Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 08:52 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Analog PENTAX bodies

Hello, Pentaxians! This is my first post and I wish to congratulate all of you, out there, for this marvelous site. Big thanks to the admins and all the members. So far, I have found numerous helpful threads, articles, links, discussions, lens and camera analysis....etc. The list goes on.To make a long story short, this is, by far, the best place for us, PENTAX community. Thank you all for all the efforts.
Also, I have ab big dilemma, sort of a question for you, to help me in my choice. Recently, I was attracted with analog photography. It happened when I got a Revue AC4 SP (Chinon CP5s) in the bag, as a part of lens acquisition. I have bought a few vintage PENTAX and third party K-mount lenses and this camera was there, as a sort of a throw in present. I've been shooting two or three films with this Revue and there is no way back. The feeling is something special. I'll continue to shoot digital, sure thing (with my K20D and K100D) but now I want to get a couple of PENTAX analog cameras. I, already, have some vintage glass, manual, but I don't have film era AF lenses, only DA kit lens and 50-200mm ED WR. And here is a list o cameras that I have opportunity to buy. I need your help in decision to choose two from this list...manual and AF bodies. I would be very thankful for your help. Here is a list:
- PENTAX MZ-10
- PENTAX SF7
- PENTAX Z-10
- PENTAX P30t
- PENTAX Program A
- PENTAX K1000
- RICOH KR-10 Super
So, which two cameras, from this list, would be your choice? (You could choose one, too)
Thanks in advance. Long live Pentaxians. Cheers.

02-23-2021, 12:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From this list, the first choice should be the K1000. The workhorse, I don't know if you can break one of these things.
If you want another one, I would say either Program A or the p30t. Both are very good camera's.

The Z10 I wouldn't do, then you would be better off finding a Z20. Would give you bit more versitality

The SF7 is also a nice camera, but pretty big compared to the p30t and Program A
The MZ10, is a very nice light camera. But too many plastic components to be really durable. Even though I love mine.

The Ricoh, I have no experience with.
02-23-2021, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland
02-23-2021, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the community. Your list of choices is very interesting, I’m jealous. Many members have expressed their favor of the K1000. I haven’t worked with any of these bodies, but from time to time I gaze at some p30t auctions. It just has that look I fell for with the canon T-70 years ago. Anyway, I’m sorry I cannot be of any assistance. Hope you make the right decision.

02-23-2021, 04:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland
Thanks for the welcome, Kerrowdown. Scotland is beautiful, a marvelous country. Lot of great sites for Landscape Photography, with some PENTAX gear, sure! Cheers and best regards from Bosnia!
02-23-2021, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by vanArhcento Quote
Thanks for the welcome, Kerrowdown. Scotland is beautiful, a marvellous country. Lot of great sites for Landscape Photography, with some PENTAX gear, sure! Cheers and best regards from Bosnia!
You're most welcome... please remember to show us all your Bosnia, when you get a chance.
02-23-2021, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The KR-10 for its aperture priority "auto" mode. The MZ-10 for its ability to let the user decide on ISO instead of being DX only. But I would expect the MZ-10 to suffer mirror gear failure if it hasn't been updated already to a solid metal gear (search the internet for that one if you're interested). I wonder if a metal mount could be swapped onto the MZ-10 from a parts camera as well; seems likely.

Those are probably the two I would get out of that grouping. I never really fell into the cult of the K-1000. MZ-10 does everything the Program A does and a whole lot more.

02-23-2021, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

The K1000 is reliable but very basic. But the main problem with them is that they are mostly stupidly over-priced (good condition ones anyway), because a bit of a cult has grown up around them, rather like that around the old VW Beetle
02-23-2021, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

some of us like to advise how you should spend your money

I claim no particular expertise I just post a lot

although not on your list, I would recommend the Super Program aka Super A

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax Super Program (called Pentax Super A in some markets) is a versatile A-series film SLR featuring support for P, Tv, Av, and M exposure modes. You control the shutter speed using the push buttons on the camera, and the aperture via the aperture ring. Both can be set to auto (given you have an A-series lens or newer), which then brings the camera into Program mode. With M and K lenses Av and M exposure modes are available.

The Super Program was first Pentax with Program and Tv auto exposure and it also had TTL flash control, but even with the added electronics and mechanics the camera body is just about as compact as the original Pentax ME.

Disregarding the Pentax LX which is in a class by itself, the Pentax Super Program is the top model among all Pentax manual focus cameras when it comes to features and specifications.
Read more at: Pentax Super A / Super Program - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

or the LX

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax LX was introduced in 1980 as a system camera for the professional photographer. It is the only Pentax 35mm SLR to feature an exchangeable viewfinder - a total of 8 viewfinders were available together with 12 focusing screens. A large array of other accessories, hereunder a 5 fps motor drive and a 250 exposure film back were available as well.

The LX has Av auto exposure as well as metered manual.

The built-in exposure meter is very sensitive being able to meter down to -6.5 EV in auto exposure mode. In manual exposure mode the meter goes down to 1 EV. The meter reads the light reflected off of the first shutter curtain or off of the film during exposure. Manual metering as well as auto exposure are available no matter which view finder is being used.

