Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #1

Me, Pentaxian by coincidence or: Just a "brief" introduction of myself.

Hello everybody,

I would like to take the opportunity to introduce myself by a (more or less) brief recapitulation of of my previous journey in photography within the next lines.

Since the last decade, I occasionally visit the forum here for researching and reading about various photography-related topics, recommendations and opinions. Especially after last year's coincidence that brought me finally into the Pentax universe, I thought, it would be nice to join the community as well.

My generation is probably the last that experienced film photography to be the normal "everyday photography" before digital cameras took over. I started to take pictures around 2000 (point-and-shoot) and switched to digital around 2008 (Canon EOS 1000D), two years after my father gave his old Zenit film SLR as a birthday present to me. Later, in 2013, I upgraded to the least expensive full frame DSLR available at the time, my previous main camera, my 5D Mark II. In the same year, the shutter of my 1000D died during a trip. Fortunately, I already had the "replacement" which made me justify the investment retroactively. (I repaired/replaced the shutter blades) few years later.

I never had many "native" lenses for the EOS system, just the standard kit lens(es) (and a Tamron all-round zoom for my 1000D) for every situation. However, I almost exclusively re-used the hand full of old (more or less cheap) primes my father had for his Zenit on my 5D – thankfully with the easy adaptable M42 mount. One of them being the prestigious Jena Pancolar. Still a stellar performer although of its really bad shape in which I received it.

Most of the time, I went the manual way: Manual focus, manual aperture. Checking exposure with the camera's built-in meter (or the preview from time to time). I do not mind focussing manually, nor setting the (right) exposure. I learned it earlier as a child and I like the control and feel manual photography implies. And if something is moving fast, you have to learn to focus fast. Autofocus can help, but I simply do not like to rely too much on it. Furthermore, I cannot understand people who claim Pentax to have a bad auto-focus system. Coming from a 5D Mark II, I cannot complain on my current main camera at all.

But what made me coincidently become a Pentaxian?
In the spare time of my studies at university, I started to shoot film again and always had a camera in my bag. Forcing myself to go outside and shoot (besides, with a rangefinder of my father, a Ricoh 500GX which I almost exclusively used with film before switching to a Pentax).

A few years ago, I bought a few new lenses (M42) for use on my 5D and then an old "broken" Spotmatic (SP), because my old Zenit had developed some severe issues (that I still have to fix sometime) and prevent shooting. Furthermore, the Zenit lacks exposure times longer than 1/30s which I often use. With the Spotmatic, I immediately felt at home. Besides, it is not broken at all. I still use it with pleasure today; it replaced the Ricoh as my carry-along camera. It had just required some drops of oil into the gears and works like a charm since. At some time I should service it or have it serviced, though.

Over the years, I built a collection of lenses and cameras, mainly lenses to adapt the lenses to my 5D (and use them with film, of course). From time to time, I also repair some of them for use or just get some to repairing them – just for fun – and to learn how they work. But I had no Pentax (K) until last year.
I seriously considered a lens for night and low-light photography with my 5D. Somehow, I found myself in this forum (once again) and searched information on the SMC Pentax 1:1.2 50mm and samples I could not have found anywhere else in the web that comprehensively. The lens. Rather seldom (at least in Europe), yet beautiful.

Some months later, after intensive searches for any offer (outside the Pentax Forums – I just signed up in the end of last year), I finally found a copy available in my country in a reasonable condition at a fair price – and bought it. And an adapter for the 5D. To add: I do not buy any lenses that I cannot use both with film and digital. And in the meantime, I already had a Pentax K series film SLR. But I did not consider the 5D's mirror which has often been the issue with modifying lenses for adaption. Mounting the lens after switching to live view every time would not be a satisfying solution to me. Furthermore, in this scenario I could also not use the viewfinder. I do not like live view (nor electronic viewfinders) much, although they are helpful under certain circumstances, just like autofocus. But I simply do not like them nor use them very often.

An other approach would have been to always remove the aperture lever from the lens when using it on the 5D and afterwards, before using it in the film bodies, re-assemble it. Way too much effort. And the worst possible scenario: Cutting off the aperture lever. Well, I have absolutely no idea why anybody would do this desperate irreversible modification. You would also not cut off one or more of your toes if your foot would not have fitted into a particular shoe, right?

In the end, I also bought a Pentax K-1 which I secretly planned to switch to since it was released, but I could never justify the step earlier. With already owning the lens (and after seven years of using my 5D), it was possible – or at least not that hard. Through the years I read much about Pentax and learned about the Pentax camera's qualities. If I had known it better in the beginning, I would have chosen Pentax in the first place. There is also something very hard to explain if one did not experience this on her/his own: For me, it is hard to switch from FF back to APS-C. I experience it even worse on film, when going back from 120 to 135.

Although the K-1 is not perfect with respect to every detail, compared to the workarounds required in the 5D to achieve the desired image quality, the K-1 just seems and feels right. Notwithstanding this, I am very happy with both and will still continue to use my 5D from time to time.

- LEENUX

02-22-2021, 10:55 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have a 'brief' intro like I tell a 'short' story.

Lots of words. But nothing wrong with that, it's an interesting tale to get to where you are now.

Welcome to the forums mate, I hope it's a place you get lots of enjoyment out of and choose to share some images with us along the way.

Tas
02-22-2021, 11:42 PM   #3
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from Australia.
02-23-2021, 01:53 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your photography the Pentax way.

02-23-2021, 02:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting route to Pentax and thankfully one precious 50/1.2 saved . Welcome to the forum, I'd be interested to see what you do with it.

Beste Grüße aus Leipzig, Jens
02-23-2021, 03:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your photography, by any means. Greetings from Greece, LEENUX.