Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2021, 10:44 PM   #1

Greetings Can anybody help a newbie with brick after update.

Purched a second hand K-x and joined here for help etc as new to photography. Saw update info so checked and camera had ver 1.01 so downloaded from here the update, prepared the sd card, charged up the batteries. Started update and seemed OK then screen pixelated and eventually went blank. Left overnight and in the morning it was blank and would not switch on. Fitted new fully charged batteries and still no thing lights up. When I press shutter release lense tries to focus and shutter action happens but nothing else. Flash wont come up either. Have I now got a bricked camera and if so how do I fix it?

02-20-2021, 10:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, Harry. Have you tried to install the update again?
02-20-2021, 11:19 PM   #3
Closed Account

Hi Harry, welcome from Australia. As you say the lens tries to focus and the shutter fires, it seems unlikely that the camera has " bricked."
I suggest you get a good quality SD card and start over. Follow the tutorial below to the letter, and see if that helps. If not, the cost of repairing an older model like yours is not a good investment IMO. Good luck.

02-21-2021, 05:41 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, hope you get your issue resolved promptly

02-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, greetings from Greece!
02-21-2021, 11:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Welcome to the forums, greetings from Greece!
Hi Harry, if your Kx worked before the update then it is not a brick, just a glitch in the download. Reload the software update onto an SD card again (maybe a different one that has been reformatted). New batteries, maybe use a set of lithium just to be on the safe side in case rechargeable ones get slightly low during software installation and unit shutting down. Once reinstalled it should work fine, theoretically.
03-06-2021, 04:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
Not possible to format card on camera as IT'S A BRICK due to update from this site. Thoroughly annoyed that your update caused me to no longer have a working camera. What do you propose to do to rectify this situation quickly.

03-06-2021, 05:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Harry. The updates are not "ours". They belong to Ricoh and are hosted on their site. The update information specifically states that the update is carried out at your own risk.

As an aside, if it is bricked, there should be no attempt to focus or otherwise. It would be totally dead.
03-07-2021, 06:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Someone can correct me if I am not correct....can’t Harry use an SD card that is formatted in his computer and not in the camera? The camera is simply looking for the BIN file??

If I am correct, then Harry, put an SD card in your computer, right click it, hit format for the card. Then download the Ricoh firmware file, unzip, transfer necessary file to the card. Then card into the camera and follow instructions on line.

Have you done that yet????
03-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-x still very enjoyable camera

QuoteOriginally posted by Harry-bigtash Quote
Purched a second hand K-x and joined here for help etc as new to photography. Saw update info so checked and camera had ver 1.01 so downloaded from here the update, prepared the sd card, charged up the batteries. Started update and seemed OK then screen pixelated and eventually went blank. Left overnight and in the morning it was blank and would not switch on. Fitted new fully charged batteries and still no thing lights up. When I press shutter release lense tries to focus and shutter action happens but nothing else. Flash wont come up either. Have I now got a bricked camera and if so how do I fix it?
Right , all that does not make any sense. I do not have K-x any more but from memories and experience with other Pentaxes.
The flash release button is purely mechanical , nothing to do with batteries or firmware.
The camera is not bricked, the bricked = totally dead.
There is an "INFO" button on the back of the camera , you can completely disengage / disable the back LCD screen.
There is a manual for K-x in-there , please download it and have a look:
Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

---------- Post added 03-08-21 at 10:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Someone can correct me if I am not correct....can’t Harry use an SD card that is formatted in his computer and not in the camera? The camera is simply looking for the BIN file??

If I am correct, then Harry, put an SD card in your computer, right click it, hit format for the card. Then download the Ricoh firmware file, unzip, transfer necessary file to the card. Then card into the camera and follow instructions on line.

Have you done that yet????
yes , you can format SD card on PC or Mac computer.
just make sure that firmware data is unzipped and the wdc206b.bin file is place into the root directory on your SD card.
Follow the instructions:
Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
PLESE NOTE : there is mistake in-there , the :
"the route directory" means ( should be ) " the root directory"
04-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
04-27-2021, 04:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Harry-bigtash Quote
I've read through this thread and unfortunately have no idea of what you can do to correct your problem. I have two Kx cameras, both updated to the current version without problems. It is a good camera and mine have given me many good photos. Wishing you luck with this dilemma.
04-27-2021, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

are we resurrecting the old dead threads here?
I know everyone needs to get the magic number "6".
04-27-2021, 11:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
are we resurrecting the old dead threads here?
I know everyone needs to get the magic number "6".
Didn't you know you're not supposed to actually LOOK at the dates of posts before you quote or reply to them? That would be a little silly, wouldn't it?
04-28-2021, 01:19 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
did OP get this sorted?

I find firmware updates on anything nerve wracking these days - be good to know this got resolved