The set shutter speed is shown in the viewfinder. Some of the viewfinders show the aperture as well via a window that projects the aperture value from the aperture ring into the view finder.

Manual exposure is set by adjusting shutter speed or aperture until the LED indicating shutter speed matches the needle of the light meter. When shooting in Av auto exposure mode a +/-2 EV exposure compensation is available but no exposure lock.

The camera can be operated without batteries in the mechanical shutter speed range 1/75s - 1/2000s.

The camera body is light but rugged and sealed against dust. The Pentax LX was produced through a time span of more than 15 years.
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-lx.html#ixzz6nJ0G9nvC

more information on the Pentax SLR cameras:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Film SLR Databases and Resources
Pentax Film SLR Databases and Resources - PentaxForums.com
02-23-2021, 02:21 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
From this list, the first choice should be the K1000. The workhorse, I don't know if you can break one of these things.
If you want another one, I would say either Program A or the p30t. Both are very good camera's.

The Z10 I wouldn't do, then you would be better off finding a Z20. Would give you bit more versitality

The SF7 is also a nice camera, but pretty big compared to the p30t and Program A
The MZ10, is a very nice light camera. But too many plastic components to be really durable. Even though I love mine.

The Ricoh, I have no experience with.
Thanks a lot, Macario. Your comment is helpful and K1000 will be one of the two, selected. Maybe, because all of the cult around this amera and I have the opportunity to get it in good condition with 70-210 vintage manual glass for around 60 $. Regarding the other camera, I'm stil reconsidering the list and Your tips are helpful. Thanks.
02-23-2021, 02:26 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
You're most welcome... please remember to show us all your Bosnia, when you get a chance.
Sure thing, Kerrowdown. I'll post some photos of Bosnia and Herzegovina, when I find some time and when I make a selection, worthy of pantaxforums site. Stay tuned Thanks for the comment. Cheers.
02-23-2021, 02:31 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Welcome to the community. Your list of choices is very interesting, I’m jealous. Many members have expressed their favor of the K1000. I haven’t worked with any of these bodies, but from time to time I gaze at some p30t auctions. It just has that look I fell for with the canon T-70 years ago. Anyway, I’m sorry I cannot be of any assistance. Hope you make the right decision.
Thanks for the welcome, Michail_P. Your comment is helpful, because I still reconsider the P30t as a rather practical camera and handy one, too. Thanks a lot. Cheers.
02-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

some of us like to advise how you should spend your money

I claim no particular expertise I just post a lot

although not on your list, I would recommend the Super Program aka Super A

Read more at: Pentax Super A / Super Program - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

or the LX

Read more at: Pentax LX - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

more information on the Pentax SLR cameras:

Pentax Film SLR Databases and Resources - PentaxForums.com
Dear aslyfox. First of all, thanks for the welcome and the lovely text! There is a good spirit around Your welcome tex,t spiced with a good humor. Pentaxian like. Also, thank You for the links and explanations. Unfortunately LX and Super Program are not on the list, Program A is on the list and it is, as I can see, basically a trimmed Super Program. Also it is most helpful to read what Super Program is capable of. LX? Well, well...there is none here, locally, available. Yes, there are some LX bodies, on e-bay, but this is a local seller and the list from the post is an offer from a local guy. It will not be expensive and I am attracted to analog photography, so pentaxforums is the best place to seek advice and answers from experienced members. I'm sure I'll buy the K1000...for the other one, we'll see, soon. Thank You and cheers!
02-23-2021, 02:51 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The KR-10 for its aperture priority "auto" mode. The MZ-10 for its ability to let the user decide on ISO instead of being DX only. But I would expect the MZ-10 to suffer mirror gear failure if it hasn't been updated already to a solid metal gear (search the internet for that one if you're interested). I wonder if a metal mount could be swapped onto the MZ-10 from a parts camera as well; seems likely.

Those are probably the two I would get out of that grouping. I never really fell into the cult of the K-1000. MZ-10 does everything the Program A does and a whole lot more.
Dear pres589, thank You for this comment. It is different and makes me to re-consider MZ-10 and KR-10. You have presented the facts and I+m most thankful. There is one thing I'll admit...I can not resist to get the K1000 and yes, You are right...there is some sort of a cult around this camera. I have a chance to get it, in a good condition and for acceptable price, along with some vintage manual zoom 70-210. K1000 and the glass for 60$. I intend to shoot with it. I never had the opportunity to shoot with this camera and it is a basic one, but has a good reputation. Thank You for Your advices regarding Pentax MZ-10 and Ricoh KR-10. I'll have that in mind for the final decision. Best regards.
02-23-2021, 02:56 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
The K1000 is reliable but very basic. But the main problem with them is that they are mostly stupidly over-priced (good condition ones anyway), because a bit of a cult has grown up around them, rather like that around the old VW Beetle
Thanks, Lord Lucan, for Your comment. Yes, the cult around K1000 is there, You are right. I think it deserves it, but I still don't know...never had an opportunity to use it, but now I'll have, because it is in a good condition and wil come with a vintage zoom glass for 60$. I think the price is ok. I wanted to see how it look liketo, actually, shoot with this camera and I intend to use it. Thanks a lot for Your observation. Most helpful. Cheers.