Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #16

Welcome!

05-02-2021, 03:44 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from Australia

You live in a lovely city I had the opportunity of visiting about 7 years ago. Somewhere I have a photo from inside the St Mary's of the bells that fell during an air raid in 1942. as you will know when the church was restored the broken bells were left where they fell as a reminder of the terrible effects of war.
05-03-2021, 02:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Welcome from the fenlands of England!
05-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
Good day, everyone!
After gaining my first hands-on to a proper digital camera through a new friend and a few evenings of furious reading and recherche, I've finally dipped my toes into the pool of DSLR.
Since I'm still a student, and budget-conscious in general, Pentax quickly became the most logical choice for me, given the very affordable used bodies and a huge range of vintage lenses.

And as of today, I am the proud owner of a Pentax K10D - only with the standard kit lens so far, but two more are on the way
I immediately took advantage of the sudden bout of sunshine in Northern Germany today and went outside for a few first pictures, still a bit anxious about walking around carrying such a relatively huge camera, when all I was used to so far was a smartphone.
My first impressions of the body are very good - The K10D fits my hands much more comfortably than the Canon 1300D I was able to try out earlier, the auto zoom is far more responsive than I expected, as is the general software handling.
The kit lens, SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm zoom feels very light and plasticky, but managed to shoot some decent photos nonetheless. I can't wait to see how more quality lenses and primes will perform

I'll attach three of the images I took today, they certainly aren't anything special, but at least special to me
Welcome to the forum. Your photos look like they are special to you. I especially like the cat photo, reminds me of my son's cat.

05-06-2021, 05:36 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterPro Quote
Hi, welcome to the forums!
QuoteOriginally posted by photoaki Quote
Welcome!
QuoteOriginally posted by archaeodude Quote
Welcome from the fenlands of England!
Thank you all!
I'm surprised at the sudden inrush of new replies to my introduction thread.
And as has happened to probably most, I now feel a bit ashamed about my first images posted here, even after just two months of experience

---------- Post added 05-06-21 at 05:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by saley Quote
You live in a lovely city I had the opportunity of visiting about 7 years ago. Somewhere I have a photo from inside the St Mary's of the bells that fell during an air raid in 1942. as you will know when the church was restored the broken bells were left where they fell as a reminder of the terrible effects of war.
I must say I'm not too familiar with the history of the city, and have only been inside two of the churches here.
I believe about half of the buildings were destroyed, and you can certainly tell which ones have been rebuilt.
Thankfully there are still many wonderful corners and old brick buildings and walls around and I count myself lucky to have a small flat right in the heart of it. So many beautiful old facades in my street alone, and plenty of cobblestone. Nice to look at, but when you're going by bike, you have to fear it'll shake loose every screw

---------- Post added 05-06-21 at 05:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Welcome to the forum. Your photos look like they are special to you. I especially like the cat photo, reminds me of my son's cat.
Sadly it's not "my" cat, but rather belongs to another tenant in the house. Still I'm always happy to see her around, and give her a few headscratches whenever I have the time
05-06-2021, 04:48 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you all!
I'm surprised at the sudden inrush of new replies to my introduction thread.
And as has happened to probably most, I now feel a bit ashamed about my first images posted here, even after just two months of experience

---------- Post added 05-06-21 at 05:39 AM ----------

I must say I'm not too familiar with the history of the city, and have only been inside two of the churches here.
I believe about half of the buildings were destroyed, and you can certainly tell which ones have been rebuilt.
Thankfully there are still many wonderful corners and old brick buildings and walls around and I count myself lucky to have a small flat right in the heart of it. So many beautiful old facades in my street alone, and plenty of cobblestone. Nice to look at, but when you're going by bike, you have to fear it'll shake loose every screw

---------- Post added 05-06-21 at 05:40 AM ----------

Sadly it's not "my" cat, but rather belongs to another tenant in the house. Still I'm always happy to see her around, and give her a few headscratches whenever I have the time
I see no reason to be ashamed of your posted photos, you are taking shots and practicing, you can only improve.

You probably have a better idea about the history of you town than many here. Keep shooting and posting.

Despite it npt being your cat, it still reminds me of my son's. lol
05-06-2021, 08:51 PM   #22

Vancouver is a lovely place to be from!

05-07-2021, 05:37 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums!
05-07-2021, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you all!
So many beautiful old facades in my street alone, and plenty of cobblestone. Nice to look at, but when you're going by bike, you have to fear it'll shake loose every screw

Growing up we'd visit Fremont, Ohio - and ride bikes on those brick and cobblestone streets in the old neighborhood. Brick wasn't too bad but the stone streets were real butt-killers. They're probably all paved over now, but this was the 1970s.
05-07-2021, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome.

And as it happens, I have now gotten my hands on not just one, but two primes via eBay - a Pentax SMC 1:1.7 50mm, and a "Pancake" Phenix MC 1:1.7 50mm
I think the Phoenix is the same as the Rikenon and it is difficult to choose between the Pentax & the Phoenix. Both are very sharp.

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Nice camera, that K10D. I have one as well, and really love the natural, deep colour rendering from the CCD sensor.
The CCD sensors indeed do render colors with fidelity.
05-08-2021, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums from another Northern resident in Germany Yes it is sunny today and it's predicted to be even better tomorrow. Enjoy your new kit. the kit lens is very capable and wont let you down. Looking forward to see your pictures in the Photo-critique section.
05-08-2021, 05:48 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
Welcome.

I think the Phoenix is the same as the Rikenon and it is difficult to choose between the Pentax & the Phoenix. Both are very sharp.

The CCD sensors indeed do render colors with fidelity.
I've sold off the Phenix since then, trying to reduce my equipment stash a bit.
For now I'm mostly using two Pentax vintage M42 lenses, the Takumar 135/3.5 and 55/1.8, but the 50mm F/1.7 is just such a nice and small lens that it'll surely see more use another day

---------- Post added 05-08-21 at 05:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
Welcome to the forums from another Northern resident in Germany Yes it is sunny today and it's predicted to be even better tomorrow. Enjoy your new kit. the kit lens is very capable and wont let you down. Looking forward to see your pictures in the Photo-critique section.
Since my first post here, I've vastly expanded my lens range, mostly with manual vintage glass. I'm taken with the stellar craftsmanship of old lenses.
I'll be visiting my parents soon, travelling by bike and train, so I had to make a tough choice and only bring what fit into my camera bag

I decided on bringing the kit lens, because it's still my most wide-angled one, and together with an old Sigma 70-300mm, I can cover a very large focal length range.
They live in Mannheim, a rather large city close to Frankfurt, with lots of old and new buildings, and also the Rhine and some nature close by, so I'll be sure to take many photos

Last edited by blankmampf; 05-08-2021 at 06:22 AM.