Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2021, 10:47 AM   #1
Junior Member
blankmampf's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Lübeck
Posts: 38
Hello from lovely Lübeck, Germany

Good day, everyone!
After gaining my first hands-on to a proper digital camera through a new friend and a few evenings of furious reading and recherche, I've finally dipped my toes into the pool of DSLR.
Since I'm still a student, and budget-conscious in general, Pentax quickly became the most logical choice for me, given the very affordable used bodies and a huge range of vintage lenses.

And as of today, I am the proud owner of a Pentax K10D - only with the standard kit lens so far, but two more are on the way
I immediately took advantage of the sudden bout of sunshine in Northern Germany today and went outside for a few first pictures, still a bit anxious about walking around carrying such a relatively huge camera, when all I was used to so far was a smartphone.
My first impressions of the body are very good - The K10D fits my hands much more comfortably than the Canon 1300D I was able to try out earlier, the auto zoom is far more responsive than I expected, as is the general software handling.
The kit lens, SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm zoom feels very light and plasticky, but managed to shoot some decent photos nonetheless. I can't wait to see how more quality lenses and primes will perform

I'll attach three of the images I took today, they certainly aren't anything special, but at least special to me

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-24-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,461
Welcome to the forum!
Regards,
Mark
aotearoa
02-24-2021, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 224
Welcome to the forum! Lovely town you live in. I visited there many years ago, and still have family in nearby Kiel. I fear if I lived in Lübeck I would gain 10kg in a month from eating all the Niederegger marzipan -- they really do make the world's best.

Nice camera, that K10D. I have one as well, and really love the natural, deep colour rendering from the CCD sensor. And the camera really responds to good lenses. It will be interesting to see if you notice how much better a good prime works over the kit lens.

Best regards,
Svend
02-24-2021, 01:47 PM   #4
Junior Member
blankmampf's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Lübeck
Posts: 38
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Welcome to the forum! Lovely town you live in. I visited there many years ago, and still have family in nearby Kiel. I fear if I lived in Lübeck I would gain 10kg in a month from eating all the Niederegger marzipan -- they really do make the world's best.

Nice camera, that K10D. I have one as well, and really love the natural, deep colour rendering from the CCD sensor. And the camera really responds to good lenses. It will be interesting to see if you notice how much better a good prime works over the kit lens.

Best regards,
Svend
Thank you very much!
It's a lovely town indeed I hope I'll be able to make some nice images of all the Backstein-Buildings soon. And, by chance, they also sell Niederegger marzipan in a literal brick size!

I can't compare the large-scale CCD to a CMOS due to lack of experience, but I was positively surprised so far with its performance; I thought it would feel more "antiquated", but I've seen some incredibly nice nature images online that really managed to persuade me.

And as it happens, I have now gotten my hands on not just one, but two primes via eBay - a Pentax SMC 1:1.7 50mm, and a "Pancake" Phenix MC 1:1.7 50mm.
That's what you get for sending out two price offers at once but it'll be interesting to compare them. And at a mere 20€ a pop I feel like it's worth getting them just to test

02-24-2021, 01:49 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 51,783
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your future photography the Pentax way.
02-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
Thank you very much!
It's a lovely town indeed I hope I'll be able to make some nice images of all the Backstein-Buildings soon. And, by chance, they also sell Niederegger marzipan in a literal brick size!

I can't compare the large-scale CCD to a CMOS due to lack of experience, but I was positively surprised so far with its performance; I thought it would feel more "antiquated", but I've seen some incredibly nice nature images online that really managed to persuade me.

And as it happens, I have now gotten my hands on not just one, but two primes via eBay - a Pentax SMC 1:1.7 50mm, and a "Pancake" Phenix MC 1:1.7 50mm.
That's what you get for sending out two price offers at once but it'll be interesting to compare them. And at a mere 20€ a pop I feel like it's worth getting them just to test
That SMC 50/1.7 is a terrific lens. I have the M version which I use on my MX film camera, and it's very sharp. If yours is a manual focus version, then you will have to go into camera settings to allow use of the aperture ring.

