel just recently.

Times being what they are, I've been looking for a DSLR companion for my old Canons, to somewhat supplant a little Lumix bridge camera I've been tiding myself over with in that role for a few years, now, and waiting for something acceptable to come into reach. A bridge camera can save on film from the inevitable snapshot requests, but anything that's moving can become problematic.

A fortunate recent series of events means I have a K20d coming, though. (In trade for the results of one of those 'rare lens in a thrift-store' type finds you hear about and always wish happened to *you.* I don't think I can even get any glass for it on this month's budget, but it sure beats being a few months of austerity away from a used K10. So, happy will I be. )

So, I thought I'd introduce myself: I'll soon be peppering people with questions about glass acquisition, (think I'll start with a 50 1.4, that's a no-brainer for someone who pretty much lives in fast short portrait lengths, that should give me time,) And other compatibility concerns. (Like does that PC socket mean I can plug an (old,not reissued-low voltage) Vivitar 285HV in there safely? Are there FAQs up about such things? )

Anyway, hope to meet plenty of you folks.

11-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, you should get any extra motivation you may ever need from in here, enjoy your photography again.
11-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum. I think we may very well be learning a few things from you reading your background in photography.
11-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.

Unless someone comes up with a different meaning the HV in the 285HV means High Voltage so, check your flash sync voltage with a multimeter - do a search on the forum for multimeter or vivitar to find out how.

Vivitar has different voltages. The Pentax can take up to 30V at least the istD can.

11-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum too. Your experience will surely contribute to the forum
11-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for welcomes.

The HV in 285 HV doesn't relate to synch voltage, though, ...the HV there represents the ability to take some then-modern power sources, like old Quantum packs and the occasionally-explodey things that came immediately before. ...actually non-HV 285s are pretty old and rare: they, along with the 283, turned into a working photog's favorite sometime later, for whatever reason, so they're basically *all* HVs in that sense.

At that time, no one cared about trigger voltage, beyond there being 'some,' cause there were no computers in cameras to begin with. Which is why the issue. (Vivitar recently reissued the 285 with a lower trigger voltage, at least for a while. Unfortunately, they appear to have neglected to mark the new flashes in any way that might distinguish them from the older ones.

In any event, 30V, if that's what a K20 can take, is well above what a 285HV of the old kind is supposed to draw, so, assuming that's the case, it'd be nice and safe. But I'll test. My surviving 285 is old enough to drink by now.
11-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

I grew up and lived in Athens, GA for years before moving to Boston, back to Atlanta and then to Athens, Greece. Coincidentally, I am visiting my family in Athens, GA at the moment! If you see a happy-go-lucky guy with a K10D strapped around his neck walking around the city, chances are it is me!

Jas
11-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Haha. You must have great ties to that Goddess, with all those Athenian cities in your past and present, Jasvox. (Boston was originally to be named 'New Athens,' but someone decided that wasn't virtuous enough somehow. I'm from there, originally. )

I don't know how much I'l be out and about, but if so, probably I'll be the frazzled looking one occasionally trying to finish film rolls so I can get caught up on film processing before the Thanksgiving guests arrive.

Perhaps staring blankly at am old Mamiya like one who's *sure* she knew how to use it a few sleepless days ago. (OK, it's not that bad. But still.) Just don't be alarmed if any strange lady, maybe spattered in paint, flour, wearing one sneaker and a fuzzy slipper, reeking of Dektol and with Post-it notes in her hair comes up and says, "Heeey, Pentax guy.... What was I saying?" Harmless. Really.

Actually, tonight I should sleep like a rock, but it's been a busy couple of weeks.

11-18-2008, 02:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

MagicLady the 30V is confirmed ONLY FOR THE istD for any other model Pentax in Utah should be able to answer the question.
11-18-2008, 04:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.
11-18-2008, 09:41 AM   #11
Banned

welcome, from Savannah, GA.
11-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Slan, Seamuis! Ah, is do flash synch inna choit o some voltage?

Now I've gotten my money's worth out of a few Gaelic lessons.

Pretty town, Savannah, not that everyone doesn't know that.

I've asked specifically about the K20 on another thread, btw, JC. If they don't know, I will *gladly* call Utah, and ask them. Good of you to mention it. Of course, it makes me want to go *back* in time to mess with myself circa 1987, when I got my 285, and say, "I'm you from the future. You will have a little mobile phone about this big, on which you will call Utah to find out something about the PC socket you want to plug this into."

Then past me would say, dubiously. 'Oh, really. How's the future of photography look for me?'

Then I'd say, 'Just keep the 285.'
11-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Then I'd say, 'Just keep the 285.'
I've had mine since the 70s. It remained unused for several years in the mid 80s and when I tried it, it wouldn't work but i refused to sell, throw it or give it away. Then I met Ian Steinbach who suggested I look at the contacts again. I did and it works as it did 30 years ago.

Yup, 'Just keep the 285.'