Re. CCD vs. CMOS, I have both (K10D and K5ii), and I find the colours and contrast rendering of the CCD is more natural and "organic" (for lack of a better word). With a bit of work in the editor I can get the K5ii raw images looking very, very close to the K10D, but it takes work. From the K10D the raw files are often spot-on right out of camera. Amazing.

Brick-size Niederegger?! I'd be in a sugar coma within days. My resistance to that stuff is exactly zero.
02-24-2021, 02:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,530
Welcome to Pentax Forums.

I also had a Pentax 18-55 (AL II model), and I really got some very nice photos with it. I have since sold it and got a Pentax 16-85, but the 18-55 did very well in most instances, and I learned quite a lot using it.
02-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #8
Junior Member
blankmampf's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Lübeck
Posts: 38
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
That SMC 50/1.7 is a terrific lens. I have the M version which I use on my MX film camera, and it's very sharp. If yours is a manual focus version, then you will have to go into camera settings to allow use of the aperture ring.

Re. CCD vs. CMOS, I have both (K10D and K5ii), and I find the colours and contrast rendering of the CCD is more natural and "organic" (for lack of a better word). With a bit of work in the editor I can get the K5ii raw images looking very, very close to the K10D, but it takes work. From the K10D the raw files are often spot-on right out of camera. Amazing.

Brick-size Niederegger?! I'd be in a sugar coma within days. My resistance to that stuff is exactly zero.
I believe we'll be using the same lens then, mine is also M I enjoy going after flowers and plants the most, so I figured a fast lens around 50mm would be best, to get a sharp object that's well-differentiated from a blurry background. And those 50mm/1.7 or 1.9 just can't be beat in terms of price.

I've heard the K10D CCD being described as more "film-like". I haven't delved much into RAW editing, but it's true that I only had to raise the brightness a tiny bit on today's yield - either that, or the images were beyond saving anyway. Maybe it just pays off getting the last ( = the most-iterated and best-developed?) version of a piece of tech.

---------- Post added 02-24-21 at 02:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Welcome to Pentax Forums.

I also had a Pentax 18-55 (AL II model), and I really got some very nice photos with it. I have since sold it and got a Pentax 16-85, but the 18-55 did very well in most instances, and I learned quite a lot using it.
It certainly is a nice starting point for close- and medium-range photography. There's still lots for me to learn, I have a rough idea about focal length, F-Stops, exposure time and ISO, but when it comes to their interplay, things get complicated very quickly....

02-24-2021, 02:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,988
Welcome to the forum, by a Niederegger-loving Spaniard in Dresden :P

The 18-55 is perfectly capable of making very nice images, and the 50/1.7 will be a superb portrait lens on your K10D - the bokeh is lovely. Take it easy, snap away and see how the different parts of the exposure triangle play together... it will end up clicking (hah) so you'll feel more at home adjusting on the fly very soon
02-24-2021, 03:01 PM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Welcome to the forum, by a Niederegger-loving Spaniard in Dresden :P

The 18-55 is perfectly capable of making very nice images, and the 50/1.7 will be a superb portrait lens on your K10D - the bokeh is lovely. Take it easy, snap away and see how the different parts of the exposure triangle play together... it will end up clicking (hah) so you'll feel more at home adjusting on the fly very soon
Agreed -- I had the WR version and gave it to my daughter to use on her K10D. A couple of weeks ago it was snowing heavily here and I really missed having the weather sealing -- I only had a 50-135 AW lens along, which worked great, but my wide zoom was not weather sealed. Now wishing I'd kept the 18-55 :-) It can give very good results. I might have to steal it back
02-24-2021, 03:08 PM   #11
Junior Member
blankmampf's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Lübeck
Posts: 38
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Agreed -- I had the WR version and gave it to my daughter to use on her K10D. A couple of weeks ago it was snowing heavily here and I really missed having the weather sealing -- I only had a 50-135 AW lens along, which worked great, but my wide zoom was not weather sealed. Now wishing I'd kept the 18-55 :-) It can give very good results. I might have to steal it back
The factory weather sealing on the K10D was another thing that made my ears prick up! I heard a funny story of a photographer at the beach - He was surprised by a wave while standing with his back to the ocean. Bystanders thought: Well, his camera is now ruined. And were even more baffled when he rinsed off the saltwater under a nearby faucet.
Too bad that WR rating demands a premium. Given the ubiquity of cheap Pentax lenses, I may try to open one of the low-quality lenses and see if there may be a way to DIY waterproof them. In theory, O-rings at the right places should be enough, after all.
02-24-2021, 03:22 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,576
Welcome from Chicago!

I started with a K10, added a split focus screen which was nice for manual lenses. If you have plenty of light, the camera is fantastic.

Check out the wide angle DA 21mm pancake lens, it is a great fit on that K10D


I've been caught in the rain with my K5D and DA 18-135. No big deal, but after a bad unexpected soaking it did act buggy for a few weeks, the trigger didn't quite act right. Seems fine now, several years later.

Pentax bodies are built like hammers.
02-24-2021, 03:24 PM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
The factory weather sealing on the K10D was another thing that made my ears prick up! I heard a funny story of a photographer at the beach - He was surprised by a wave while standing with his back to the ocean. Bystanders thought: Well, his camera is now ruined. And were even more baffled when he rinsed off the saltwater under a nearby faucet.
Too bad that WR rating demands a premium. Given the ubiquity of cheap Pentax lenses, I may try to open one of the low-quality lenses and see if there may be a way to DIY waterproof them. In theory, O-rings at the right places should be enough, after all.

For sure -- the weather sealing of the Pentax DSLRs was what finally won me over to going digital. My daughter and I did a trip to Iceland a couple of years ago -- I had only film cameras along, and she had her non-sealed Olympus Pen mirrorless. Well, it rained half the time so we missed shooting some amazing moody scenery because the cameras would have been ruined. Coming home I immediately bought the K5ii. Easy decision.
02-24-2021, 03:50 PM   #14
Junior Member
blankmampf's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Lübeck
Posts: 38
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome from Chicago!

I started with a K10, added a split focus screen which was nice for manual lenses. If you have plenty of light, the camera is fantastic.

Check out the wide angle DA 21mm pancake lens, it is a great fit on that K10D


I've been caught in the rain with my K5D and DA 18-135. No big deal, but after a bad unexpected soaking it did act buggy for a few weeks, the trigger didn't quite act right. Seems fine now, several years later.

Pentax bodies are built like hammers.
I've heard nothing but great praise about the Limited pentax lenses, but sadly they're quite far outside of my budget range, with me still being a student and all.
If this hobby continues to take off, I plan on getting more high-quality lenses, though. It seems the quality of your photos depend less on the body and more on the lenses, and thanks to Pentax K, you can easily re-use them on more modern bodies, build your own repertoire over time.
Reply
« hello! | Hafa Adai »

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, ccd, germany, k10d, k5ii, kit, lens, lenses, pentax
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from Germany!!! CarlosIII Welcomes and Introductions 16 11-06-2020 05:46 AM
Travel Lübeck From 36 Angles Jens Lyn IV Post Your Photos! 1 12-10-2019 02:58 PM
Hello from another guy of Germany HolgerS Welcomes and Introductions 8 08-31-2019 09:39 AM
Travel Lübeck Jens Lyn IV Post Your Photos! 4 02-19-2016 08:11 PM
Misc lovely girl and lovely dog :) olegp Post Your Photos! 1 11-04-2014 01:58 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:55 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top